Leo E. Casey is a former National Director of Democratic Socialists of America and a contributor to DSA's Talking Union website. He blogs on Edwize, the blog of the New York AFT. He is Vice President, Academic High Schools of the United Federation of Teachers.
In February 1976, New American Movement Discussion Bulletin issue number 13, carried an article, The Durham Organizing Committee and the Struggle for Marxism- Leninism in NAM, Leo Casey (Member-at-Large).
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Leo Casey and Peg Strobel, Co-Chairs of the Commission led a meeting entitled Campus Commission at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
He also led a workshop entitled What Every NAM Activist Should Know About the Gay and Lesbian Community.
He characterizes himself as "post-Marxist".
- I think that there are some core ideas and themes in the Marxist tradition, and at the point which one has developed one set of Marxian ideas and themes to the extent that those core ideas and themes are rejected, intellectual honesty requires that one state that clearly. That is why I identify myself as post-Marxist: I no longer hold to certain core ideas in the Marxian tradition, even while I believe that there is much to be learned from a century of its attempts to develop emancipatory theory.
In 1991, Democratic Socialists of America was promoting a leaflet "Perspectives on Lesbian and Gay Liberation and Socialism", edited by Itala Rutter and published by the Gay and Lesbian Task Force of DSA's Feminist Commission. Contributors included Leo Casey, Martha Fourt, Hannah Frisch, Barry Friedman and Tom Stabnicki, Christine Riddiough, and Judy MacLean.
DSA’s Cuba Letter
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
Metro DC DSA Public Facbook group
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Leo Casey.
DSA North Star
In 2018 Leo Casey was an original signatory of the DSA North Star founding principles statement.
Toward Radical Democracy
Toward Radical Democracy was a 2018 "Proposal for Internal Voting Reform in Boston DSA".
- If you would like to sign on in support of this proposal, please click here. To date, over 100 members of Boston DSA have endorsed it. We also welcome support from DSA comrades in other chapters.
Signatories also included non Boston comrades such as Leo Casey.
- NAM National Council meeting notice Dec 12 1980
- NAM Commission Chairs list, 1980 - 1981
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- Democratic Left, March/April 1991, page 18