Retired Senior Lecturer in physical chemistry at Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne. Former UCU/NATFHE branch chair and NEC member. President, Newcastle upon Tyne Trades Union Council. Secretary, Communist Party of Britain (CPB) Northern DIstrict Committee. Member of CPB Executive Committee.
Editor of Communist Review
International Brigades commemoration
"No Racist Immigration Laws"
- Martin Levy Communist Party of Britain
- Wilf Sullivan
- Paramjeet Bhogal NEU
- Ben Chacko Morning Star
- Chair Mollie Brown The People's Assembly and National Assembly of Women
The editors, Simon Meddick, Liz Payne and Phil Katz would like to express our thanks to all the contributors to this volume of Red Lives, who have given their time and work freely in the interests of ensuring these personal histories could be shared to inspire others.
Personal recollections and connections have been the principal source for the writers of these biographies, which makes this collection so special. Therefore our thanks go to: Kolya Abramsky, Bill Adam, Mary Aldridge, Brian Allbutt, Arthur Attwood, Meic Birtwistle, Annie Banham, Martin Brown, John Campbell, Colin Carritt, Jennie Chesterton, Joe Clark, Tony Conway, Andy Croft, Mary Davis, Lesley Discum, Megan Dobney, Lorraine Douglas, Paul Dunn, John Ellison, Dan Evans, Ann Field, John Foster, John Fox, Susan Galloway, Tom Gill, Alex Gordon, Bill Greenshields, Robert Griffiths, Liane Groves, Anita Halpin, Jonathan Havard, David Horsley, Pat Jay, Ben Jay, Cad Jones, Roger Jones, Meirian Jump, Chris Kaufman, Phil Katz, Ken Keable, George Kerr, Tam Kirby, Peter Lazenby, Martin Levy, Eleanor Lewington, Alex Maxwell, Rosie McGregor, Bevis Miller, Laura Miller, Tommy Morrison, Kevan Nelson, Cynthia Oughton, Liz Payne, Mike Pentelow Evan Pritchard, Mike Quille, Neil Rafeek, Ruth Rickman-Williams, Jane Rosen, Jane Scott, Tom Sibley, Dr. Mike Squires, Carol Stavris, Dave Stavris Graham Stevenson, Keith Stoddart, Robert Streader, Ruth Styles, The Vale of Leven History Project, Mike Vine, Michael Walker, Lynne Walsh, Robert Wilkinson, Jim Whyte, Tanya Wills, Anita Wright, Nick Wright.
Communist University of the North 2011
- Steve Andrew Yorkshire District Committee of the Communist Party of Britain
- Richard Burgon vice-chair Barnsley Labour Party.
- Mark Burton Manchester Cuba Solidarity Campaign
- Kevin Donnelly Yorkshire District Secretary of the Communist Party of Britain
- Robert Griffiths General Secretary of the Communist Party of Britain
- Ann Lee Yorkshire District Committee of the Communist Party of Britain
- Martin Levy Editor of Communist Review, Northern District Secretary of the Communist Party of Britain
- Eleanor Lewington National Assembly of Women, Chair Manchester Communist Party of Britain
- Paul Marchant Green Party
- Paul Meszaros Hope Not Hate
- Mike Quille Communist Review
- Mohsin Zulfiqar Workers Party of Pakistan, South Asian People's Forum, Faiz National Organizing Committee UK
- Dave Webb CND, Scientists for Global Responsibility, Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space
Local Elections 2015 and 2016 50. The Communist Party of Britain candidates and results were are as follows: Tameside MBC (Greater Manchester) Audenshaw, 2015 Paul Ward 84 (1.5%) Audenshaw, 2016 Paul Ward 18 (0.6%) North Devon District Council, 2015 Barnstaple Central Gerry Sables 105 (5.7%) Pilton Stuart McGuinness 58 (2.7%) Barnstaple Town Council, 2015 Barnstaple Central Gerry Sables 205 (15.3%) Pilton Stuart McGuinness 134 (7.8%) Margaret McGuinness 133 (7.8%) Newcastle upon Tyne City Council, 2016 Walkergate Martin Levy 23 (1%) Fife Council by-election, August 2016 The Lochs Tam Kirby 86 (3.1%).
2014 CPB Executive Committee
Andy Bain, Ben Chacko, Andy Chaffer, Tony Conway, John Foster, Pauline Fraser, Alex Gordon, Moz Greenshields, Bill Greenshields, Robert Griffiths, Tim Gulliver, Anita Halpin, Zoe Hennessy, Steve Johnson, Bernadette Keaveney, Thomas Kirby, Eleanor Lakew, Martin Levy, Peter Middleman, Tommy Morrison, Mark O'Neill, Liz Payne, Ben Stevenson, Graham Stevenson, Joanne Stevenson, Ruth Styles, Anita Wright, Nick Wright.
CPB executive committee
In 2008 the Communist Party of Britain executive committee consisted of Carol Turner, Ivan Beavis, Geoff Bottoms, Mary Davis, John Foster, Pauline Fraser, Bill Greenshields, Robert Griffiths, Anita Halpin, Kevin Halpin, John Haylett, Joel Heyes, Steve Johnson, Carolyn Jones, Martin Levy, Gawain Little, Alan MacKinnon, Emily Mann, Tommy Morrison, Andrew Murray, Rick Newnham, Ben Stevenson, Graham Stevenson, Carol Turner and Anita Wright.
In 2005 the Communist Party of Britain fielded 6 candidates: Robert Griffiths (Pontypridd), Glyn Davies (Alyn and Deeside), Martin Levy (Newcastle upon Tyne East and Wallsend), Monty Goldman (Hackney South and Shoreditch), Geoff Bottoms (Crosby), Elinor McKenzie (Glasgow Central).