Jerry Harris... is a Chicago socialist. He is a member of Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism.
Committees of Correspondence Connection
Chicago Third Wave Study Group
In 1993, a year after the Guardian closed its doors, Carl Davidson published, along with co-author Jerry Harris, history professor at DeVry University in Chicago, and Ivan Handler, Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the State of Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, a new manifesto, "The Promise and Peril of the Third Wave: Socialism and Democracy for the 21st Century."
It was formed expressly to produce this document for the discussion on goals and principles taking place in the Committees of Correspondence, leading up to the founding convention of a new organization of the American left in the summer of 1994.
cy.Rev: A Journal of Cybernetic Revolution, Sustainable Socialism & Radical Democracy. The first issue, with articles by Carl Davidson, Jerry Harris, and Ivan Handler, who once had been active in the New Left and the Maoist movement, was submitted to the founding convention of the Committees of Correspondence.
cy.Rev: A Journal of Cybernetic Revolution, Sustainable Socialism and Radical Democracy.
- Editorial Board (in formation, 1996): Abdul Alkalimat, Stanley Aronowitz, Rhon Baiman, Carl Davidson, Jim Davis, Ivan Handler, Jerry Harris, Jilliane Smith, Selena Sol, Mike Stack, John Trinkl, Sue Van Hattem.
- Managing Editor: Carl Davidson.
- Production Group: Brodie Dollinger, Jerry Harris, Anita Malinski and Paul Shafer.
Online University of the Left
The Online University of the Left, a new `Left Unity’ project, was initiated by the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism in 2012. It’s core orientation is Marxist, but it contains teaching resources reflecting the full range of views on the wider left. About 50 left academics are involved in the core group so far-Richard Wolff, David Schweickart, Rose Brewer, Timothy Johnson, Gregory Morales, Bill Tabb, Ellen Schwartz, Jerry Harris, Linda Alcoff, Dana Cloud, Gar Alperovitz, to name a few.
One of the OUL’s key aims is to solve this problem of scattered resources, creating a web portal that will bring much of this valuable material together in one spot in cyberspace.
- Chicago CoC "Membership, Subscription and Mailing List" 10.14.94
- [http://www.nathannewman.org/EDIN/EDINlist/.left/CoC/.dandi/.di7/.di7.4.html The promise and peril of the Ôthird wave' Ð socialism and democracy for the 21st century by Carl Davidson, Ivan Handler and Jerry Harris]
- [cy.Rev #4: A Journal of Cybernetic Revolution, Sustainable Socialism and Radical Democracy]
- CCDS discussion page, accessed July 8, 2012