- 1 Education
- 2 Leadership
- 3 CCDS Peace and Solidarity Committee
- 4 Committees of Correspondence
- 5 Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- 6 Committees of Correspondence NCC
- 7 Progressives for Obama
- 8 The Rag Blog
- 9 CCDS Vietnam tour
- 10 Moral Mondays
- 11 CCDS 2016 leadership
- 12 'Globalization, Race and the New Nationalism'
- 13 Latin America Task Force
- 14 The Left We Want to Build: Breaking Out of the Margins
- 15 Inside/Outside Project
- 16 References
Harry Targ was a student at the University of Illinois during the 1960-61 academic year.
Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism co-chairs elected October 2020:
CCDS Peace and Solidarity Committee
In 2020 Tom Gogan, Duncan McFarland and Gary Hicks, Harry Targ, Betty Smith and Courtney Childs were all members of the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism Peace and Solidarity Committee.
Committees of Correspondence
On February 26 1994 a Midwest Regional Meeting of Committees of Correspondence was held at West Lafayette Indiana.
Participants included Harry Targ, Lafayette, Indiana.
In 1997 Harry Targ served on the National Co-Ordinating Committee of the Committees of Correspondence.
Marilyn Albert, Mael Apollon, Carl Bloice, Barbara Blong, Barry Cohen, David Cohen, Otis Cunningham, Carl Davidson, Mort Frank, Todd Freeberg, Pat Fry, Marian Gordon, Ira Grupper, June Hemmingson, Ed Hemmingson, Fred Hicks, Duncan McFarland, Anne Mitchell, Maxine Orris, Ted Pearson, Gina Pesulima-Palencar, Edith Pollach, Marty Price, Merle Ratner, Jay Schaffner, Jae Scharlin, Mike Stein, Harry Targ, Walter Teague, Meta Van Sickle, Steve Willett and Mildred Williamson.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Harry Tag, Professor of Political Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
Committees of Correspondence NCC
Harry Targ, Indiana, was elected in 2013 to the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism National Coordinating Committee;
Progressives for Obama
The Rag Blog
CCDS Vietnam tour
In March 2011,The Vietnam Women’s Union welcomed and arranged a study tour in Vietnam for the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism. Paricipants included Paul Krehbiel, a New York former art student , once active in the anti Vietnam war movement, Lucille Fried of Los Angeles, Duncan McFarland and Harry Targ.
In 2014 Harry Targ reported on the newly launched Indiana Moral Mondays and the success of a mass meeting in Indianapolis with Rev. William J. Barber II, President of the NC NAACP and leader of the North Carolina Moral Monday movement. Targ represented CCDS in the coalition that organized the events.
CCDS 2016 leadership
(elected July and September 2016)
'Globalization, Race and the New Nationalism'
More than 150 academics specializing in Global Students, as well as a number of political activists, gathered at Howard University June 6-8, 2018 to share papers, research and ideas. The overall theme was 'Globalization, Race and the New Nationalism'. It was the 17th year the GSA has met, and the organization now has about 2000 members in North America and the Caribbean.
A major keynote featured William I. Robinson from the University of California at Santa Barbara, and Jamala Rogers of the Organization for Black Struggle in St. Louis, Mo. Robinson discussed how globalization was bringing new forms of fascism into being, while Rogers presented her new book summarizing the lessons of the Ferguson rebellion.
CCDS organized a workshop entitled 'On Multi-Racial/Multi-National Unity: Theory and Practice,' where Harry Targ, Ira Grupper, Valeria Sinclair Chapman, and Carl Davidson made presentations. Carl Davidson, a founder of the GSA, spoke at the closing plenary, presenting his 'US Six-Party System Thesis 3.0' paper.
Latin America Task Force
The Left We Want to Build: Breaking Out of the Margins
In October 2017, Christine Riddiough Democratic Socialists of America signed the letter The Left We Want to Build: Breaking Out of the Margins.
Fighting Trump and Building the Left, from the Left Inside/Outside Project
- But it’s also an exciting time to be part of the U.S. left. We have momentum on all the levels we have to work on, and more energy for these efforts than we have seen in decades. We take the inspiration from the examples listed above, and recognize that our main challenge is bringing our work to scales that will be able to shift the balance of forces in the U.S. The Left Inside/Outside Project formed out of a common feeling that U.S. politics after Trump required both serious engagement with electoral politics and a left that could work collaboratively to build on our existing strengths. Twenty months later, we still believe this: our commitment is to work ever more closely together with this vision, to learn from one another, build on our most advanced experiences, and build a more unified and effective socialist movement that is in this fight for the long haul.
Signatories included Harry Targ , Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism. Co-chair.
- COC Midwest Regional Meeting running sheet
- CoC Corresponder November 1996/January 1997 Page 2
- CoC Corresponder November 1996/January 1997 Page 2
- Letter to Obama on Iran
- CCDS leadership, accessed March 2014
- Progressives for Obama
- [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntOWSJ8HaaY Vietnam TV international, CCDS Vietnam Study tour 2011, Youtube video.
- CCDS National Coordinating Committee MeetsPosted by admin on October 13, 2014
- [Mobilizer June 2018]