Chicago Communist Party banquet
According to the Peoples Weekly World October 3 1998, Congressman Danny K. Davis interrupted his campaign work for United States Senate candidate Carol Moseley Braun and gubernatorial candidate Glenn Poshard to present an award at the 1998 Chicago Peoples Weekly World banquet. Davis praised Communist Party USA member and Hani-Lozano Award winner Harry Gaynor's "active role in tearing city's segregated walls and working for peace".
- John Randolph, actor
- Johnnie Jackson, Chicago Coalition of Labor Union Women and also an Hani-Lozano Award winner
- Lupe Lozano
- Alma Washington, event chair, Actors Equity member
- Scott Marshall, Illinois Communist Party organizer
- Tim Yeager, lead the singing
- Alyssa Coiley, Young Communist League
This event raised $10,000 towards keeping the Communist Party paper afloat..
- Peoples Weekly World, "Chicago Banquet Nets $10,000 for 'World'", p. 3, with photo of Davis, Harry Gaynor, John Randolph - id. CPUSA, Alma Washington, Lupe Lozano, widow of murdered radical Rudy Lozano and whose son is a member of the CPUSA; Johnnie Johnson, former president of Chicago CLUW CLUW (a woman), and Scott Marshall, Illinois District organizer fo the CPUSA.