- 1 Bernie Sanders Shares Belen Sisa Video
- 2 Illegal Aliens are Victims who Pay Taxes
- 3 Belen Sisa at Rally for Michael Brown in 2014
- 4 Education
- 5 Activism
- 6 Arizona for Bernie Sanders
- 7 Feel the Bern
- 8 Bazta Arpaio
- 9 Progressive Democrats of America
- 10 Young Progressives Demanding Action
- 11 Peoples Summit 2017
- 12 DACA Activists at Peoples Summit June 2017
- 13 Arizona DSA Facebook group
- 14 DSA supporter
- 15 Supreme Court protest
- 16 Abboud connection
- 17 ASU protest
- 18 Clean #DreamActNow!
- 19 CAIR-Arizona
- 20 Supreme Court arrests
- 21 Pro-DACA
- 22 Remembering Todd Wiandt
- 23 Pro-Palestine
- 24 Supporting Sinema
- 25 References
Maria Belen Sisa an illegal immigrant from Buenos Aires, Argentina. She is Bernie Sanders deputy press secretary. On her Facebook page, Sisa says she is the “former Arizona Media Manager at NextGen America” and “former Latino Outreach at Bernie 2018.” Belen Sisa is on the Progressive Democrats of America Advisory Board.
On June 1 2019, Bernie Sanders shared a video for his 2020 presidential campaign featuring Belen Sisa, who claimed that President Donald Trump lied about socialism. In the video, Belen Sisa explained that Bernie Sanders wants healthcare, education, housing and childcare to be considered "rights" in America. In the Tweet, Bernie Sanders said: "Democratic socialism means democracy. It means making sure everybody can live with dignity in the richest country on Earth. And it means creating a government that represents all of us, not just the wealthiest people in America."
Illegal Aliens are Victims who Pay Taxes
From Heavy dated Mar 1, 2019:
- "She once posted a photo of herself holding a tax form and wrote, “So here I go again.. #2017tax forms in hand: MYTH BUSTER: I, an undocumented immigrant, just filed my federal and state taxes in the state of Arizona. In fact, I pay sales tax, and every other kind of tax you can think of. I cannot receive financial aid from the state or federal government for school, I cannot benefit from unemployment, a reduced healthcare plan, or a retirement fund. I think I’m a pretty good citizen. Oh and there are MILLIONS just like me who pay into a system they will never receive anything from. Wanna tell me again how I should be deported, contribute nothing and only leech off this country while the 1% wealthiest people in this country steal from you everyday? How about you show me yours President Donald J. Trump? #HereToStay. #UndocumentedUnafraid.”
Belen Sisa at Rally for Michael Brown in 2014
On August 17, 2014, Fern Figueroa of Fightback! News wrote about an anti-police rally held by Jacksonville Progressive Coalition. Belen Sisa was at the rally, photographed holding up a banner that read "Justice for Mike Brown".
- "About 100 people gathered at Hemming Plaza Saturday evening and began chanting as news vehicles drove up. Several interviews were conducted by the local media of protest organizers. Connell Bam Crooms, a Black warehouse worker at UPS and a member of Teamsters Local 512 in Jacksonville, was the first speaker to address the crowd. “Its been 50 years since the Civil Rights Act and here we are still having a conversation about race. Black men in America are viewed as disposable, as evident by the ridiculous rates blacks are imprisoned or murdered by the police compared to whites. Our leaders and their corporations view us as good for nothing but sports and manual labor. You'd be hard pressed to find a Black man in an administrative capacity with a degree and the expertise to make important decisions. If we aren't doing labor for big capital, we are either dead or causing trouble - or so our leaders would have us believe.”
- After a round of speakers, the crowd began marching downtown to the Police Memorial Building to confront the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office (JSO) and slam them for police brutality in the community.
- This comes hot on the heels of Operation Ceasefire, a racist campaign by JSO where police officers attempted to enter over 18,000 homes in the majority-Black Northside of Jacksonville. The JSO officers used this campaign to invade people's right to privacy and terrorize the Black community on a large scale under the pretext of “making people safer” by searching for contraband. JSO also installed surveillance cameras all over the Black community.
- Along the way, the crowd chanted, “From Ferguson to Palestine, occupation is a crime,” and “Justice for Michael Brown.” Other chants included “Same thing every time, being black is not a crime,” and “Ferguson, JSO, killer cops have got to go!”
- After the march had taken the street and blocked off a lane of traffic on their mile-long march, they got to the Police Memorial Building and assembled on the steps. Several speakers gave fiery speeches to the crowd, including Opio Lumumba Sokoni, president of the local Southern Christian Leadership Conference."
- Field Director, Arizona Wins!, Aug 2016 – Nov 2016, Phoenix, Arizona Area.
- Former Assistant Organizer and Communications at Progressive Democrats of America, 2015-2018.
- Former Latino Outreach at Bernie 2016
- Citizenship Coordinator & Volunteer Coordinator, Mi Familia Vota, Aug 2015 – Dec 2015.
- Constituent Services Intern. Office of Congressman Ruben Gallego. May 2015 – Jul 2015.
- Arizona Dream Act Coalition, Volunteer and Organizer. Jun 2012 – Present
- David Garcia for AZ Superintendent of Public Instruction, Volunteer. Feb 2014 – Nov 2014.
- Undocumented Students for Education Equity, Founding Member and Advocacy Director
In 2018, First-Year Success Coach at Arizona State University.
