Template:TOCnestleft Rev. Osagyefo Uhuru Sekou worked at Fellowship of Reconciliation. Lives in St. Louis, Missouri. He has a band "Rev. Sekou & the Holy Ghost". he was formerly the pastor, of the First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts.
- Studied at Harvard University
- Went to Soldan High School
Left Forum 2011
What is to be done?:
Sponsored by: Democratic Socialists of America; Religious Caucus
- Rev. Claudia de la Cruz, Iglesia San Romero United Church of Christ, Washington Heights, NY
- Rev. Dr. Mark L. Chapman, Hollis Presbyterian Church, Hollis, Queens
- Rev. Dr. Mark Taylor, Church of the Open Door, Fort Greene, Brooklyn
- Rev. Osagyefo Uhuru Sekou, Lemuel Haynes Congregational Church, Jamaica, Queens
- Rev. Theodora Brooks, St. Margaret's Episcopal Church, Longwood, South Bronx
- Rev. Winnie Varghese, St. Mark's in the Bowery, Episcopal Church, Lower Eastside, Manhattan
Judith LeBlanc February 16, 2016 near New York, NY ·
- This was the key to success of the Global Day Feb 15, 2003 the World Says No to War action and every anti war demo there after...rubbish picking for cardboard polls for signs. — with Jonathan Matthew Smucker, Leslie Kielson, Beka Economopoulos, Leslie Cagan, Osagyefo Sekou, Leslie Kauffman, Hany Khalil and Diane Greene Lent.
Latinos for Peace
On October 31 2009, Latinos For Peace issued a statement calling for “no escalation of the war in Afghanistan and for expedited withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan as well as an end to the coup government in Honduras”.
More than 100 activists endorsed the call, including Osagyefo Uhuru Sekou, New York.
Hangin' with the WWP
Steve Kirschbaum, May 10, 2015;
- A snapshot from the incredible #Law4BlackLives conference, featuring HRP Director Shani Jamila, Ajamu Baraka, Lisa Crooms, Jaribu Hill and Rev. Osagyefo Sekou.
Moral Mondays CT
Pamela Moore Selders August 15, 2015;
Pamela Moore Selders, Bishop John Selders Bree Newsome, Dr. Cornell West, Rev. Osagyefo Sekou and the ARLTF, MoralMondayCT crew! — with Alexa Morales, Jay Selders, Jason Fredlund, Domonique Griffin, Cornell Lewis, Nicolas Robert, Allison Read.
Left Forum 2015
Ferguson to New York: Faces and Voices of a Movement
- Jim Vrettos, Chair ............................... John Jay College -- Sociology Department
- Immortal Technique ............................................................................... Viper Records
- Danny Aguilar ...............................................................Union Theological Seminary
- Reverend Osagyefo Sekou ............................ Fellowship of Reconcilliation
- Leslie MacFadyen ........................................................ Ferguson Response Network
- Tamika Mallory .................................Executive Director, National Action Network
- Carmen Perez ...................................Executive Director, The Gathering For Justice
- Sahaah Jordan
Ethan Vesely-Flad January 4, 2015;
- "America Wake Up" (aka my child is further evidence that The Youth Shall Lead Us) courtesy of Daniel Ismael Aguilar — with Osagyefo Sekou in Ferguson, Missouri.
From Ferguson to Palestine
- Our team of connectors are all people who use their platform - whether that is as an artist, speaker, author, organizer, etc - to help further the mission of Showing Up for Racial Justice, engaging more white people in our shared work for racial justice.
Black Lives Matter
An Open Love Letter to White Unitarian Universalists Struggling With Their Commitment to Black Lives Matter
- Dear UU Fellowship at Salisbury,
- Our commitment to living the values of our faith is being tested. We are standing in the storm of reaction against the Black Lives Matter movement. Now is the time when we must ask ourselves, “do we become even more out and proud for racial justice or do we shrink down in retreat?”
- With FOX news leading a media frenzy denouncing the Black Lives Matter movement as a hate group, as terrorists, as anti-white, some of us are retreating from wearing Black Lives Matter buttons and some of us are questioning whether or not to take down the Black Lives Matter banners from our churches.
August 2015, dozens of protesters were arrested Monday outside the U.S. attorney's office in downtown St. Louis during a demonstration against police brutality.
DeRay Mckesson and Johnetta Elzie -- prominent activists in the Black Lives Matter movement -- were among the 57 people detained during the sit-in. They were released after being issued a summons alleging obstruction of the courthouse doorways, U.S. Attorney Richard Callahan said in a statement.
The rally, which Callahan said included as many as 200 people, was a part of Moral Mondays, a nationwide social justice movement that began in North Carolina in response to the state legislature's conservative shift. The campaign moved to St. Louis this week, calling on the Department of Justice to take action against police violence toward black people.
