- 1 Rally against rape
- 2 #ShutDownICE!!!
- 3 Queers #shutdownICE
- 4 Comrades
- 5 Immigration protest
- 6 Mary Hooks birthday
- 7 "Not one more deportation" Atlanta protest
- 8 #Not1More
- 9 Ear to the Ground Project
- 10 Friends of Kriti Sharma
- 11 SONG staff
- 12 SONG supporters
- 13 Atlanta immigration rally
- 14 Revive Love tour
- 15 Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
- 16 Bazta Arpaio
- 17 References
Paulina Helm-Hernandez is a Durham North Carolina activist. She is a queer femme cha-cha girl, artist, trainer, political organizer, strategist & trouble-maker-at-large from Veracrúz, Mexico. This Chicana grew up in rural North Carolina, and is currently growing roots in Atlanta, GA.
She has been the Co-Director of Southerners On New Ground (SONG) for 9 years, having joined the staff after coordinating the Southern regional youth activism program at the Highlander Research and Education Center for over 4 years. Paulina has a background in farm worker and immigrant / refugee rights organizing, cultural work, youth organizing, anti-violence work, and liberation work that centers people most affected by violence, poverty, war and racism. Paulina is also a founding member of the national First Nations / Two Spirit Collective, an queer & trans indigenous movement-building cadre, and has served on the boards of YouthAction, Student Action with Farmworkers and The Third Wave Foundation. Paulina currently sits on the Vision and Strategies Council of Kindred Southern Healing Justice Collective, and is always exploring ways to deepen political unity with people willing to fight and organize for collective liberation.
Rally against rape
A march and rally took place Durham, North Carolina April 28 2007 against sexual violence and assault. The protest was called Creating a World Without Sexual Violence—National Day of Truthtelling (DOT).
The organizing DOT coalition was made up of Black Workers for Justice, Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Independent Voices, Men Against Rape Culture, North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault, Raleigh Fight Imperialism—Stand Together, Spirit House, Southerners On New Ground (SONG) and UBUNTU.
Alexis Gumbs, a Black graduate student at Duke, read a moving open letter to the crowd in front of the Buchanan house.
The main rally was held on the steps of the Durham County Courthouse. Speakers there included Serena Sebring, UBUNTU; Monika Johnson Hostler, NCCASA; Paulina Hernandez, SONG; Tyneisha Bowens and Laura Bickford, Raleigh FIST; Shafeah M'Balia, Women’s Commission of BWFJ, and Phoenix Brangman, Dasan Ahanu and Bryan Proffitt of Men Against Rape Culture. A number of the speakers linked the issue of sexual violence to the struggle for immigrant rights and against racism, homophobia, capitalism, militarism and imperialism.
National Day Laborer Organizing Network December 10, 2013
Barack Obama, YES YOU CAN Stop Deportations OR We Will #ShutDownICE!!!
ASPIRE - Asian Students Promoting Immigrant Rights through Education, California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance, Congress of Day Laborers/Congreso de Jornaleros... See More — with Jason Wallach, Leilani Clark, Aru Apaza, Neidi Dominguez, Raul Adair Ochoa, Jovana Renteria, Carlos Garcia, Sandra C. Solis, Natally C. Ireta, Alessandro Negrete, Ade Nicholls, Caitlin Breedlove, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Tomas Martinez LA Voz, Reyna Njr, Xanat Sobrevilla, Torres Jorge, Walt Emrys Staton, Rosi Carrasco and Yaxal Nabil Sobrevilla.
Marisa Franco, November 21, 2013;
Alexis Murphy June 2013;
With Probably Lyles, Jazz Franklin, Jadebroo KS, Mara B. Collins, Jess St. Louis, C. Saenz Becerra, Alexander Hollinghead, Pat Hussain, Jess Jude, Vanessa Faraj, Lucia Leandro Gimeno, Taryn Danielle, Kai Barrow, Gracie Aghapour, Aaron Kemmerer, Suzanne Pharr, Miguel Maria Caritu, Salem Abraham Acuna, Caitlin Breedlove, Hermelinda Cortes, Kate Shaps, Pressley Matt, Holly Hardin, Paulina Hernandez, Ashe Helm-Hernandez, Mary Hooks, Stephanie Guilloud and Laila Nur.
Roberto Gutierrez April 5, 2014;
Mary Hooks birthday
Kate Shaps January 19, 2014 ·
Last weds High on a mountaintop Mary Hooks welcomed in her 32 trip around the sun. We love u!!! We love walking this path w you. 2014 is y/ours, take it! And like u and yr cake say: Turn Up!! #32LooksGoooodOnYou #TurningItALLTheWayUp — with Mary Hooks, Serena Sebring, Salem Abraham Acuna, Jazz Franklin, Suzanne Pharr, Caitlin Breedlove, Probably Lyles, Hermelinda Cortes and Paulina Helm-Hernandez.
