Fighting for Illegal Immigration Rally January 16 2018
On January 17 2018, Pramila Jayapal protested with DACA activists from NAKASEC (Dae Joong Yoon Co-Director, Sam Yu Communications Coordinator), Tony Choi, Rob Bonta, Kevin de Leon, UndocuBlack Network, Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAJC), African Communities Together leader and Local 23 President Bert Bayou and others.
Sam Yu was quoted at the Huffington Post:
- "Sam Yu, Communications Coordinator, for NAKASEC told HuffPost that it was important that communities of color come together as a united front on immigration.
- “These issues aren’t just Black, or AAPI, or Latinx. Because of that, we must come together and stand with all of our communities, for none of us are free until all of us are free,” he said.
From the Facebook Live Video:
- "Community members from the National Korean American Service & Education Consortium (NAKASEC), the UndocuBlack Network (UBN), Asian Americans Advancing Justice - AAJC, The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC), African Communities Together and UNITE HERE Local 23 will host a timely press conference denouncing President Trump’s racist statements in his meeting with U.S. Senators last week and call for a DREAM Act that leaves family sponsorship and diversity visa programs intact by January 19th, the deadline for the upcoming Continuing Resolution (CR). In addition to impacted community members and community leaders, Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC) Chair Congresswoman Judy Chu, CAPAC Immigration Subcommittee Chair Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, California State Senate President pro tempore Kevin de Leon and California Assemblymember and Chair of the California Asian & Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus Rob Bonta will participate."
The speakers in the order in which they appeared:
- Kevin de Leon
- Pramila Jayapal
- Rob Bonta
- Tony Choi, 18 Million Rising, Former organizer with the Women’s March
- Guerline Jozef, UndocuBlack Network
- Bert Bayou New York Immigration Coalition
- Judy Chu (absent)
- John Yang, President, Asian Americans Advancing Justice - AAJC