- 1 DSA’s International Committee
- 2 DSA National Convention 2019
- 3 Dispatches from the US left
- 4 Towards a new strategy for the Left
- 5 Generation Left: Millennials Building the Next Socialist Movement
- 6 People for Bernie
- 7 Mapping Socialist Strategies
- 8 New York staff
- 9 RLS Stiftung NY staff, 2017
- 10 Left Forum 2018
- 11 References
Ethan Earle was born in Siler City, North Carolina. He used to work for The Working World in Buenos Aires and New York City. His M.A. thesis in International Relations examined U.S. foreign policy towards Bolivia under Evo Morales. He is a member of the Democratic Socialists of America, which he joined in 2015.
Also a co-leader of DSA's International Committee.
DSA’s International Committee
DSA National Convention 2019
Ethan Earle introduced international communists to DSA National Convention attendees in August 2019.
Dispatches from the US left
Thursday, 04 April 2019 14:30 - 18:30 Venue: European Parliament:
Public conversation with leaders from the US left, including Maria Svart, David Duhalde, Alan Minsky, Alexandra Rojas, and Matt Duss (tbc) about the common challenges during the upcoming election cycle 2019/2020.
- "On the eve of the elections to the European Parliament, and at the beginning of the race to the US Presidential elections in November 2020, Western Democracy is at a crossroads. While we are facing an organised roll-back of libertarian achievements, there is a need to unite in our defence, and to win this struggle together in order to be in the position to prevent climate change, build prosperous post-growth economies, and organise inclusive and rights-based societies in a new technological environment.
- "This event will provide information about the progressive candidates, including Bernie Sanders, who will successfully challenge Donald Trump, and the campaign techniques applied. The discussion will analyse the state of play of new political camps being constructed in Europe in the context of the elections for the European Parliament, and the diversity of the struggle inside and outside of Parliaments on both sides of the Atlantic.
Towards a new strategy for the Left
The Party of the European Left in the Left Forum 2018 in New York – Towards a new strategy for the Left
At least thousand of people took part in the Left Forum 2018, which took place from Friday June 1st to Sunday June 3rd, offering one plenary per day covering on Friday the political sphere, on Saturday the academic approach and on Sunday the grassroots activists perspective on this year’s general topic.
The European Left presented 2 panels : “Connecting the European and North American Left: Identifying Spheres of Cooperation” and “ Party of the European Left - a Success Story of Radical Left Alliances? An Analysis from US and European Perspective”.
The EL participants (Paolo Ferrero, Waltraud Fritz Klackl and Piera Muccigrosso), were accompanied by Haris Golemis (Transform Europe), Andreas Gunter( future director of the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, New York), Leo Panitch (York University, Socialist Register), Ethan Earle (Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung) and Ethan Young (journalist and editor).
Both events were attended quite well and stimulated lively debates. Many Americans, some of European origin, were very interested in the current situation of the different European countries and parties, e.g. the latest events in Italy and Spain, and how the left forces in Europe have been reacting to the Syriza experience in government. Even an individual member of the EL with Turkish roots was present to express his wish to have more information and being more actively involved into the EL politics.
The presence of the EL proved to be useful in more than one way, giving us the chance for information, discussion and debates. More contacts with representatives of the transatlantic left arose and lead us to a better understanding what kind of political and organization challenges a still quite fragmented radical left in the United States is facing in the Trump era.
Generation Left: Millennials Building the Next Socialist Movement
"Generation Left: Millennials Building the Next Socialist Movement" Mayday Community Space, 214 Starr Street, Brooklyn, NY, Friday 12 February 2016, 18:00 till Sunday 14 February 2016, organized by Young Democratic Socialists.
- This year’s event comes at an unprecedented time for socialism in the United States. Polls show the growing popularity of democratic socialism and the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign among people under 35.
Those indicating intention to attend on the Wherevent website included Bhaskar Sunkara, David Littman, Emma Lucia Llano, Mark Benjamin Vondrasek, Andrew Shelton, Jameson Goetz , Chris Maisano , Ryan Bruckenthal , Juan Antonio Hernandez, John Guzek, Daniel Moraff, Joseph Schwartz, Joshua Nodiff, Heidi Easton Chua Schwa, Rahel Biru, Winnie Wong, Brandon Kemp, Sara Ali, Neal Meyer, Michele Rossi, Valencia Barbosa-Ferrer, Jason Hugh Korzelius, Mercy Villa, Barry Goldberg, Spencer Brown, Paul Goodspeed, Alex Kudeyar, Joey Iannitelli, Sean Bailey, Kayla Popuchet, Ben Packer, Alex Nitecki, Alex Nitecki, Bruce Haskin, Noelle Flan, Adam Goldman, Patrick Bon Tonissen, Patrick Bon Tonissen, Ethan Earle, Jack Suria Linares, John Richard Nolan, Byrne Hollander, Meryssa Dickerson, David Duhalde, Riaasa Muntaz, Desiree Feliciano, Louie Messina, David Lorenzo III, Priscilla Cordero, Kelsey Fatu Lizotte, Sean Monahan, Tonee Burley, Diana Dang, Orlando Escobar, Claudia Marroquin, Michelle Denise Fisher, Hoang Do, Kate Bush, Nora Evita Aresti Osis, J-anie Segui, Michael Brandini, Jake Burger, Ashley Rodriguez, Darci Collins, Shlomo Boukai, Russell David, Jonny Tsunami Iezin, Ryan Adler-Levine, Shelby Murphy, Karie Ames, Adam Cardo, Eric Dolan.
People for Bernie
Mapping Socialist Strategies
Mapping Socialist Strategies was convened from August 1-4 in Briarcliff Manor, NY, by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office. It brang together 100 influential progressives and leftists from across the United States, Canada, and Europe for an “un-conference” on socialist strategies.
Attendees included Ethan Earle.
New York staff
- Stefanie Ehmsen, Ph.D. - Co-Director
- Albert Scharenberg, Ph.D. - Co-Director
- Ethan Earle - Program Manager
- Claudette Chanoine - Financial Manager/Bookkeeper
- Kazembe Balagun - Project Manager North America / United Nations
- Mariana Fernandez - Project Manager United Nations
- Maria Starzmann, Ph.D. - Project Manager United Nations
- Heidi Easton Chua Schwa - Office Manager
RLS Stiftung NY staff, 2017
Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung - New York Office, July 29, 2017.
The RLS–NYC crew hanging out at the rooftop bar, saying good-bye to James Hare, who is going to move to Atlanta soon. — with James Hare, Albert Scharenberg, Stefanie Ehmsen, Mariana Fernandez, Claudette Chanoine, Heidi Chua, Kazembe Balagun, Claudia Horn, My Linh Dang and Ethan Earle.
Left Forum 2018
Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung - New York Office, June 2.
OUR PANELS at the Left Forum today:
The Far Right in Government: Hungary, Poland, and Turkey 10:00 – 11:50am, Room: 1.103
- Pinar Cakiroglu-Bournous (University of Crete, Greece)
- Bartosz M. Rydlinski (Wyszynski University, Warsaw, Poland)
- Kristof Szombati (Columbia University, New York)
- Chair: Ethan Earle (Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office)