- 1 Support for the Council on American Islamic Relations
- 2 Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization
- 3 2009 letter on Colombia
- 4 Campaign to Make Immigration Reform a Top Issue in 2010
- 5 PDA contact
- 6 ARA endorsement, 2014
- 7 H.R. 1534, The Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act
- 8 No "fast Track"
- 9 New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- 10 Radical staffer
- 11 NIAC connection
- 12 Condemning Criticism of Islam legislation
- 13 Praising CAIR
- 14 Endorsed CAIR, 2016
- 15 2018 CAIR Banquet
- 16 HANA Center visit
- 17 NAKASEC thanks
- 18 Transgender resolution
- 19 "Green New Deal"
- 20 HR 109 endorser
- 21 References
Support for the Council on American Islamic Relations
Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization
Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization's 2004, 60th Anniversary Independents’ Day Dinner Committee, host committee included Michael Quigley.
2009 letter on Colombia
From November 6th through December 7th 2009, a letter calling for change in U.S. policy towards Colombia was circulated through the House of Representatives. This letter called for a decrease in U.S. aid for Colombia's military and an increase in support for human rights and humanitarian efforts. The initiators of this letter were —Representatives James McGovern, Jan Schakowsky, Donald Payne, and Mike Honda.
- Dear Secretary of State Clinton,
- The FY 2011 budget will contain the twelfth year of a major aid package to Colombia—an aid package originally slated to phase out after six years.
- After eleven years, it is time to scale down assistance for Colombia's military and more systematically "Colombianize" such programs, within both the State Department and Defense Department budgets.
Signatories included Michael Quigley.
Campaign to Make Immigration Reform a Top Issue in 2010
On October 13 2010 , immigration activists from around the country gathered to join in a vigil and rally in front of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC., where Congressman Luis V. Gutierrez and other elected officials launched a new push for comprehensive immigration reform, building to the opening months of 2010. their banners read “Reform Immigration FOR Families” and “Family Unity Cannot Wait.”
More than 750 people traveled to Washington on buses from up and down the Eastern seaboard and as far away as Texas, Florida, Ohio, Minnesota, and Michigan. They spent Tuesday morning meeting with Congressional offices before being joined by thousands of people from the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia area, who gathered on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol to listen to testimonies from families, veterans, and children who face family disintegration because of immigration laws and deportation.
Religious leaders from a diverse array of faith traditions around the country, some organized through Familias Unidas, added their voices.
- At the event Congressman Gutierrez outlined a set of principles for progressive immigration reform that needs to include a rational and humane approach to legalize the undocumented population, to protect workers’ rights, to allocate sufficient visas, to establish a smarter and more humane border enforcement policy, to promote integration of immigrant communities, to include the DREAM Act and AgJOBS bills, to protect rights guaranteed by the Constitution, and to keep families together.
The lawmakers who joined Rep. Gutierrez on stage, and addressed the gathering included Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ), Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairwoman Rep. Nydia Velazquez (D-NY), Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus Chairman Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Congressional Progressive Caucus Chairs Raúl M. Grijalva (D-AZ) and Lynn Woolsey (D-CA), Congressional Black Caucus Member, Yvette Clarke (D-NY), Democratic Caucus Vice Chair Xavier Becerra (D-CA), Jared Polis (D-CO), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Michael Quigley (D-IL), and Delegate Gregorio Sablan (Northern Mariana Islands).
ARA endorsement, 2014
H.R. 1534, The Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act
The 2015 Bill H.R. 1534 would reduce the number of nuclear-armed submarines operated by the Navy, to prohibit the development of a new long-range penetrating bomber aircraft, to prohibit the procurement of new intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Sponsor: Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR-3rd district). Co-sponsors were Reps James McGovern, Mark Pocan, Peter DeFazio, John Conyers, Raul Grijalva, Michael Quigley, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Sam Farr, Jackie Speier, Barbara Lee, Donna Edwards, John Lewis, Jared Polis, Louise Slaughter.
