- 1 Background
- 2 "LA model"
- 3 American Prospect
- 4 DSA Contact
- 5 Tribute to Ben Dobbs
- 6 Socialist Community School
- 7 DSA Conference delegate
- 8 DSA National Convention
- 9 Los Angeles DSA Executive Board 1989
- 10 Tribute to Michael Harrington
- 11 California DSA “Key” list
- 12 Campaign for America's Future
- 13 Socialists organize to "challenge for power" in Los Angeles
- 14 2001 DSA Convention
- 15 "WAKE UP DEMOCRATS! Take Back the Country"
- 16 The Next Agenda Conference
- 17 Progressive Los Angeles Network
- 18 Democratic Socialists of America
- 19 Agenda for Shared Prosperity
- 20 "Dissent" magazine
- 21 The American Prospect
- 22 DSA vice-chair
- 23 Labor, the Left, and Progressives in the Obama Era
- 24 Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- 25 DSA North Star
- 26 References
Harold Meyerson (born 1950) is an op-ed columnist for the Washington Post and long-time Vice-Chair of Democratic Socialists of America.
Executive Editor and Political Editor of the LA Weekly from 1989 to 2001, Meyerson is considered one of the most astute commentators on Los Angeles politics. Meyerson is Editor at Large of The American Prospect, an op-ed columnist for the Washington Post, and continues as Editor At Large for the LA Weekly.
In 1968, at the Democratic Convention, Meyerson worked as a young aide to Senator Eugene McCarthy.
Meyerson, whose parents belonged to the Socialist Party USA of Norman Thomas, is a self-described social democrat and a passionate pro-labor activist. His writing has appeared in almost every left-of-center publication, including The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The New Republic, The Nation, The New Statesman, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, and Dissent.
As executive editor and chief political columnist for the L.A. Weekly, Meyerson has argued that the new "L.A. model" of progressive politics, centered on a powerful labor-Latino alliance, offers a blueprint for reviving a sluggish U.S. liberalism. Even this month's defeat of mayoral candidate Antonio Villaraigosa, whom he roundly endorsed, hasn't shaken Meyerson's conviction that the Golden State is rapidly shifting leftward, with L.A. at its tectonic midpoint.
Circa early 1980s Harold Meyerson was listed as an at large Los Angeles Council member for the Democratic Socialists of America. At the bottom of the list was the statement, "Change the USA, work with DSA!".
Tribute to Ben Dobbs
On Sunday, June 7, 1981, the Los Angeles Chapter of the New American Movement sponsored a Tribute to Ben Dobbs for "His lifelong commitment to socialism". The event was held at the Miramar-Sheraton Hotel, Santa Monica, California. Sponsors of the event included Harold Meyerson.
Socialist Community School
DSA Conference delegate
DSA National Convention
Speakers at the Democratic Socialists of America 2nd National Convention, in Berkeley California, included: Nicaraguan Foreign Minister, Fr. Miguel D'Escoto, Mpho Tutu, daughter of SA Anglican Bishop, Desmond Tutu, Marta Petrusewicz, Barbara Ehrenreich, Rep. Ron Dellums, Elinor Glenn, Michael Harrington, Harold Meyerson, Paulette Pierce, David Plotke, Jim Shoch, Beverly Stein, Mel Pritchard, Jim Jacobs, Dolores Delgado Campbell, Guy Molyneux, Cornel West, Gail Radford.
Los Angeles DSA Executive Board 1989
According to Los Angeles Left October 1989, Los Angeles Democratic Socialists of America's Executive Board consisted of Ben Dobbs, Brad Jones, Barbara Hooper, Claire Kaplan, Bob Niemann, Paul Schimek, Harold Meyerson, Steve Tarzynski.
Tribute to Michael Harrington
California DSA “Key” list
Campaign for America's Future
Socialists organize to "challenge for power" in Los Angeles
Tarzynski listed 25 people he thought should be on an "A-list" of "25 or so leaders/activists/intellectuals and/or "eminent persons" who would gather periodically to theorize/strategize about how to rebuild a progressive movement in our metropolitan area that could challenge for power."
Tarzynski listed himself, Harold Meyerson, Karen Bass, Sylvia Castillo, Gary Phillips, Joe Hicks, Richard Rothstein, Steve Cancian, Larry Frank, Torie Osborn, Rudy Acuna, Aris Anagnos, Abby Arnold, Carl Boggs, Blase Bonpane, Rick Brown, Stanley Sheinbaum, Alice Callahan, Jim Conn, Peter Dreier, Maria Elena Durazo, Miguel Contreras, Mike Davis, Bill Gallegos, Bob Gottlieb, Kent Wong, Russell Jacoby, Bong Hwan Kim, Paula Litt (and Barry Litt, with a question mark), Peter Olney, Derek Shearer, Clancy Sigal and Anthony Thigpenn.
Included in a suggested elected officials sub-group were Mark Ridley-Thomas, Gloria Romero, Jackie Goldberg, Gil Cedillo, Tom Hayden, Antonio Villaraigosa, Paul Rosenstein and Congressmen Xavier Becerra, Henry Waxman and Maxine Waters.
Tarzynski went on to write "I think we should limit the group to 25 max, otherwise group dynamics begins to break down....As i said, I would like this to take place in a nice place with good food and drink...it should properly be an all day event."
2001 DSA Convention
The Democratic Socialists of America 2001 National Convention took place in Philadelphia Nov. 8-11, beginning with the traditional Friday night outreach event, in this case a “public dialogue” on 9-11 with DSA Vice Chair (and American Prospect Washington editor) Harold Meyerson, Bill Fletcher (in absentia) from the AFL-CIO and Black Radical Congress, and Linda Panetta from School of the Americas Watch.
