- 1 EMILY's List
- 2 Populist Caucus
- 3 Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus
- 4 "Green New Deal"
- 5 HR 109 endorser
- 6 Medicare for All Act
- 7 Philippines connections
- 8 Honoring Harry Bridges
- 9 21st Century Democrats support
- 10 Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
- 11 Leading with Love
- 12 Phillip Burton Awards Committee
- 13 Lifting travel ban on Cuba
- 14 PDA contact
- 15 JStreet endorsement
- 16 H.R. 1534, The Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act
- 17 ARA endorsements
- 18 Iran deal/Iranian money
- 19 IAPAC money
- 20 Intelligence scandal
- 21 Transgender resolution
- 22 External links
- 23 References
Speier has been supported by EMILY's List during her campaigning.
The Populist Caucus was founded on February 11, 2009 in the United States House of Representatives by Democrat Bruce Braley of Iowa. The caucus originally included 26 other Democrats in the House, including Jackie Speier.
Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus
"Green New Deal"
We have the momentum to make a Green New Deal real, but we need a critical mass of Congresspeople to support the proposal.
Take action on Dec. 10 to show Congress the Green New Deal is a top priority.
Congressional supporters by December 1 2018:
- Jared Huffman (CA-02)
- Jackie Speier (CA-14)
- Ro Khanna (CA-17)
- Mike Levin (CA-49)
- Ted Lieu (CA-33)
- John Lewis (GA-05)
- Joe Neguse (CO-02)
- Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02)
- Chellie Pingree (ME-01)
- Jamie Raskin (MD-08)
- Ayanna Pressley (MA-07)
- Rashida Tlaib (MI-13)
- Ilhan Omar (MN-05)
- Deb Haaland (NM-01)
- Carolyn Maloney (NY-12)
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14)
- Jose Serrano (NY-15)
- Earl Blumenauer (OR-03)
HR 109 endorser
Medicare for All Act
In February 2019 Rep. Pramila Jayapal introduced H.R.1384 - Medicare for All Act of 2019. By May 29 she had 110 co-sponsors including Rep. Jackie Speier.
San Francosco City Hall rally for Brandon Lee
Sfnewsfeed.us August 9, 2019 ·
With Congresswoman Jackie Speier, Eugene Bengan Gambol, Chrisanto Iska Ampar, Gordon Mar, U.S. Senator Kamala Harris, Claye Sanders, Digong Duterte ng Pilipinas, Eric Mar, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Filamstar Newspaper, Ichrp Norcal, Bayan Norcal, Rody Duterte, Friends of Brandon Lee, ICHRP-Canada International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines, Malaya Movement, ICHRP SoCal, ICHRP Northeast, BayanUsa NationalAlliance, ICHRP US International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines, Anakbayan San Francisco.
Filipino American Human Rights Alliance
The US Congress through the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission will hold a public hearing on “Philippine Extrajudicial Killings” on July 20 2017.
Key speaker will be Ellecer Carlos, spokesperson of I Defend Human Rights and Dignity Movement (iDefend) who completed a speaking tour in Europe and the US, on issues of extrajudicial killings, martial law, China’s illegal incursion in the West Philippine Sea and alleged creeping authoritarianism in the Philippines under President Rodrigo Duterte.
On July 19, Wednesday, members of the Filipino American Human Rights Alliance (FAHRA) will convene with the offices of Rep. Jackie Speier (D-San Francisco/San Mateo) in DC and San Mateo, California, to push for the introduction of complementary Senate bills co-introduced by Senators Ben Cardin (D-Maryland) and Marco Rubio (R-Florida): S1055 – The Philippine Human Rights Accountability and Counternarcotics Act of 2017; S659 – Impose Sanctions With Respect to People’s Republic of China’s activities in South China Sea and East China Sea.
During the hearing congresswoman Jackie Speier said Duterte's "abuses" should be condemned by Trump and Congress.
Speier’s California district is home to the largest Filipino community in the continental U.S., and she said she has heard "increasing concerns" from constituents "appalled" by alleged human rights violations in the Philippines.
"Mr Duterte's murderous extrajudicial campaign has drawn condemnation from around the world – except from President Trump, who has had a 'very friendly' conversation with the man who once said, 'I don't care about human rights,' and who called President [Barack] Obama a 'son of a whore' for speaking out against atrocities President Duterte has committed against his own people," Rappler reported Speier said.
"It is critical that both Congress and the President condemn President Duterte's unacceptable human rights abuses in the strongest possible terms and to take concrete action to ensure that the United States is not enabling these practices," she added.
The hearing comes after two U.S. senators in May filed a bill restricting the export of certain weapons and equipment to the Philippine National Police as a consequence of Duterte's anti-drug campaign.
