Socialist Majority slate
New York City Democratic Socialists of America 2019 Socialist Majority slate for DSA national convention delegates.
A. Sen, Aaron Taube, Abdullah Younus, Abi Hassen, Adam E. Leeds, Andrea Guinn, Bianca Cunningham, Bruce Griffiths Cea Weaver, Charles Lenchner, Daniel Cheng, Daniel Lynch, Danya Lagos, Devin McManus, Emma Caterine, Frank Llewellyn, Itzhak Epstein, Jacob Appel, Jad Joseph, James O., Joe Demanuelle-Hall, John Schneider, Julian Graham, Jared Watson, Jasmin Oppenheimer, Jenny Zhang, Kevin Bohlmann, Leanna Ballester, Maia Rosenberg, Matthew Bond, Matthew Thomas, Michael Cavadias, Michael Kinnucan, Miriam Bensman, Nate Treadwell, Noah Weston, Osman Chaudhary, Paul Swartz, Phillip Henken, Renee Greene-Levitt, Renee Paradis, Sam Lewis, Stephen Maples, Susan Kang, Tyler Curtis, Tiffany Gong.
Socialist Majority Caucus
2018 NYC DSA leaders
Congratulations to our newly elected New York City Democratic Socialists of America Steering Committee: Bianca Cunningham and Abdullah Younus (Co-Chairs), Joe Demanuelle-Hall (Secretary), Tiffany Gong
Endorsing Cynthia Nixon and Jumaane Williams
The Case for Endorsing Cynthia Nixon and Jumaane Williams (And How To Do It Strategically) was a letter Drafted by: Danya Lagos (CBK/Labor), and circulated among New York Democratic Socialists of America members in July 2018.
CoSigners, as of July 23 2018 were: Cea Weaver.
New New York DSA Facebook group
Fighting Landlords; Strategic Canvassing against Capitalism
In August 2018, Jimmy Tobias from The Nation quoted Allison Hrabar as a participant in the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America campaign: "Stomp Out Slumlords", which would fight landlords who want to evict their tenants. Their vision "is to make dignified housing a universal human right, rather than a commodity, just as Medicare for All proponents hope to do with health care." “We decided to go to the courthouse and pull all of the dockets and start canvassing tenants facing eviction,” says Margaret McLaughlin, the chair of the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America chapter. “The court system is mostly working right now as a conveyor belt to evict people,” says Allison Hrabar, a member of the chapter’s steering committee. “We are throwing a wrench in that system.”
Other Democratic Socialists of America members quoted in the article were Jen Snyder, an organizer with San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America who explained that the movement to focus on housing is strategic: She was quoted as saying: "When we talk about building a movement, we’re talking about getting the most amount of people to see that capitalism is working directly against their best interests. And housing is a damn good way to talk about that.” The San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America claims to have been pivotal in the success of a recent ballot initiative that passed in San Francisco that "establishes a universal right to legal counsel for tenants facing eviction."
- “DSA members were the vast majority of the canvassers and door knockers,” says SF DSA’s Jen Snyder, who was the campaign manager for Proposition F. “We were the main driving volunteer force, we were the campaign staff, the campaign office was the DSA office.”
It’s "also a powerful way to organize a political base," explains Cea Weaver, a member of New York City Democratic Socialists of America’s steering committee as well as its housing working group. “As socialists, our goal is to build working-class power—whether at the polls, in our homes, or in our workplaces. New York tenants are a millions-strong constituency that cuts across lines of race, class, gender, and age. Many of us may vote as workers, students, or parents, but if we unite as tenants, we represent an unstoppable political force.”
From the article:
- "The Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America started sending out 10 to 20 volunteer canvassers each weekend to do long days of door-knocking at rental units across the city. They hit roughly 200 doors on any given weekend, encouraging tenants to defend themselves from eviction."
According to an "operations manual," their "strategy is to make it as difficult as possible to wield eviction as a weapon by raising the costs of evicting a tenant and flooding the channels that permit and carry out evictions."
From their manual:
- "A DSA working group in Washington, D.C. has identified a strategic chokepoint that will allow us to effectively challenge the city’s landlords: landlord-tenant court, the institution responsible for evictions. The power and profit of landlords always depends on eviction: housing can only be a commodity as long as owners have the right to deny shelter to people who do not pay. Our strategy is to make it as difficult as possible to wield eviction as a weapon by raising the costs of evicting a tenant and flooding the channels that permit and carry out evictions. Poor tenants have the latent power to clog the machinery of displacement, and we have developed a program to unlock that power."
NYC DSA Car Caucus
The People's Forum
Bianca Cunningham February 1 2019:
Gang Gang🌹🌹 — with Jay Thompson, Clarence Adams, Leslie Fine, Joe D-Hall, Abdullah Younus, Patrick T. Shepherd, Mary Clinton, Sam Lewis, Ella Mahony, Ryan Bruckenthal, Cea Weaver, Dana Steer, Nina Svirsky, Ben Bennett, Jia Lee, Katie Halper, Kelly Gilbert, Trevor Taylor, Zyad Hammad and Zelig Stern at The People's Forum.
- [https://www.facebook.com/nycdsa/photos/a.1765058053707625.1073741829.1709623922584372/2065203380359756/?type=3&theater NYC DSA FB, NYC Democratic Socialists of America Like This Page · May 6 ]
- These Democratic Socialists Aren’t Just Targeting Incumbent Politicians; They’re going after slumlords and real-estate speculators. accessed August 11 2018
- An Anti-Eviction Operations Manual accessed August 11 2018