"WAKE UP DEMOCRATS! Take Back the Country"
"WAKE UP DEMOCRATS! Take Back the Country" Conference, with Rob Reiner, Robert Reich, Robert Rosendahl, Rep. Hilda Solis, Rep. Henry A. Waxman, Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr., Rep. Dennis Kucinich, Ed Begley, Jr., Robert Borosage, Vincent Bugliosi, Warren Beatty, Susan Lerner, Rep. Maxine Waters, Roy Ulrich, Medea Benjamin, S. David Freeman, Peter Navarro, Hon. Jackie Goldberg, Harold Meyerson, Hon. Antonio Villaraigosa, Amy Wakeland, Bob Erlenbush, Hon. Eric Garcetti, Tom Hayden, Aqella Sherrills, Parke Skelton, & Lila Garrett. Sponsored by SCADA. L.A., CA, 6/24/01.
The Next Agenda Conference
Progressive LA: The Next Agenda Conference was held On October 20, 2001 in Los Angeles at the California Science Center.
The Progressive Los Angeles Network (PLAN) and the Institute for America’s Future "will co-sponsor an important conference -- the Next Agenda Conference -- designed to celebrate recent victories, build upon Los Angeles’ progressive momentum, and link local issues with a national progressive agenda. The conference will also help solidify a more strategic and integrated progressive movement in Los Angeles".
Progressive Los Angeles Network
Democratic Socialists of America
LA DSA conference
An "insurgent" Hilda Solis was a keynote speaker at the 2005 Democratic Socialists of America national conference "Twenty-First Century Socialism" in Los Angeles, with DSA leaders Peter Dreier and Harold Meyerson.
- Saturday evening delegates recognized the contributions of DSA vice chair and Washington Post]columnist Harold Meyerson, Occidental College sociologist and longtime DSAer Peter Dreier and insurgent California Congress member Hilda Solis (D) who in turn provided in-depth perspectives of the political scene.
"Third generation Menshivik"
At the Los Angeles conference DSA Vice Chair Harold Myerson, describing himself as a “third generation Menshivik”, discussed the continuing relevance of certain parts of the Communist Manifesto to understanding today’s “shareholder capitalism”.
On May 24, 2007, Agenda for Shared Prosperity, a project of the Democratic Socialists of America-dominated Economic Policy Institute, sponsored an event entitled "Getting Real About Families". Speaking at the event were Rep. Rosa DeLauro, introduced by Lawrence Mishel, Heidi Hartmann, introduced by Harold Meyerson, and Janet Gornick.
Bernard Avishai, Joanne Barkan, David Bensman, Marshall Berman, Paul Berman , H Brand, David Bromwich, Luther Carpenter , Jean L Cohen, Mitchell Cohen, Bogdan Denitch , Jeff Faux, Cynthia Fuchs Epstein, Todd Gitlin, Murray Hausknecht, Agnes Heller, Jeffrey Isaac, Michael Kazin , Martin Kilson, Erazim Kohak, William Kornblum, Jeremy Larner, Susie Linfield, Kevin Mattson, Deborah Meier, Harold Meyerson, Nicolaus Mills , Jo-Ann Mort, Brian Morton, Carol O'Cleireacain, George Packer, Martin Peretz, Anson Rabinbach, Ruth Rosen, James Rule, Alan Ryan, Patricia Cayo Sexton, Jim Sleeper, Ann Snitow, Cornel West, Sean Wilentz, Dennis Wrong.
The American Prospect
Democratic Socialists of America Vice-Chairs in 2009 were;
Labor, the Left, and Progressives in the Obama Era
April 6, 2010 at the McShain Lounge in McCarthy Hall Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. a seminar "Labor, the Left, and Progressives in the Obama Era" was held.
- After the success of health care reform, what’s next on labor’s agenda? How can the labor movement grow and engage with a progressive movement that speaks to the Obama era? What is the role of younger workers, workers of color, and women? Is there a new “New Deal” on the horizon?
Barbara Ehrenreich, author of Nickel and Dimed, Christopher Hayes, Washington editor of The Nation, Gerry Hudson, executive vice-president of the SEIU, Michael Kazin, co-editor of Dissent, Harold Meyerson, columnist for the Washington Post, and Liz Shuler, secretary-treasurer of the AFL-CIO will speak.
The event was sponsored by Dissent magazine.
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Harold Meyerson.
DSA North Star
In 2018 Harold Meyerson was an original signatory of the DSA North Star founding principles statement.
- CALIFORNIA AND THE AMERICAN DREAM movie webpage
- Campus Progress, Five Minutes With Harold Meyerson, Posted by Jake Blumgart, January 29th, 2009
- LA Times, Icon of West Coast Liberalism Set to Take On D.C, June 29, 2001|REED JOHNSON
- LA Times, Icon of West Coast Liberalism Set to Take On D.C, June 29, 2001|REED JOHNSON
- DSA contacts sheet
- Tribute to Ben Dobbs program, June 7, 1981
- Socialist Community School committee member list Feb 1982
- DSA Conference delegate list Oct. 12 1983 update
- Dem Left, Jan/Feb 1986, pages 9-11
- CA DSA Key list January 24 1993
- CAF Co-Founders
- Yankee Radical jan. 2002
- [Announce Oct. 20: Progressive LA Conference announce-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu announce-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu. Tue Oct 16 10:22:22 CDT 2001]
- PLAN website, accessed October 2011
-  Democratic left, Winter 2006, page 2
- TYR March 2006
- Agenda for Shared Prosperity: Getting Real About Families, May 24, 2007 (accessed on Nov. 16, 2010)
- The American Prospect website: Masthead (accessed on Nov. 15, 2009)