Solidarity Against Racism, October 14, 2015;
- With Al Osorio, Jeremy Miller, Christopherj Woods, John Earl Boyd, Jose LaSalle, Derk Brown, La Mesha Irizarry, Osagyefo Sekou, Dr. Cornel West, Efia Nwangaza Renita Marie Green, Susan Talve, Traci Blackmon, Mary Gene Boteler, Starsky Wilson, Waltrina N. Middleton, Jim Wallis, Heather Wilson, Lisa Sharon Harper, and Patrick Soby.
Solidarity Against Racism
Solidarity Against Racism, November 21, 2015 ·
1st anniversary of Akai Gurley Killed By Police — with Bill Breidenstein, Alicia Garza, Shirley Henry Jenkins, Stevan Kirschbaum, Osagyefo Sekou, Marshata Caradine, Shay Ase Dune, Ash-Lee Henderson, Cat Brooks, Faye Venetia Harrison, Justice For Akai Gurley Family and Justice for Akai Gurley.
A Year Without Justice for Tanisha Anderson
- JusticeForTanishaAnderson — with Elisa J. Cook, Camilla Freitag, Sumumba Sobukwe, Beechie X. Keeton, Howard Rotman, Gregg L. Greer, Faye Venetia Harrison, Osagyefo Sekou, Jasmine Johnson, Frank Lara, Alicia Garza and Rob Rogers.
Solidarity Against Racism November 9, 2015 ·
Loves Come Natural ... — with Kevin J. Barrett, Frank Lara, Terri Kay, David C. Fletcher, Bill Breidenstein, Bill Dores, Mary Magnuson, Berta Joubert-Ceci, Cat Brooks, Naomi Thatzher Brown, Bilal Ali, Abel Feltes, Osagyefo Sekou, Princess Beverly Williams, Melissa Mckinnies, Henry D. Brown, Elisa J. Cook, Edward Petrossi, Shay Ase Dune, Alicia Garza and Steve Kirschbaum.
Solidarity Against Racism, October 4, 2015;
Her name was #MiriamCarey . She drove to D.C. from Connecticut with her baby daughter.
A U-turn at a checkpoint led to her being killed by the Secret Service and the U.S. Capitol Police on Oct. 3, 2013 #Justice4MiriamCarey #BlackLivesMatter #ColoredLivesMatter #StopPOliceBrutality — with Rasheen Aldridge, Alicia Garza, Linda Beth Camberdella, Osagyefo Sekou, Harold Jamison, La Mesha Irizarry, Bassem Masri, Cat Brooks, Cephus Johnson, Justice for Miriam Carey and Valarie Carey.
1st Anniversary of the #Ferguson Uprising
Maurice Moe Mitchell August 5, 2015,
- UnitedWeFight: 1st Anniversary of the #Ferguson Uprising - National Conference Call. Thurs. 8PM EST / 7PM CST Register at http://bit.ly/uwfcall — with Justin Hansford, Scott A. Roberts, Mary Hooks, Kayla M. Reed, Diamond Latchison, Kareem Jackson, Bukky Gbadegesin, Katrina Gamble, Tanya Lucia Bernard, Tory Russell, Cedric Lawson, Alicia Garza, Leslie Mac, Charlene Carruthers, Patrisse Cullors, Cherrell Brown, Dante Barry, Waltrina N. Middleton, Damon Turner, Marbre Stahly-Butts, Ash-Lee Henderson, Damon Davis, Thenjiwe Tameika McHarris, Mari Morales-Williams, Mervyn Marcano, Nicole Lee, Elandria Williams, Opal Ayo, Jonathan Pulphus, Dara Cooper, Michael McBride, Umi Selah, Osagyefo Sekou, Tara Tee, Rose Berry, Sistufara W. Muhammad, Purvi Shah, Cid Nichols, Ingrid Benedict, Jade Ogunnaike, James Hayes, Anita Nichole, Joe Worthy and The Movement for Black Lives.
Jasiri Oronde, November 20, 2015 ·
- Powerful panel going on right now at Stanford University with H. Samy Alim, Mychal Denzel Smith, Isabel Garcia, Rev. Osagyefo Sekou, and Rinku Sen #thenation.
“Black Lives Matter; An Evening of Beautiful Struggle”
Matt Meyer May 31, 2016;
L to R- Matt Meyer, Reverend Osagyefo Sekou, Melina Abdullah, Sekou Odinga, Dr. Amilcar Shabazz and his son Hosea Sekou Shabazz, and Dequi Sadiki at “Black Lives Matter; An Evening of Beautiful Struggle; Remembering, Celebrating and Moving Forward” held recently at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Matt Meyer June 4 2016;
Livefreesotu watch party
Michael McBride, January 14, 2016;
- Deeply grateful to all our amazing friends who joined our #livefreesotu watch party & discussion. It was a small cross section of the diversity in our faith & liberation movements but the conversation was rich, challenging, nuanced & unfiltered. Hopefully this will be the first of many conversations and inspire the rich and diverse voices across the country to create our own narrative, content & s... — with Rahiel Tesfamariam, Barack Obama, Osagyefo Sekou, Gabriel Salguero, Alexie Torres-Fleming, Davey D. Cook, Onleilove Alston, Dante Barry, Tory Russell, Dara Silverman, Traci Blackmon, Ify Ike, Steve Phillips, Rosa Clemente, Bakari Kitwana and Linda Sarsour.