Arizona for Bernie Sanders
Belen Sisa February 23, 2016;
With Dru Talero, Shayna Stevens, Bren Pantilione, Jose Miranda, Tomas E. Robles, Jr., Channel Powe, Dan O'Neal, Jesus Gonzalez Jauregui, Chris Fleischman, Patrick Morales, Aldo Gonzalez and Alejandra Gomez at Our Revolution - Arizona for Bernie Sanders.
Feel the Bern
Belen Sisa March 23, 2016;
No matter what, we've made history together. Thank you all for the unbelievable experience, we truly gave it our all. #AZForBernie #FeelTheBern — with Michelle Armer, Renu Kaur Sidhu, Jose Miranda, Shannon Spellman, Martin Vega, Joe Murphy, Annie Podk, Kassandra Alvarez, Michael Martinez, Julio Caesar, Julio D. Zuniga, Mark Cardenas, Todd Wiandt, Patrick Morales, Hector Rivera, Caesar Vargas, Erika Andiola, Lupita Arreola, Carlos A. Sanchez Savinon, Angel Fernandez, Maria Castro and Warren Jason, Jr. at The Vig Fillmore.
Progressive Democrats of America
Progressive Democrats of America, February 26, 2017.
It's time to make sure all Americans have the health care services and medications we need and deserve!!!
Ian Schiffer, Cheryl Harris, Bill Honigman, Patrick Morales, Belen Sisa, Judy Hess, Conor Boylan, Aaron Mandell, Allan Affeldt, Donna Smith, Janis Kay, Russell Freedman, Sarah Mahler, Tom Tilden, Cameron Stempel, Michael Fox, Michael Thaller and Sharon Janis at Historic Plaza Hotel.
Young Progressives Demanding Action
Progressive Democrats of America February 28, 2017.
Young Progressives Demanding Action - Progressive Democrats of America Leadership Retreat — with Cameron Stempel, Keiko Tsuboi, Aaron Mandell, Patrick Morales, Nathan Siegel, Ian Schiffer and Belen Sisa at Historic Plaza Hotel.
Peoples Summit 2017
Patrick Morales June 14, 2017
DACA Activists at Peoples Summit June 2017
Arizona DSA Facebook group
Isa ONeal July 6, 2017 ·
Supreme Court protest
Belen Sisa April 2, 2018.
With Edder Diaz Martinez, Oscar Hernandez Ortiz, Vasthy Lamadrid, Erika Andiola, Perla Martinez, Alex Baker, Cormac Doebbeling, Jocelyn Gallardo, Isela Blanc, David Garcia, Jake Bell for Arizona, Korina Iribe-Romo, Isa ONeal, Karina Ruiz and Garrick McFadden at Arizona Supreme Court.
Belen Sisa, March 17;
- Hate will never win, because our love for our community is more powerful than any hate that is thrown our way ❤️ proud to stand with my Muslim brothers and sisters today against the horrific attacks that they have recently and historically endured. I will protect them, because I know our freedom is interconnected ❤️ — attending Love & Coffee -Rapid Response Solidarity Event at ICC with Tara Ijai and Deedra Abboud at Islamic Community Center of Tempe.
Belen Sisa October 27, 2017;
Belen Sisa November 9, 2017 ·
Arizona respresenting in Washington, D.C. ready to demand for a Clean #DreamActNow! ❤️✊🏼 — with Rosa Maria Soto Castro, Korina Iribe-Romo, Perla Martinez, Denis Alvarez, Aldo Gonzalez, Oscar Hernandez Ortiz, Abril Gallardo and Mitzi Castro at St. Stephen & the Incarnation Episcopal Church - Washington, DC.
Belen Sisa, November 4, 2017;
It is an honor to be here supporting our Muslim brothers & sisters tonight 💓 #CAIR #UndocumentedAllies — attending 2017 CAIR - Arizona Annual Banquet with Felix Trejo, Taric Watts-Williams, Raquel Guerrero, Korina Iribe-Romo and Johnny Martin at Sheraton Mesa Hotel at Wrigleyville West.
Supreme Court arrests
Belen Sisa January 26 2018;
The #Dream7 + #OneLove is about to walk into court to be seen by a judge for their arrests at Senator Chuck Schumer and Rep. Carlos Curbelo DC offices & #JailStrike last month where we demanded Congress pass a Clean #DreamActNow. We’re still waiting! #NoDreamNoDeal — with Erika Andiola, Jeff Fuentes, Juan Carlos Carabantes, Hector Jairo Martinez, Barbara Hernandez, Li A. Castillo and Cata Santiago at Supreme Court of the United States.
Belen Sisa May 17 2018.
Remembering Todd Wiandt
PDA Arizona May 30 2018;
The community came to remember Todd today. Activists from the Arizona Dream Act Coalition, Democratic Socialists of America, Progressive Democrats of America and so much more. We all learned a lesson from Todd .......Show up, bring your smile and get to work. He taught us to always have each others back. What an amazing human being. We love you Todd Wiandt ! Forever with us in the fight and in our hearts! La lucha sigue compañero. — with Dan O'Neal, Franki Garza, Jessica Mendoza, Natacha Chavez, Cesar Aguilar, Isa ONeal, Camaron Stevenson, LaDawn Stuben, Osiel Ibarra, Patrick Morales, Lupe Conchas, Chula Robertson, Belen Sisa, Patti Serrano, Casey Boyd, Stephanie Marie Adames, William Nelson, Redeem Robinson II and Len Clark.