- 1 Socialist Majority Caucus
- 2 Socialist Majority slate
- 3 'Birddogging for Single Payer' with DSA
- 4 DSOC
- 5 DSA Conference delegate
- 6 DSA member
- 7 NYC contact
- 8 Green Socialist Caucus
- 9 DSA Sewer Socialist Caucus Closed FB group
- 10 Queens DSA Unofficial Facebook Group
- 11 South Brooklyn DSA Official Closed Group
- 12 Political Education Forum, Upper Manhattan/Bronx Branch NYC-DSA
- 13 Jewish Solidarity Caucus
- 14 DSA North Star Online Conference
- 15 DSA North Star
- 16 Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- 17 Toward Radical Democracy
- 18 References
Miriam Bensman was a freelance writer in New York.
Socialist Majority Caucus
Socialist Majority slate
New York City Democratic Socialists of America 2019 Socialist Majority slate for DSA national convention delegates.
A. Sen, Aaron Taube, Abdullah Younus, Abi Hassen, Adam E. Leeds, Andrea Guinn, Bianca Cunningham, Bruce Griffiths Cea Weaver, Charles Lenchner, Daniel Cheng, Daniel Lynch, Danya Lagos, Devin McManus, Emma Caterine, Frank Llewellyn, Itzhak Epstein, Jacob Appel, Jad Joseph, James O., Joe Demanuelle-Hall, John Schneider, Julian Graham, Jared Watson, Jasmin Oppenheimer, Jenny Zhang, Kevin Bohlmann, Leanna Ballester, Maia Rosenberg, Matthew Bond, Matthew Thomas, Michael Cavadias, Michael Kinnucan, Miriam Bensman, Nate Treadwell, Noah Weston, Osman Chaudhary, Paul Swartz, Phillip Henken, Renee Greene-Levitt, Renee Paradis, Sam Lewis, Stephen Maples, Susan Kang, Tyler Curtis, Tiffany Gong.
'Birddogging for Single Payer' with DSA
In April 2018, Rise and Resist teamed with the Democratic Socialists of America, Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP) - NY Metro Chapter and Housing Works Inc. for "birddogging" training "in the movement to win single-payer." Miriam Bensman attended the meeting.
- Sketch for a poster for the first DSA conference, March 1982. Delegates from DSOC and NAM met in Detroit to form the Democratic Socialists of America.
- Victoria Cross Blushing. Just been an active democratic-socialist all my life. And, I tried to do all I could in the "Dee" and I try to do all I might here on the other side of the border. I married a Canadian and am an immigrant in this fair land, and have "done some time" with the New Democrats, too. I am of the Penny Schantz, Miriam Bensman, Joseph Schwartz, Mark Levinson, Rafael PiRoman, Ben Tafoya, David Rathke et al, generation of DSOC peeps. With many mentors of the previous generations, including Roger Robinson and Oscar Pascal. Mike was so right when he used to tell our summer school and winter conferences for the Youth Section to look around and see that "these are your life-comrades; you may argue, you may get angry, you may have differing points of view at one given minute or another, but please, remember that we are all socialists." And yes, I've met Bernie, and Cornel, Barbara, Dorothy Healey, Saul Wellman, and all sorts of trade union activists and leaders and all of "the folks" from all sorts of social movements who have never stopped working. And yes, we still argue, but we are on the Arc Toward Justice. I try to respect them all, and well, when I got "here" I worked as a constituency rep for years and years and had the joy and pleasure of working with many solid New Democrats. I have the joy of having known Howard Pawley well, and continue in the joy of being friends with Adele Pawley and the Pawley family, for example.
DSA Conference delegate
Green Socialist Caucus
Democratic Socialists of America, Green Socialist Caucus closed Facebook group members, as of October 15 2017, included Miriam Bensman.
DSA Sewer Socialist Caucus Closed FB group
Queens DSA Unofficial Facebook Group
South Brooklyn DSA Official Closed Group
Political Education Forum, Upper Manhattan/Bronx Branch NYC-DSA
Members of the Political Education Forum, Upper Manhattan/Bronx Democratic Socialists of America, Closed Facebook Group, as of July 20, 2017 included Miriam Bensman.
Jewish Solidarity Caucus
DSA North Star Online Conference
DSA North Star Online Conference Sunday September 16, 2018:
Part 1. Introduction and National Perspectives 40 minutes Introduction. What is North Star about? What do we wish to accomplish? How do we do it? We’ll begin this meet up by hearing from DSA members active in governing, electoral politics, and organizing. How have DSA members successfully organized around electoral politics?
- Miriam Bensman - NYC DSA involvement in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez campaign & Cynthia Nixon-Jumaane Williams endorsements
- Natasha Fernandez-Silber and Tony Eggert - Detroit DSA and Rashida Tlaib campaign
- Mike Sylvester - Maine State House Rep since 2016 on being DSA member in office
- Eric Robertson - Atlanta Metro DSA and Stacey Abrams for GA gov campaign & other southern campaigns
DSA North Star
In 2018 Miriam Bensman was an original signatory of the DSA North Star founding principles statement.
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Miriam Bensman.
Toward Radical Democracy
Toward Radical Democracy was a 2018 "Proposal for Internal Voting Reform in Boston DSA".
- If you would like to sign on in support of this proposal, please click here. To date, over 100 members of Boston DSA have endorsed it. We also welcome support from DSA comrades in other chapters.
Signatories also included non Boston comrades such as Miriam Bensman.