Jay-Marie Hill June 4 2016;
- Because having a life that revolves around Black Joy is the only kind of life worth living. — with Matt Meyer, Osagyefo Sekou, Signe Harriday, Leslie Mac and David Ragland.
St. Louis Action Council
Rika Tyler July 12, 2016 ·
Tomorrow come out to the St. Louis Action Council mtg! 730PM — with Molyric Welch, Corey Wright, Jess Tyler, Otf Richez, Tanika MsPeaches Prowell, Jonathan Pulphus, Sharron Prather, Osagyefo Sekou, Ambs Bossette, Antoine White, Nina Lovinglife, Kareem Jackson, Bee Whitehurst, Jeffrey Bo Dean, Brian Lohmann, Stefan Hornaday, Jamila Jackson and Reginald McNichols.
Opal Tometi at the UN
Matt Meyer, July 13 2016;
Black Lives Matter co-founder Opal Tometi addressing the United Nations at the High Level UN@70 discussion on Human Rights at the Centre of the Global Agenda. She eloquently spoke for reparations, justice, an end to mass incarceration - and a connected analysis which includes struggle against white supremacy, capitalism, imperialism, and militarism. — with David Ragland, Signe Harriday, Nesrin Kenar, Meg Starr, Amilcar Shabazz, Johanna Fernandez, Ibrahim Shaw, Opal Tometi, Melina Abdullah, Cris Toffolo, Osagyefo Sekou, Emily Welty, Alicia Garza, Carlito Rovira, Cyril Obi, Mark Norris Lance, Stellan Vinthagen, Dequi Kioni-sadiki, Peace and Justice Studies Association (PJSA) and International Peace Research Association - IPRA.
"End the Silence"
Rika Tyler July 17, 2016; ·
- Wear Black — with Nick Apperson, Stefan Hornaday, Dhati M. Kennedy, Adam Jesse James Murphy, Nadida Tuhada Amatullah-Matin, Vincent Manuel, Osagyefo Sekou, Jacquelyn Randle, Rblprnc Chris, Kourtney Harris, Traci Blackmon, Ambs Bossette, LaShell Eik, Arlando Valrez, Monae Moe Photos Cribbs, Tamara Dodd, Tiffany Chanel Gmt, Jeffrey Bo Dean, Pacia Elaine, Nina Lovinglife, Jamila Jackson, Latrice Gardner, Stanyale Riley, Cassandra Gould, Elizabeth Vega, Bee Whitehurst, Marshata Caradine, Erica Bee, Alexy Irving, Indiana Rome, Reginald McNichols and Brian Lohmann.
Tragic Times, Five Times Two
Matt Meyer July 21, 2016: Tragic Times, Five Times Two;
Some thoughts on Policing, Black Lives Matter, and July 21st — with Claude Marks, Lumumba Bandele, Kazi Toure, Basir Mchawi, Judith Mirkinson, Amilcar Shabazz, Spiritchild XspiritMental, Jay-Marie Hill, Kali Akuno, Herman Bell, Monifa Bandele, Signe Harriday, Nate John Buckley, Osagyefo Sekou, Melina Abdullah, Asha Bandele, Jalil Muntaqim, Bob Lederer, Rosa Clemente, Anne Lamb, Paulette D'auteuil, David Ragland, [Leslie Mac], Jared Ball, Rosa Bettina, Susan Rosenberg, Dequi Kioni-sadiki, Sundiata Acoli, Meg Starr, Brittany L. Williams, Robert Seth Hayes and Mutulu Shakur.
Nora Rasman, September 18 2016; ·
- at highlander | something close to a full moon | with the foremost sanctified blues band | on the day of your 32nd rotation around the sun 😎✌🏼️✨ #ReviveLove #FortifyTheMvmt — with Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Lena K. Gardner, Jay-Marie Hill, Osagyefo Sekou and Rob Coleman at Highlander Research and Education Center.
Nora Rasman September 13, 2016;
Revive Love tour
- the #ReviveLove tour starts in a week w/a sneak peak at Highlander Center this weekend!!! whether or not you can join us, chk it out and make a donation to make it happen here: http://www.faithify.org/projects/revive-love-tour/ <3 — with Hermelinda Cortes, Jay-Marie Hill, Sara Green, India Danielle, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Lena K. Gardner, Mary Hooks, Chris Buice, Osagyefo Sekou, Leslie Mac, Kate Shaps, Cel Living, Lsa Piercy, De Vandiver, Julie Taylor, Ruth S. Idakula and Probably Lyles.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
- SURJ people
- [ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ferguson-protesters-deray-mckesson-and-johnetta-elzie-arrested_55c8f42ee4b0923c12bdb0a2 HuppPo Ferguson Protesters DeRay Mckesson And Johnetta Elzie Arrested]
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109