Roger L. Green ...
A celebration of their publication of "Che Guevara and the Cuban Revolution: Writings and Speeches of Ernesto Che Guevara" was to be held on Sunday, December 6, 1987 in Manhattan, New York City, sponsored by the Socialist Workers Party run Pathfinder Bookstore, 79 Leonard Street, NYC, NY. Speakers for the event were listed as:
- David Deutschmann - book editor
- Gus Newport - former mayor of Berkeley, Cal.
- Roger Green - NY State Assemblyman, NY State Assembly
- Teresa Walsh - Venceremos Brigade
- Ray Santiago - Secretary-Treasurer, FLOC Farm Labor Organizing Committee
- representatives of SWAPO and ANC
"A call to build an organization for the 1990s and beyond"
Unity, January 28 1991, issued a statement "A call to build an organization for the 1990s and beyond" on pages 4 to 6.
Those listed as supporters of the call included Roger Green, New York state assemblyman, Brooklyn.
"Where to in'92"
Those interviewed were Rose Sanders, civil rights attorney, Selma, Oscar Rios, mayor of Watsonville California, Roger Green, state assemblyman Brooklyn, Wilma Chan school board president Oakland, Dr. James Zogby, president Arab American Institute, Pedro Noguera, president Berkeley School Board, Richard Moore, SouthWest Organizing Project, Tajel Shah, United States Student Association president, Merle Hansen, North American Farm Alliance, Wilma Mankiller, principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, Walter Johnson, secretary treasurer San Francisco Labor Council, Ginny Montes general secretary NOW.
Roger Green endorsed Unity, June 1992.
New Party builder
New Party News Fall 1994 listed over 100 New Party activists-"some of the community leaders, organizers, retirees,, scholars, artists, parents, students, doctors, writers and other activists who are building the NP" the list included Roger Green, NY State Assembly
Paul Robeson celebration
- Judith LeBlanc, Communist Party USA
- Gus Hall, chairman of the Communist Party USA, talked of meeting Robeson annually to collect his dues and renew his party membership
- John Bachtell, chairman of the New York district of the Communist Party USA
- Amiri Baraka, who read poetry
- Yasmin Adeigbola, who sang "Amazing Grace"
Tributes came from ;
- Tom Duane authored a City Council proclamation praising Robeson's lifelong fight for a "world at peace, free of racism, inequality and for unity"...and his fight against the erosion of domestic freedom of expression and fanatical anti-communism....Paul Robeson has become a model and an inspiration to all of us..."
- Richard Gottfried, presented a resolution from the New York State assembly honoring Robeson. Democrat David Paterson introduced the resolution in the State Senate. Republican John Marchi and Democrats Richard Gottfried and Roger Green, introduced it in the State Assembly.
Sponsors of the event included poet Amina Baraka, Grace T. Bassett, actress Vinie Burrows, former Peoples Voice editor Marvel Cooke, Councilmember Tom Duane, Attorney Rob Ellis, Assemblymember Roger Green, Gus Hall, Councilmember Bill Perkins, labor unionist Bobbie Rabinowitz, actor John Randolph, Pete Robinson, poet Sonia Sanchez, singer Pete Seeger, labor unionist Chris Silvera, PWW editor Tim Wheeler, New York City Coalition of Black Trade Unionists president Jim Webb and labor unionist Ira Williams.
2000 WFP Convention
The New York Working Families Party 2000 Convention was held at the Desmond Hotel, March 26.
- Jim Duncan, WFP co-chair and statewide political director of the United Auto Workers
- Bertha Lewis, WFP co-chair and chair of New York ACORN
- Bob Masters, WFP co-chair and statewide political director of the Communication Workers of America
- State Senator Eric Schneiderman
- Chris Silvera, Treasurer of Teamsters local 808
- Dennis Hughes, president New York Federation of Labor
- Jose Velazquez, Lithographers local 1 organizer
- Ed Vargas, director of the state council of UNITE
- Karen Scharff, executive director of Citizen Action New York
- Jim Hightower
- Maude Hurd, national chair of ACORN
- Bradley Erck, a rep. on the Niagara County legislature and UAW Local 686, legislative committee chair
- Larry Handley, President Amalgamated Transit Union
- Arthur Cheliotes, president of Communication Workers of America local 1180
- Hillary Clinton
- State Assemblyman Roger Green
- Senator Chuck Schumer
- Antoine Thompson, new board president of Citizen Action, upstate New York
- Guardian, December 9, 1987, p. 8, ad.
- PWW Hundreds honor Robeson's communist legacy, June 6, 1998, page 3
- PWW March 21, 1998, page 2
- Peoples Weekly World, April 22, 2000, pages 10,11,