Whereas extrajudicial killings perpetrated by the Government of the Philippines as part of a Government-directed antidrug campaign present the foremost human rights challenge in the Philippines;
Whereas the Department of State’s 2017 Human Rights Report notes numerous human rights concerns, including the persecution of human rights defenders and the detention of political prisoners in the Philippines, stating, “The most significant human rights issues included: killings by security forces, vigilantes and others allegedly connected to the government, and by insurgents; torture and abuse of prisoners and detainees by security forces; often harsh and life threatening prison conditions; warrantless arrests by security forces and cases of apparent government disregard for legal rights and due process; political prisoners; killings of and threats against journalists; official corruption and abuse of power; threats of violence against human rights activists; violence against women; and forced labor.”;
Sponsor: Rep. Jackie Speier [D-CA-14].
- Rep. James McGovern, [D-MA-2]
- Rep. Hank Johnson [D-GA-4]
- Rep. Jamie Raskin [D-MD-8]
- Rep. Brad Sherman [D-CA-30]
- Rep. Lloyd Doggett [D-TX-35]
- Rep. Dean Phillips [D-MN-3]
Honoring Harry Bridges
The Committee for Harry Bridges Plaza is a 501(c)3 non-profit that first began in 1998 as an ad hoc group of citizens dedicated to the belief that the ideals and deeds of Harry Bridges and the working men and women of 1934 should occupy a prominent position in San Francisco’s civic history and never be forgotten.
To that end the Committee took on a two-part plan: First, to have the plaza then under construction in front of the Ferry Building between the north- and south-bound lanes of the Embarcadero named after Harry Bridges, and second, to erect a monument of Harry on the site. The idea quickly gained the enthusiastic support of organized labor, past and present mayors of San Francisco, the Board of Supervisors, the Port Commission, and from elected state and federal representatives. Harry Bridges Plaza officially came into existence on July 27, 1999.
The official christening fell on July 28, 2001, Harry’s 100th birthday. The Committee worked with the Mayor of San Francisco and the Governor of California to proclaim the date “Harry Bridges Day.” In celebration, tributes to Harry were read into the Congressional Record by Senator Barbara Boxer and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.
21st Century Democrats support
21st Century Democrats is a Political Action Committee that has stood for Progressive causes for over 20 years. Founded in 1986 by Institute for Policy Studies affiliate, Iowa Senator Tom Harkin, Democratic Socialists of America affiliates, former Texas Agriculture Secretary Jim Hightower, and former Illinois Congressman Lane Evans. Its three main goals are to help elect progressive candidates, train young people about grassroots organizing, and lastly, to continue to support our elected officials after Election Day "through our comprehensive progressive network".
The mission of 21st Century Democrats is to build a "farm team" of progressive populists who will be the future leaders of the Democratic Party.
- In each election cycle, we endorse a diverse array of candidates who exemplify our values and show unusual promise to advance our progressive goals. We invest in some of the most competitive races as well as in some of the most challenging – those in which the candidates are outstanding but the traditional Democratic supporters are most reticent. We back candidates in primaries as well as general election races, and we focus the bulk of our resources on electing challengers and protecting vulnerable incumbents.
Supported Lifting the Gaza Blockade
On Jan. 27, 2010, U.S. Representatives Keith Ellison and Jim McDermott led 52 other members of Congress in signing a letter addressed to President Barack Obama, calling for him to use diplomatic pressure to resolve the blockade affecting Gaza. Jackie Speier was one of the signatories of the letter.  The entire letter together with a complete list of signatories can be read by clicking here.
Leading with Love
Members of the Host Committee included Jackie Speier.
Phillip Burton Awards Committee
In 2013, the Honorary Phillip Burton Awards Committee, of the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, consisted of;
- Jeff Adachi, San Francisco Public Defender
- The Honorable David Campos, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable David Chiu, President of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- Carmen Chu, San Francisco Assessor-Recorder
- The Honorable Malia Cohen, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Anna Eshoo, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Mark Farrell, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Dianne Feinstein, US Senator for California
- The Honorable Barbara Lee, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Zoe Lofgren, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Eric Mar, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable George Miller, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Leader of the US House of Representatives
- The Honorable Jackie Speier, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Katy Tang, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Scott Wiener, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Norman Yee, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
Lifting travel ban on Cuba
- Due to your action/emails/phone calls we have 59 signatures from House representatives urging President Obama to support travel to Cuba by granting general licenses for ALL current categories of travel.
- By eliminating the laborious license application process, especially for people-to-people groups, that is managed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the majority of the bureaucratic red tape that holds up licensable travel to Cuba would disappear and actually facilitate what the President wanted to see in 2011, liberalized travel regulations.
Signatories included Rep. Jackie Speier.
JStreet endorsed her again in 2016.
- Speier is of Armenian and Jewish descent and is a strong supporter of J Street’s mission. She has traveled extensively in Israel and the Palestinian Territory and has been a vocal advocate of a two-state solution.
H.R. 1534, The Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act
The 2015 Bill H.R. 1534 would reduce the number of nuclear-armed submarines operated by the Navy, to prohibit the development of a new long-range penetrating bomber aircraft, to prohibit the procurement of new intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Sponsor: Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR-3rd district). Co-sponsors were Reps James McGovern, Mark Pocan, Peter DeFazio, John Conyers, Raul Grijalva, Michael Quigley, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Sam Farr, Jackie Speier, Barbara Lee, Donna Edwards, John Lewis, Jared Polis, Louise Slaughter.