No "fast Track"
On May 7, Chicago DSAer Tom Broderick took part in two press conferences and rallies focusing on Fast Track and the secretive trade agreements such as the Trans Pacific Partnership and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership. The latter is also called the Trans Atlantic Free Trade Agreement.
The first press conference was called by Representative Daniel Lipinski (D-3) and District 7 Steelworkers. Rep. Lipinski has taken a strong stand against Fast Track and the secretive trade deals. Joining him were Representative Robin Kelly (D-2) and an aide from the office of Representative Danny Davis (D-7).
Later that day there was a "Don't Walk Out On Illinois Jobs" rally and press conference in Rep. Mike Quigley's District (D-5). This event was called by the Communications Workers of America (CWA). Rep. Quigley is the true Democratic Party hard ass when it comes to Fast Track and the trade agreements. He says he fully supports his President. He does not want to let China be a leader in Asia and if we don't want to lose out, we'll have to take the lead.
He obviously doesn't care about the jobs lost in his District thanks to NAFTA, CAFTA and KORUS. As part of the rally, we brought shoes that we left outside his office. Rep. Quigley was not in the office when we were there. In addition to the CWA, members of IIRON, Food and Water Watch, Progressive Democrats of America, United Students Against Sweatshops along with Chicago Democratic Socialists of America and Illinois Fair Trade Campaign were there..
New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- Michael Quigley
Ugochukwu Okere is a Budlong Woods resident, the former chairman of Fuerza del Sol, a Chicago Public Schools graduate, and a community organizer on Chicago’s north side. He is also a government worker, having spent time employed in the office of Congressman Michael Quigley, the Chicago City Clerk, and the Chicago Federal Executive Board.
National Iranian American Council November 10, 2014:
TODAY: members of NIAC's Chicago congressional action team had a productive meeting with Congressman Mike Quigley. They shared stories about why #DiplomacyIsPersonal to them and explained the potential implications of a US-Iran agreement.
Stay tuned for more grassroots news from IL's 5th District - our team received a commitment for a follow-up meeting with the Congressman after the November 24 negotiations deadline to discuss next steps!
Condemning Criticism of Islam legislation
On December 17, 2015, Rep. Don Beyer, Jr. introduced legislation condemning "violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States." The legislation is based on unsourced claims that there is a "rise of hateful and anti-Muslim speech, violence, and cultural ignorance," and a "disproportionate targeting" of "Muslim women who wear hijabs, headscarves, or other religious articles of clothing...because of their religious clothing, articles, or observances." The resolution, H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States 
The legislation was cosponsored by Rep. Michael Honda, Rep. Keith Ellison, Rep. Joseph Crowley, Rep. Andre Carson, Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rep. Betty McCollum, Rep. Marcy Kaptur, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, Rep. Dan Kildee, Rep. Loretta Sanchez, Rep. Charles Rangel, Rep. Scott Peters, Rep. Brad Ashford, Rep. Alan Grayson, Rep. Mark Takai, Rep. Brian Higgins, Rep. William Keating, Rep. Raul Grijalva, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Rep. G.K. Butterfield, Rep. Gerry Connolly, Rep. Ruben Gallego, Rep. Cheri Bustos, Rep. John Delaney, Rep. Kathy Castor, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Rep. Michael Quigley, Rep. Elizabeth Esty, Rep. Joseph Kennedy III, Rep. Robin Kelly, Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, Rep. Gregory Meeks, Rep. Grace Meng, Rep. Al Green, Rep. Katherine Clark, Rep. Adam Schiff, Rep. Alcee Hastings, Rep. Sam Farr, Rep. Frank Pallone, Rep. Jim McDermott, Rep. Barbara Lee, Rep. Donna Edwards, Rep. Robert Brady, Rep. Frederica Wilson, Rep. Michael Doyle, Rep. Albio Sires, Rep. Suzan DelBene, Rep. Judy Chu, Rep. Jared Polis, Rep. David Loebsack, Rep. Bill Pascrell, Rep. Debbie Dingell, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, Rep. Steve Cohen, Rep. Ruben Hinojosa, Rep. John Yarmuth, Rep. Niki Tsongas, Rep. Jim Langevin, Rep. Mark Pocan, Rep. John Conyers, Jr., Rep. Mark Takano, Rep. Tim Ryan, Rep. Jose Serrano, Rep. Hank Johnson, Rep. Paul Tonko, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, Rep. Chris Van Hollen, Rep. Lois Capps, Rep. David Price, Rep. Doris Matsui, Rep. Gwen Moore, Rep. Denny Heck, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, Rep. John Carney, Rep. Xavier Becerra, Rep. Eric Swalwell, Rep. John B. Larson, Rep. Dina Titus, Rep. Peter Welch, Rep. Lloyd Doggett, Rep. Jim Himes, Rep. Matt Cartwright.