"Not one more deportation" Atlanta protest
Kate Shaps November 21, 2014:
With Amilcar Ernesto Valencia, Juan Evans, Eshe Shukura, Catherine Han Montoya, Eunice Cho, Jess St. Louis, Anna Simonton, Carter Ture, B. Loewe, Ade Nicholls, Mary Hooks, Paulina Helm-Hernandez and Vanessa Faraj.
National Day Laborer Organizing Network January 31, 2014.
For those who get Al Jazeera America, special 30 minute feature on the #Not1More campaign debuts tonight!
Look out for familiar faces from Congress of Day Laborers/Congreso de Jornaleros , GLAHR, Southerners on New Ground, and Project South. — with Elizabeth Gorman Shaw, Ponciano Ugalde, Marisa Franco, Tomas Martinez LA Voz, Sandra C. Solis, Carlos Garcia, Caitlin Breedlove, Reyna Njr, Ade Nicholls, Jacinta Gonzalez G., Paul Boulos, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Stephanie Guilloud, Cesar Maxit, Josh Rushing and Sharon Lungo.
Ear to the Ground Project
- We would like to express our deep respect and appreciation for everyone who took the time to talk with us, and the organizations that generously hosted us during our travels. Interviews were confidential, but the following people have agreed to have their names listed for this publication:
Most of those listed were connected to Freedom Road Socialist Organization.
Paulina Hernandez was among those on the list. 
Friends of Kriti Sharma
Kriti Sharma wrote "Interdependence: Biology and Beyond". She credited several people with "shaping my mind and life" through the process, including Afiya Carter, Aiden Graham, AJ Vrieze, Alexis Gumbs, Atiya Hussain, Beth Bruch, Bryan Proffitt, Caitlin Breedlove, Dannette Sharpley, Emily Chavez, Glenys Verhulst, Jenn Vrieze, Jurina Vincent-Lee, Keagha Carscallen, Laurin Penland, Kai Barrow, Lynne Walter, Marjorie Scheer, Michelle O'Brien, Manju Rajendran, Sendolo Diaminah, Mikel Barton, Monica Leonardo, Nia Wilson, Nikki Brown, Noah Blose, Paulina Hernandez, Pavithra Vasudevan, Rachael Derello, Russell Herman, Sam Hummel, Sammy Truong, Serena Sebring, Shirlette Ammons, Tema Okun, Theo Luebke, Tim Stallman, Tony Macias, and Yolanda Carrington.
- Paulina Helm-Hernandez - Co-Director
- Caitlin Breedlove - - Co-Director
- Kate Shapiro - Membership Coordinator
- Mary Hooks - Regional Campaign Coordinator
- Hermelinda Cortes - Communications Coordinator
- Serena Sebring - Campaign Organizer
- Salem Acuna - Regional Organizer
- Elias Lyles - Fundraising Coordinator
- Asa King - Staff Attorney
- Roberto Tijerina - Deputy Director
Mab Segrest, April 18, 2017.
This photo is from my 60th birthday party at Steph's house in Atlanta with SONG cofounders including Cherry and the then-current directors Paulina and Caitlin. Joan Garner is on the right in vibrant red and my then-new love Annie Ellman on the sofa. I have been honored and blessed to be friends over the years with these brave and wonderful people. Joan we already miss you so much. — with Pat Hussain, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Mandy Carter, Suzanne Pharr, Mab Segrest, Annie Ellman, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Stephanie Guilloud, Pamela Jean McMichael and Cherry Hussain.
Atlanta immigration rally
Atlanta Jobs with Justice October , 2015;
Atlanta Jobs with Justice is proud to be a part of the #GANot1More Coalition and stand with Glahriadores in the fight to keep #ICE out of #Fulton County Jails! #Not1More #NiUnaMas! — with Ashe Helm-Hernandez, Azadeh Shahshahani, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Ade Nicholls, Eunice Cho, Neil Sardana and Dianne Mathiowetz.
Revive Love tour
- the #ReviveLove tour starts in a week w/a sneak peak at Highlander Center this weekend!!! whether or not you can join us, chk it out and make a donation to make it happen here: http://www.faithify.org/projects/revive-love-tour/ <3 — with Hermelinda Cortes, Jay-Marie Hill, Sara Green, India Danielle, Caitlin Elly Breedlove, Paulina Helm-Hernandez, Lena K. Gardner, Mary Hooks, Chris Buice, Osagyefo Sekou, Leslie Mac, Kate Shaps, Cel Living, Lsa Piercy, De Vandiver, Julie Taylor, Ruth S. Idakula and Probably Lyles.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those indicating they would attend, on Facebook included Paulina Hernandez.
Bazta Arpaio October 21, 2016;
Day 1 of this POWERFUL weekend! People from across the country started to arriving to join this historic moment in Arizona, we the people are saying #BaztaArpaio. Join us tomorrow for the LARGEST CANVASS EVER AGAINST ARPAIO!
- UBUNTU, Town Hall Meeting: What will it take to end sexual violence in our communities?18 05 2007
- Ear to the Ground, About, accessed Nov. 12, 2015
- [Interdependence: Biology and Beyond By Kriti Sharma Acknowledgements page]
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109