- 1 North Star Network
- 2 Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
- 3 CoC National Conference endorser
- 4 Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
- 5 Editorial board News for a People's World
- 6 Opposing the "War on Terror"
- 7 cy.Rev
- 8 Committees of Correspondence
- 9 Progressives for Obama
- 10 Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
- 11 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 12 War Times crew
- 13 References
John Trinkl is an editor and writer in San Francisco. He covered the U.S. left for the (National) Guardian Newsweekly from 1976-1985. .
North Star Network
In the early 1980's Peter Camejo was in the process of forming the North Star Network with members of the Bay Area Socialist Organizing Committee. BASOC involved veteran Maoist leaders including Steve Hamilton, who had at one time been a leader of the Progressive Labor Party. Along with former Guardian writer John Trinkl, Camejo and the BASOC leaders sought ways to regroup the left on a nonsectarian basis. The survivors and the North Star Network launched a magazine called Crossroads that tried to popularize nonsectarian ideas and regroup broad sectors of the left.
Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
In the mid 1990s John Trinkl servedon the Board of Directors Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies- sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 John Trinkl, Guardian, California endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Battle of Ideas 2 Strategies for influencing and creating inroads in the news and information media.
- Steve Rhodes, Bay Area Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting
- Pat Scott, general manager, KPFA Radio, Berkeley
- Jim Smith, Newspaper Guild, LA
- John Trinkl, writer, National Guardian, SF
Editorial board News for a People's World
The 1993 News for a People's World editor's committee board consisted of Alice Sunshine (editor), Marcy Rein (managing editor), committee members Pele deLappe, Conn Hallinan, Tahan Jones, Eric Mar, Hannah Miller, Jonathan Nack, Marty Price, David Raymond , Barry Sheppard and John Trinkl.
Opposing the "War on Terror"
In the immediate aftermath of 9/11 supportersof STORM and the Bay Area Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism established Ad Hoc Committee 'On Poitical Strategy' to fight against Bush's war against terrorism.
The group issued an October 5, 2001 statement to other activists;
- As we immersed ourselves in the fightback to Bush's war against terrorism, we felt the need to get our political bearings as leftists. So we organized a discussion attended by 27 diverse left activists in the San Francisco Bay Area on Sept. 30.
- September 11, and the Bush administration's reaction to it, is a defining historical moment, ushering in a new and dangerous period in international politics. Washington's agenda is to entrench the national security state and a new level of international dominance on the basis of a permanent war on terrorism--bringing the "new world order" to fruition.
- The defining political axis of this new period is Washington's international war on terrorism--and the fight against it...The political and ideological balance of forces, demands, and outcomes of all struggles will be affected by this central issue, to one degree or another.
- Given this, the fight for peace should be the central demand for the people's movements...However, peace is not a centrist, liberal demand, but in fact is central to an anti-imperialist agenda. Its main content is that of staying the hand of imperialist war and fighting U.S. militarism in all its forms.
cy.Rev: A Journal of Cybernetic Revolution, Sustainable Socialism and Radical Democracy.
- Editorial Board (in formation, 1996): Abdul Alkalimat, Stanley Aronowitz, Rhon Baiman, Carl Davidson, Jim Davis, Ivan Handler, Jerry Harris, Jilliane Smith, Selena Sol, Mike Stack, John Trinkl, Sue Van Hattem.
- Managing Editor: Carl Davidson.
- Production Group: Brodie Dollinger, Jerry Harris, Anita Malinski and Paul Shafer.
Committees of Correspondence
John Trinkl wrote a reviewof Committees of Correspondence member Max Elbaum's book "Revolution in the Air" for the Winter 2002 issue of the Bay Area Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism newsletter.
- The question of how socialists should organize themselves has been around since Marx's time. In the U.S. today, with the left so weak and fragmented, maximizing the influence of socialist efforts is critical. The CCDS has grappled with this question since its founding, not only how it should organize itself, but what strategy to follow to build toward a larger, more significant socialist organization in the U.S.
- There are no easy answers to this question. But history does provide some lessons. Bay Area activist Max Elbaum has performed an extremely valuable service in his new book, Revolution in the Air, documenting and analyzing the self-described party-building movement of the 1970s and 1980s. Several tens of thousands of activists were either involved in this movement or directly influenced by it, yet its story is virtually unknown to many present-day activists.
- The book has sparked much discussion. CCDS members won't agree with all the book's conclusions, but a debate of the issues it raises can only benefit the CCDS and the left as a whole.
Progressives for Obama
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those invited, on Facebook included John Trinkl.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included John Trinkl.
War Times crew
In 2017, the "War Times Crew" consisted of Rebecca Gordon, Sasha Wright, Jan Adams, Hany Khalil, Clare Bayard, Lynn Koh, Rami El-Amine, Jen Soriano, John Trinkl, Gary Hicks, Carlos Martinez, Christine Ahn, Francesca Fiorentini, Felicia Gustin, Greg Hom, Max Elbaum, Nathan Paulsen, Michael Reagan, Sarah Lazare, Alicia Garza, Elvis Mendez, Becca Tumposky.
- Revolution in the Air, posted to www.marxmail.org on Aug. 10, 2002
- Crossroads March 1996
- CCDS Background
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- News for a People's World, November 1993, page 2
- [cy.Rev #4: A Journal of Cybernetic Revolution, Sustainable Socialism and Radical Democracy]
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109
- War Times Crew, accessed February 14, 2017