It was in Denver that Norman Hodgett met and began working with Howard Wallace, then a young civil rights activist who Norman credited with teaching him the ropes when it came to civil rights struggles.
Wallace fought for the rights of minorities in Colorado and went on to become an iconic figure in the struggle for LGBT rights, forging the alliances between the gay rights movement and the labor movement that would eventually see the formation of Pride at Work, the LGBT constituency group in the AFL-CIO.
CoC National Conference Endorser
In 1992 Howard Wallace, SEIU, San Francisco, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Standing Together - Labor Standing together and showing support. How to respond to racism, sexism and anti-immigrant prejudice and other divisions within the labor movement? How to build labor solidarity and links with nationally oppressed communities?
- Lenore Colbert, vice president of occupational safety, Local 1199, NY
- Joan Levenson Cohen, past president, NYCoalition of Labor Union Women, UFT, NY
- Rafael Pizzaro, organizer, Local 1199, NY
- Howard Wallace, field rep., SEIU Local 250, SF
US Labor Against the War
United for Peace and Justice Affiliation
Howard Wallace, founder of Pride at Work, addressed the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism 5th National Convention, July 21-23, 2006.
On the relationship between class, race, and gender.
- Norman Hodgett, 82: Fighter for peace, economic justice, and equality by: JOHN WOJCIK august 13 2014
- CCDS Background
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- CCDS 5th Conference agenda