- 1 Socialist Majority Caucus
- 2 Left Unity slate
- 3 DSA staffer
- 4 Democratic Left
- 5 DSA committee
- 6 DSA’s Cuba Letter
- 7 Left Forum
- 8 DSA NPC member
- 9 NJ DSA meeting
- 10 “Revolution at the Crossroads"
- 11 Democratic Socialists of America Unity
- 12 Philadelphia DSA Public Facebook Group
- 13 DSA Women's Caucus Facebook group
- 14 Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- 15 DSA North Star
- 16 Toward Radical Democracy
- 17 Philly DSA
- 18 Philly DSA leadership
- 19 References
- 20 References
Socialist Majority Caucus
Left Unity slate
Left Unity slate Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America 2019 steering committee.
Democratic Socialists of America gained a new full-time Program Coordinator, Michele Rossi, who joined the staff on February 15, 1995.
Michele Rossi graduated from Villanova University in May 1994 with a degree in Philosphy and "minors in heresy and hell-raising". While at Villanova, Michele helped to build the university chapter of DSA by provoking student insurgencies around the issues of reproductive freedom, gay and lesbian rights, and freedom of speech..
The 2003 convention committed DSA to a thorough discussion and rethinking of organizational basics, including the "development of a strategic plan, refinement of a mission statement, and discussion of Socialist Vision".
This continues the process initiated at a weekend retreat in July 2001, . Duane Campbell of Sacramento headed the organizing committee, and Susan Chacin from the East Bay was also a member. Other Californians present were Ross Boylan (SF), Delores Delgado Campbell (Sacramento), Virginia Franco (San Diego), Karl Knobler (East Bay), Maria Pineda (Davis), Michele Rossi (East Bay), Herb Shore (San Diego), and Eric Vega (San Diego).
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Michele Rossi signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
Michael Hirsch of Democratic Socialists of America, Mark Levinson of the Economic Policy Institute, Washington D.C. and Michele Rossi were speakers on the An Agenda for America: Demands for this Congress, and the Next panel at the Left Forum. The forum was held March 9 - 11, 2007 at Cooper Union College, New York City.
DSA NPC member
- Theresa Alt
- David Duhalde
- Stuart Elliott
- Virginia Franco
- Paul Garver
- David Green
- Seth Hutchinson
- Barbara Joye
- Simone Morgen
- Michele Rossi
- Jason Schulman
- Joseph Schwartz
- Herb Shore
- Maria Svart
- Rannfrid Thelle
NJ DSA meeting
Central New Jersey Democratic Socialists of America,February 13, 2016 near New York, NY ·
Liza Featherstone on "Bernie bros" and feminism.
“Revolution at the Crossroads"
From February 17-19 2017, members of Young Democratic Socialists (YDS) gathered for “Revolution at the Crossroads: Igniting the Socialist Resistance Against Trump.” The first YDS conference since the post-Bernie/Trump boom, the gathering "acted as a rally point for all our new members as well as the staging ground for building and confronting the new far-right administration".
More than 250 people attended, almost three times as many as last year. Many of the attendees had just joined DSA in the past couple of months, and many were first politicized by the Bernie campaign. But "as less than a month had passed since the Inauguration, all attendees were concentrated on President Trump's new far-right administration".
During the last day of the conference there was a final set of plenaries and group discussions. Longtime DSA member Michele Rossi and CUNY Professor Nichole Shippen spoke about socialist feminism and the importance of resisting the liberal feminist narrative of Hillary Clinton and Sheryl Sandberg, who prioritize women in power over the needs of working-class women. Workshop topics included building sanctuary campuses, socialist political education, and queer liberation. In the last hour of the conference, attendees reflected on their successes, the challenges ahead, and how to best fight the Trump administration.
Democratic Socialists of America Unity
Philadelphia DSA Public Facebook Group
DSA Women's Caucus Facebook group
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Michele Rossi.
DSA North Star
In 2018 Michele Rossi was an original signatory of the DSA North Star founding principles statement.
Toward Radical Democracy
Toward Radical Democracy was a 2018 "Proposal for Internal Voting Reform in Boston DSA".
- If you would like to sign on in support of this proposal, please click here. To date, over 100 members of Boston DSA have endorsed it. We also welcome support from DSA comrades in other chapters.
Signatories also included non Boston comrades such as Michele Rossi.
Philly DSA leadership
Philadelphia Democratic Socialists of America 2019/21 Steering Committee.
- Chair: Marilyn Arwood
- Vice-Chair: Syne Salem
- Treasurer: Rohan Shah
- Secretary: Vicki Fleck
- Political Education Chair: Briana Last
- Communications Chair: Eamon Caddigan
- Electoral Chair: Kilynn Lunsford
- Member Engagement Chair: Mark Blaho
- Democratic Left, Spring 2003
- Dem. Left, March/April 1995, page 21
- [Dem. Left, Nov./Dec. 1996]
-  DSA 2009 National Convention Evanston, Illinois November 13-15, 2009 report, DSA website, accessed June 11, 2010
- [http://www.dsausa.org/yds_igniting_the_socialist_resistance_against_trump YDS YDS:Igniting the Socialist Resistance Against Trump Posted by Democratic Socialists of America on 03.10.17]
- [file:///C:/Users/Trevor/Downloads/July%20General%20Meeting%20Packet%20Version%202.5%20.pdf Philly DSA July general Meeting]