- 1 North Americans in Support of Angola
- 2 FRSO connection
- 3 Black anti-Columbus group
- 4 Malcolm X conference
- 5 Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
- 6 Freedom Road event
- 7 Socialist Scholars Conference 1992
- 8 cy.Rev
- 9 Black Radical Congress
- 10 The Black Activist
- 11 Black Left Unity December 2013
- 12 References
North Americans in Support of Angola
Circa 1988 Freedom Road Socialist Organization compiled a "Nationality Contact" list. It comprised of people Freedom Road would like to work with or to recruit, mainly through racial issues.
The list included Abdul Alkalimat.
Black anti-Columbus group
Ona Alston, Abdul Alkalimat, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Monica Jackson, Ralph Gomes, Cynthia Larimore, Jerome Scott, Cornell Locklear, Leo Oso, Walda Katz-Fishman, were on the working group for a conference to discuss an "Afro-Centric Counter-Columbus commemoration" Bill Fletcher, Jr. wrote about the group "In search of our truth, and our future" inFreedom Road Socialist Organization's Forward Motion, December 1991 issue.
Malcolm X conference
A conference, Malcolm X: Radical Tradition and a Legacy of Struggle was held in New York City, November 14 1990.
Conference convenor was Abdul Alkalimat.
The "Black Liberation and Social Revolution: U.S.A. Perspectives" panel consisted of;
- Abdul Alkalimat, 21st Century Books
- Chokwe Lumumba, New African Peoples Organization, By Any Means Necessary Newspaper
- Linda Burnham, Frontline Political Organization, CrossRoads Magazine
- Bill Fletcher, Jr., Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Forward Motion Journal
- Nelson Peery, Communist Labor Party, Peoples Tribune Newspaper
Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
The New African-American Middle Class and the Struggle for Black Empowerment
- Moderator: Sam Anderson, Network of Black Organizers
- Amiri Baraka, Playwright, Poet, Activist
- Abdul Alkalimat, Africana Studies, SUNY- Stony Brook
- Basil Wilson, History, John Jay College, CUNY
Freedom Road event
In 1991 a Freedom Road Socialist Organization/Forward Motion Forum was held in Chicago. Speakers were Bernardine Dohrn, former Nat. officer Students for a Democratic Society, Abdul Alkalimat, convenor Malcolm X conference, Camille Odeh from the Arab Community Center, Joe Iosbaker from Freedom Road Socialist Organization. Stephanie Weiner of Freedom Road Socialist Organization moderated.
Socialist Scholars Conference 1992
Sam Anderson, New School for Social Research, Abdul Alkalimat, Barbara Omalade, Center for Worker Education, Bill Sales, Gerald Horne, Horace Campbell, Jimmy Garrett, Muhammad Ahmad, Ron Bailey, Jim Turner and Mack Jones were speakers on the Curriculum of Inclusion or... Curriculum of Struggle? panel sponsored by the Antiracist Curriculum Collaborative and the Network of Black Organizations at the Tenth Annual Socialist Scholars Conference. The conference was held April 24-26, 1992 at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York City
cy.Rev: A Journal of Cybernetic Revolution, Sustainable Socialism and Radical Democracy.
- Editorial Board (in formation, 1996): Abdul Alkalimat, Stanley Aronowitz, Rhon Baiman, Carl Davidson, Jim Davis, Ivan Handler, Jerry Harris, Jilliane Smith, Selena Sol, Mike Stack, John Trinkl, Sue Van Hattem.
- Managing Editor: Carl Davidson.
- Production Group: Brodie Dollinger, Jerry Harris, Anita Malinski and Paul Shafer.
Black Radical Congress
In 1996, five veteran activists and scholars - Abdul Alkalimat, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Manning Marable, Leith Mullings, and Barbara Ransby - initiated a round of discussions among themselves regarding the political and social state of affairs facing African Americans and other oppressed communities in the United States. Though the five brought different experiences and political frameworks to these talks, they all located themselves within the broad school of black radicalism. Those discussions would soon port to a larger pool of activists who agreed that not only did a crisis exist, but black radicals also had a responsibility to do something about it.
The Black Activist
Black Left Unity December 2013
Group portrait at the conclusion of the December 21, 2013 Black Left Unity Network meeting. Seated, left to right: Ajamu Dillahunt, Saladin Muhammad, Abdul Alkalimat, Ashaki Binta, Kathy Knight. Standing, left to right: Roger Newell, J. R. Fleming, T. Menelik Van Der Meer, Dennis Orton, Kia Van Der Meer, Sam Anderson, Shafeah M'Balia, Rose Brewer, Anthony Monteiro, Toussaint Losier, Rukiya Dillahunt, Taliba Obu, Jonathan Stith, Carl Redwood, Tdka Kilimanjaro, Jamal Oliver, Akinjele Umoja.
- Letter to all persons who attended the Angola Support Conference, July 8, 1976
- Second Annual Socialist Scholars Conference program.
- SSE Tenth Annual Conference Program, 1992
- [cy.Rev #4: A Journal of Cybernetic Revolution, Sustainable Socialism and Radical Democracy]
- From Crisis to Congress: Assessing the Black Radical Congress, Clarence Lusane; Social Justice, Vol. 25, 1998
- BRC Today Vol 1,Issue 4 p 11
- [Summer 2013 | The Black Activist | Issue 1]