- 1 Background
- 2 War Times
- 3 Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- 4 Stand Up Louisville
- 5 Ear to the Ground Project
- 6 Media Action Grassroots Network
- 7 RoadMap
- 8 Book talk with Jamala Rogers
- 9 Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
- 10 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 11 Organizing Upgrade Bloggers
- 12 References
"My mother was a NY black panther and educator. She taught me early that cultural change precedes and foments political change. It was in the light of her love and leadership that I grew as a poet, as writer, as a community organizer, and as a communications strategist, and it is in the shadow of her passing on that I continue her legacy with open arms, and an open heart."
Malkia Cyril is the co-founder and Executive Director of the Center for Media Justice (CMJ). Launched in 2007, the Center for Media Justice is a national communications training, strategy, and action center to strengthen social movements for racial justice.
As an award-winning organizer and communications leader, Malkia has more than 15 years experience conceiving and crafting powerful strategies for grassroots communications and media organizing initiatives.
Malkia has appeared in documentaries such as Outfoxed, Fenced Out, Broadcast Blues, and MissRepresentation; and is the author of numerous essays and articles on media, marginalization, and movement building appearing in the Nation, the SF Chronicle, and several books including Fighting for Air.
Endorsers of the project included Malkia Cyril, We Interrupt This Message .
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
Stand Up Louisville
April Taylor July 29, 2015; With Jonathan Lykes, Charlene Carruthers, Ashley Yates, Chaz Briscoe, Osagyefo Sekou, Della V. Mosley, Temperance Brennen, Zakiya Sankara-Jabar, Jacqui Bolden, Ash-Lee Henderson, Maurice Moe Mitchell, Erika Totten, Chanelle Helm, De Nichols, Jacqui Germain, Tara Pruitt, Ashley B. Sunshine, Alisha Sonnier, Malkia Cyril, Enchanta Ma'at Jackson, Ashe Helm-Hernandez, Opal Ayo, Sistufara W. Muhammad, Stand Up Sunday- Stand Up Louisville and Stop Mass Incarceration Network KY.
Ear to the Ground Project
- We would like to express our deep respect and appreciation for everyone who took the time to talk with us, and the organizations that generously hosted us during our travels. Interviews were confidential, but the following people have agreed to have their names listed for this publication:
Most of those listed were connected to Freedom Road Socialist Organization.
Malkia Cyril was among those on the list. 
Media Action Grassroots Network
Nijmie Dzurinko July 16, 2013:
Media Action Grassroots Network staff and board convening! — with Karlos Gauna Schmieder, Nick Szuberla, Steven Renderos, Jen Soriano, Malkia Cyril, Amy Sonnie, Alison Roh Park, Betty Yu, Oshen Rose and Brandi Collins.
Book talk with Jamala Rogers
518 Valencia St, San Francisco Sunday 7 February 2016, organized by Michelle Foy "Book talk with Jamala Rogers, founder of the St. Louis based Organization for Black Struggle & author of Ferguson is America: Roots of Rebel".
- Jamala will explore the roots of the Ferguson Rebellion and the practical lessons for organizing.
- "There is no algorithm, no theory that can predict when human rage reaches its boiling point. I wanted to expose to some and to remind others that there is another side of Ferguson, St. Louis County, USA that exists...if we work together in a respectful & disciplined way, a new Ferguson, St. Louis, & USA, is possible." —Jamala Rogers
Those signalling their intention to attend on Wherevent included Georgia Faye Hirsty, Melanie McCrea, Joe Navarro, Michelle Foy, Cynthia Fong, Gerald Lenoir, Fernando Marti, Lucia Aguilar-Navarro, Joyce Nakamura, Jeremy Gong, Jason Wallach, Andrew Rogge, Lucy Clarke, Colleen FitzSimons, Saima Hashimi, Rachel Rye Butler, Pam Tau Lee, Afomeia Tesfai, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, Kari Riesgo Banuelos, Eva Martinez, Justin Tombolesi, Josh Warren-White, Kate Sorensen, Malkia Cyril, Lelia Gomez, Mark Prudowsky, N’Tanya Lee, Marcy Rein, Finley Coyl, Shina Riane, Ken Yamada, Dyan Ruiz, Nancy Wan, Sarah Jarmon, Mark McBeth, Leon Sun, Sabrina Cascos Peterson, Mary Sweeters, Eric See, Dani Gonzalez, Mashael Majid, Susan Weiss, Juan Gamboa, Jr., Amy Sonnie, Felicia Gustin, Mickey Ellinger, Betty Pazmino, Charlie Fredrick, Aimee Molina Cuellar, Becki Ming-Yoke Hom.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those invited, on Facebook included Malkia Cyril.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Malkia Cyril.
Organizing Upgrade Bloggers
As of December 23, 2017, Bloggers on the Organizing Upgrade website were;
- Kamau Franklin
- Maria Poblet
- Malkia Cyril
- Bill Fletcher, Jr.
- Subhash Kateel
- Marisa Franco
- B. Loewe
- Leftist at Work
- Rachel Parsons
- Eric Mann
- WAR TIMES January 29, 2002
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- Ear to the Ground, About, accessed Nov. 12, 2015
- RoadMap bio
- Wherevent Book talk with Jamala Rogers, founder of the St. Louis based Organization for Black Struggle & author of Ferguson is America: Roots of Rebel
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109