Iran deal/Iranian money
In 2015, in the House, the Democratic recipients of Iranian American Political Action Committee money came out for the Iran nuclear deal. Mike Honda, one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Iran Lobby backed the deal, As did Andre Carson, Gerry Connolly, Donna Edwards and Jackie Speier.
Three brothers who managed office information technology for members of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and other lawmakers were abruptly relieved of their duties, on suspicion that they accessed congressional computers without permission.
Three members of the intelligence panel and five members of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs were among the dozens of members who employed the suspects on a shared basis.
Also among those whose computer systems may have been compromised is Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the Florida Democrat who was previously the target of a disastrous email hack when she served as chairman of the Democratic National Committee during the 2016 campaign.
The brothers are suspected of serious violations, including accessing members’ computer networks without their knowledge and stealing equipment from Congress.
Jamal handled IT for Rep. Joaquin Castro, a Texas Democrat who serves on both the intelligence and foreign affairs panels.
“As of 2/2, his employment with our office has been terminated,” Castro spokeswoman Erin Hatch told TheDCNF Friday.
Imran worked for Reps. Andre Carson, an Indiana Democrat, and Jackie Speier, a California Democrat. Both are members of the intelligence committee. Imran Awan, also worked for the House office of Wasserman Schultz.
Then-Rep. Tammy Duckworth, an Illinois Democrat, employed Abid Awan for IT work in 2016. She was a member of House committees dealing with the armed services, oversight, and Benghazi. Duckworth was elected to the Senate in November, 2016. Abid Awan has a prior criminal record and a bankruptcy.
The three men are “shared employees,” meaning they are hired by multiple offices, which split their salaries and use them as needed for IT services. It is up to each member to fire them.
A criminal investigation into five unnamed people began late last year related to serious and potentially illegal violations of House IT policies. Chiefs of staff for the members were briefed Thursday by the Sergeant-at-Arms.
Capitol Police spokeswoman Eva Malecki said the investigation was still ongoing, and arrests have not been made but staff were “asked to update their security settings.”
The Sergeant-at-Arms told staff that the subjects were four men who were brothers and one woman. It did not name them. It quoted one of the affected members as saying “they said it was some sort of procurement scam, but now I’m concerned that they may have stolen data from us, emails, who knows.”
The three brothers have all shared a house in Lorton, Virginia, that is owned by Hina Alvi. Alvi is a female House IT employee who works for many of the same members as the three brothers, as well as the House Democratic Caucus. Alvi has worked for reps Gregory Meeks, Yvette Clarke, Dave Loebsack, and Emanuel Cleaver.
Signs of trouble have long been visible in public records. The Congressional Credit Union repossessed Abid’s car in 2009, and he declared bankruptcy in 2012, facing multiple lawsuits.
Alvi, who did not respond to TheDCNF’s request for comment, has taken multiple second mortgages.
Jack Langer, spokesman for the intelligence committee, said the committee office has its own IT staff and security measures and classified information from the panel is not allowed to be sent to members’ personal offices.
“Our nation has lost too many transgender Americans to targeted, bigoted violence in our communities,” Kennedy said. “With this resolution recognizing Transgender Day of Remembrance, Congress can commit to confronting these tragedies and protecting all of our citizens.”
In addition to recognizing the Transgender Day of Remembrance, the resolution calls for enhanced federal data collection of anti-trans violence and encourages federal and state governments “to study, respond to, and prevent violence against transgender people.”
The original co-sponsors of the resolution are Reps. Michael Quigley (D-Ill.), Donald McEachin (D-Va.), Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) and Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) as well as Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.).
- Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus website, accessed May 1, 2013
- for Harry Bridges Plaza About the Committee for Harry Bridges Plaza
- Committee for Harry Bridges Plaza endorsers
- 21st Century Democrats website, About us]
- 21st Century Democrats 2012 bio
- The Minnesota Independent: Ellison, McCollum and Oberstar urge Obama to lift Gaza blockade, Jan. 26, 2010 (accessed on March 14, 2011)
- LEL webpage, accessed Jan. 21st, 2012
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center, 23rd Phillip Burton Immigration & Civil Rights Awards
- Update on Cuba Travel: We Gathered 59 Signatures, The LAWG Cuba Team: Mavis, Emily and Karina on May 03, 2013
- PDA May 2013 Educate Congress Digest Letter drops (191 in total – 105 in April )
- J Street The political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans
- JStreetPAC 2016 Endorsees
- Washingtonwatch.com, H.R. 1534, The Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act
- Frontpage magazine, Traitor Senators Took Money from Iran Lobby, Back Iran Nukes August 25, 2015 Daniel Greenfield
- American Political Action Committee,IAPAC Candidates, accessed January 29, 2017
- The Daily Caller, LUKE ROSIAK11:12 AM 02/04/2017
- Washington Blade, November 20, 2017 at 11:41 am EDT | by Chris Johnson Transgender Day of Remembrance observed on Capitol Hill