- 1 Socialist Majority Caucus
- 2 Foreign friends
- 3 Fighting Landlords; Strategic Canvassing against Capitalism
- 4 Tweets address of the DHS secretary at dinner
- 5 Socialism Will Win
- 6 Socialist Activist
- 7 DSA Ella Baker & Lucy Parsons Training Closed FB Group
- 8 DSA delegate
- 9 Metro DC DSA Public Facbook group
- 10 Socialist Feminists (DSA) Facebook page
- 11 2018 leadership
- 12 References
Margaret McLaughlin is a "socialist activist" working as the Political Coordinator, Elections Team at Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC). She joined the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America Election Day 2016. She is dating Hamid Bendaas.
Socialist Majority Caucus
David Duhalde May 1 2019·
Spent my May Day in two international meetings.
Met with three delegates from the Brazilian Workers Party at Senator Sanders office then introduced them to the MDC DSA staple of Hunan Dynasty for lunch (also a favorite of the socialist senator).
Later, got to hang with Dutch Socialist MP Sadet Karabulut with some great comrades at the DSA office. We gave her gifts of inauguration posters and a book of Sanders speeches. You could tell her relief in talking to fellow socialists after several days of engagement with the mainstream of American politics.
H/T to Chris Maisano for connecting Karabulut and me.
Fighting Landlords; Strategic Canvassing against Capitalism
In August 2018, Jimmy Tobias from The Nation quoted Allison Hrabar as a participant in the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America campaign: "Stomp Out Slumlords", which would fight landlords who want to evict their tenants. Their vision "is to make dignified housing a universal human right, rather than a commodity, just as Medicare for All proponents hope to do with health care." “We decided to go to the courthouse and pull all of the dockets and start canvassing tenants facing eviction,” says Margaret McLaughlin, the chair of the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America chapter. “The court system is mostly working right now as a conveyor belt to evict people,” says Allison Hrabar, a member of the chapter’s steering committee. “We are throwing a wrench in that system.”
Other Democratic Socialists of America members quoted in the article were Jen Snyder, an organizer with San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America who explained that the movement to focus on housing is strategic: She was quoted as saying: "When we talk about building a movement, we’re talking about getting the most amount of people to see that capitalism is working directly against their best interests. And housing is a damn good way to talk about that.” The San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America claims to have been pivotal in the success of a recent ballot initiative that passed in San Francisco that "establishes a universal right to legal counsel for tenants facing eviction."
- “DSA members were the vast majority of the canvassers and door knockers,” says SF DSA’s Jen Snyder, who was the campaign manager for Proposition F. “We were the main driving volunteer force, we were the campaign staff, the campaign office was the DSA office.”
It’s "also a powerful way to organize a political base," explains Cea Weaver, a member of New York City Democratic Socialists of America’s steering committee as well as its housing working group. “As socialists, our goal is to build working-class power—whether at the polls, in our homes, or in our workplaces. New York tenants are a millions-strong constituency that cuts across lines of race, class, gender, and age. Many of us may vote as workers, students, or parents, but if we unite as tenants, we represent an unstoppable political force.”
From the article:
- "The Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America started sending out 10 to 20 volunteer canvassers each weekend to do long days of door-knocking at rental units across the city. They hit roughly 200 doors on any given weekend, encouraging tenants to defend themselves from eviction."
According to an "operations manual," their "strategy is to make it as difficult as possible to wield eviction as a weapon by raising the costs of evicting a tenant and flooding the channels that permit and carry out evictions."
From their manual:
- "A DSA working group in Washington, D.C. has identified a strategic chokepoint that will allow us to effectively challenge the city’s landlords: landlord-tenant court, the institution responsible for evictions. The power and profit of landlords always depends on eviction: housing can only be a commodity as long as owners have the right to deny shelter to people who do not pay. Our strategy is to make it as difficult as possible to wield eviction as a weapon by raising the costs of evicting a tenant and flooding the channels that permit and carry out evictions. Poor tenants have the latent power to clog the machinery of displacement, and we have developed a program to unlock that power."
Tweets address of the DHS secretary at dinner
On June 19 2018, Margaret McLaughlin tweeted the address of DHS secretary, prompting fellow comrades to come troll her at dinner. Other DSA members included Allison Hrabar and Jesse Rabinowitz as reported at the Daily Beast in an article titled "DSA Says They’re Coming After More Trump Officials After Ruining Kirstjen Nielsen's Dinner." Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America member Austin Kendall also joined the ambush. The group Smash Racism DC tweeted that the D.C. branch of the Industrial Workers of the World were also in attendance.
From the New York Post:
- "Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was forced to leave a trendy Mexican restaurant in Washington, DC, Tuesday night when protesters descended on the eatery shouting “Shame!”
- "Demonstrators occupied DXDC Cocina Mexicana at around 8 p.m. as Nielsen was attempting to have a meal with an unidentified man, according to a video posted on Facebook.
- "Staff members try to contain the situation as members of the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America flood the restaurant, the video shows.
Socialism Will Win
DSA Ella Baker & Lucy Parsons Training Closed FB Group
In 2017, the Metro DC Democratic Socialists of America Election Working Group finalized a 29 member convention delegate list. The list included Margaret McLaughlin.
Metro DC DSA Public Facbook group
Socialist Feminists (DSA) Facebook page
Congratulations to the newly elected Steering Committee for 2018
- Secretary Nat. S.
- Treasurer Gabriel Rodriguez
- These Democratic Socialists Aren’t Just Targeting Incumbent Politicians; They’re going after slumlords and real-estate speculators. accessed August 11 2018
- An Anti-Eviction Operations Manual accessed August 11 2018
- DSA Says They’re Coming After More Trump Officials After Ruining Kirstjen Nielsen's Dinner, accessed June 20 2018
- The Activist Left Doesn't Give a Shit About Your Calls for Civility accessed August 7 2018
- accessed June 19, 2018
- Protesters chase Homeland Security secretary from Mexican restaurant, accessed June 19
- 'Socialism Will Win': Local DSA Chair Starts 2018 Off Right By Trolling Ted Cruz, accessed June 19, 2018
- accessed June 19, 2018
- [MDC DSA Weekly Update for May 18-25 2018]