Johanna Hester '
Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance
APALA "Rising American Electorate" event
The Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance , AFL-CIO, hosted “The Rising American Electorate: Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders at the Forefront of Political Action,” a briefing and dinner reception, on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2011, at 6 p.m. at the UCLA Downtown Labor Center, 675 S. Park View St. (at Wilshire Boulevard), Los Angeles.
- The event, which recognizes the growth of Asian American and Pacific Islander communities and highlights the history of AAPIs in politics, is being held in conjunction with the APALA National Executive Board meeting that is taking place Oct. 6 to 8.
- “AAPIs, especially in Los Angeles, have played instrumental roles in electing candidates that support working family and immigrant issues, while running for office as well,” APALA said in a statement. “In Los Angeles alone, AAPIs now number over 1.34 million, and deserve a chance to make their voices heard on key issues, including the budget, jobs, health care, and education.”
- State Controller John Chiang
- Rep. Judy Chu (D-El Monte), chair of Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus
- State Sen. Ted Lieu (D-Torrance)
- Assemblymembers Warren Furutani (D-Long Beach) and Mike Eng (D-Monterey Park)
- APALA President Johanna Hester
- APALA Los Angeles Chair Raahi Reddy
- Kent Wong, UCLA Labor Center
Asian Americans Demand a Clean DREAM Act
Asian American Immigrant Youth and Allies Convene at the U.S. Capitol to Demand the Passage of a Clean DREAM Act Washington, D.C. – Wednesday, November 15, marks over 2 months since the Trump administration killed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, putting the lives of immigrant youth immediately at risk for detention and deportation.
On November 15, over 120 Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) immigrant youth and leaders from across the country will convene to demand that the passing of a clean DREAM Act become Congress’s top priority before the end of the year.
Following the press conference, AAPI leaders will engage in a march and a rally as well as legislative visits urging key congressional targets to pass a clean DREAM Act by December 8th.
When: 11:00 AM ET | Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Where: House Triangle, United States Capitol, Washington, DC 20016
- Steve Li, – ASPIRE
- Saba Nafees, Ph. D. Candidate – Texas Tech University
- Jung Bin Cho, National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC)
- Congresswoman Judy Chu (CA-27), CAPAC Chair
- Congressman Mark Takano (CA-33), CAPAC Member
- Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) (invited)
- Johanna Puno Hester, Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance (APALA)
- Patrick Carolan – Franciscan Action Network
- Additional CAPAC Members
- The Rafu Shimpo, LABOR AND ELECTED OFFICIALS TO CELEBRATE GROWING CLOUT OF AAPIS 0POSTED ON OCTOBER 6, 2011
- [http://aapidream.org/24 NAKASEC Asian Americans Convene in DC to Demand a Clean DREAM Act NOVEMBER 10, 2017YONGHO KIM]