“The work that CAIR does for our city and across the nation not only enriches the Muslim community,but also expands productive dialogue between cultures.”-Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.) (September 2014). 
“CAIR’s efforts enrich the American Muslim community, encourage dialogue, and unite others to combat Islamophobia and all types of hate.”
Rep. Michael Quigley (D-Ill.) (October 2017)
Endorsed CAIR, 2016
Michael Quigley endorsed CAIR in 2016.
2018 CAIR Banquet
Michael Quigley spoke and Illinois State Treasurer Mike Frerichs, also attended.
HANA Center visit
HANA Center 16 Nov 2017
Thanks to @RepMikeQuigley for taking time to meet w our youth & senior leaders & committing to a #CleanDREAMAct #AAPIs4DREAM
- October highlights
- We continue to meet with elected officials to urge Congress to support a clean DREAM Act for 3.3 million young people, their families and communities. Thank you to Senators Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth and Congress(wo)men Luis Gutierrez, Jan Schakowsky, Mike Quigley, Brad Schneider, and Raja Krishnamoorthi for supporting a clean DREAM Act!
“Our nation has lost too many transgender Americans to targeted, bigoted violence in our communities,” Kennedy said. “With this resolution recognizing Transgender Day of Remembrance, Congress can commit to confronting these tragedies and protecting all of our citizens.”
In addition to recognizing the Transgender Day of Remembrance, the resolution calls for enhanced federal data collection of anti-trans violence and encourages federal and state governments “to study, respond to, and prevent violence against transgender people.”
The original co-sponsors of the resolution are Reps. Michael Quigley (D-Ill.), Donald McEachin (D-Va.), Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) and Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) as well as Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.).
"Green New Deal"
We have the momentum to make a Green New Deal real, but we need a critical mass of Congresspeople to support the proposal.
Take action on Dec. 10 to show Congress the Green New Deal is a top priority.
Congressional supporters by December 20 2018 included Michael Quigley.
HR 109 endorser
- Letters of Support for CAIR accessed January 26 2020
- IVI-IPO 60th Anniversary Independents’ Day Dinner Committee,
- Latin America Working Group, Get Your Representative to Sign a Letter Supporting Human Rights in Colombia
- Immigration Matters New America Media, Richard Stoltz, 0ctober 18, 2009
- PDA May 2013 Educate Congress Digest Letter drops (191 in total – 105 in April )
- Washingtonwatch.com, H.R. 1534, The Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditures Act
- New Ground, #160 May -- June, 2015, House Opposition to the Fast Track by Tom Broderick
- NDC Member List
- H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States, accessed December 26, 2015
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October 2014)
- [https://www.hanacenter.org/news-events/ NAKASEC OCTOBER HIGHLIGHTS SUPPORT FOR A CLEAN DREAM ACT]
- Washington Blade, November 20, 2017 at 11:41 am EDT | by Chris Johnson Transgender Day of Remembrance observed on Capitol Hill