Chris Lowe... has worked as a professor of African and African American history, as a professional editor, and as a researcher for non-profits and trade unions. He conducted Ph.D. research in the 1980s and 1990s in Swaziland in southern Africa on Swazi politics in the colonial era. Organizing focuses have included the anti-apartheid movement, the Labor Party, anti-war organizing, and advocacy for public health and for universal publicly funded health care. Chris is active with Health Care for All Oregon, and serves on the board of Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility, in addition to his JwJ work.
Officials Portland Tenants United
2019 officials of Portland Tenants United,
- Co-chairs Anthony Bencivengo, Margot Black.
- Secretary Sammy Black
- Treasurer Ethan Harrison
- DTO chair Marianne Harper
- OAC chair Tabby Keefer
- Comms chair Mary Anne Funk
- Membership chair Lee-Nora Isaak
- At large Dom Belcastro, Shamus Cooke, Lauren Everett, Jake Henceroth, Allen Hines, Paige Kreisman, Chris Lowe, Alli Sayre, Leeor Schweitzer, Tamberlee Tarver, Evan Wellington
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Chris Lowe signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
Portland JwJ Executive Board
- Co-Chair - Laurie King, PhD
- Co-Chair - Romeo Sosa, VOZ Workers Rights Education Project
- Co-Chair - Ibrahim Bilal Mubarak, Right to Survive / Right 2 Dream Too
- Co-ChairNew - Grant Swanson, AFSCME Local 88
- Finance - Dave Cutler, SEIU 49
- Fundraising - Joel Spector
- Membership - Fernando Gapasin, PhD, UAW (retired)
- Global Justice - Allen Hines, Portland Central America Solidarity Committee
- Faith Labor Committee - Violeta Rubiani, Northwest Workers Justice Project
- Health Care Committee & Acting Rules Committee - Chris Lowe, PhD
- Immigrant Rights Committee & Acting Secretary - Peter Parks
- Portland Rising - Martin Hart-Landsberg, PhD
- Outreach - Amanda Hill, OFNHP-AFT
- Media - Justin Norton-Kertson
- Personnel Will Layng, SEIU 49
Democratic Socialists of America Unity
Portland DSA Facebook group
Members of Portland Democratic Socialists of America public Facebook page, as of March 2017 included Chris Lowe.
Portland Democratic Socialists of America, May 2, 2017.