Kensington Welfare Rights Union
Pro Democracy Convention
The Pro Democracy Convention was held June 29th To July 1, 2001. It started with a National Town Hall Meeting, Annenberg Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Come to a National Town Hall Meeting! Hear speakers representing a wide range of communities, including academics, labor leaders,
lawyers, organizers, and elected officials, speak out about Election 2000, recommendations for electoral reform, and how we all can build the movement to expand democracy in the U.S. Partial List of Invited Speakers and Presenters:
- John B. Anderson, Center for Voting & Democracy
- Melanie Campbell, National Coalition for Black Civic Participation
- Linda Chavez-Thompson, AFL-CIO
- Representative John Conyers (Michigan)
- Ron Daniels, Center for Constitutional Rights
- Representative Chaka Fattah (Pennsylvania)
- Margaret Fung, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Ted Glick, Independent Progressive Politics Network
- Lani Guinier, Harvard University
- Cheri Honkala, Kensington Welfare Rights Union
- Reverend Jesse Jackson, Rainbow-PUSH Coalition
- Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, Texas
- Representative James Leach (Iowa)
- William Lucy, Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
- Henry Nicholas, National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees - District 1199C
- Reverend Al Sharpton, National Action Network
- Hillary Shelton, NAACP
- Nadine Smith, Equality Florida
- Representative Nydia Velazquez (New York)
ANSWER "Rally Against War and Racism"
April 20, 2002 International A.N.S.W.E.R. Rally Activists representing various groups met on the Ellipse in Washington, DC to voice their support for a Palestinian state, criticize the Bush administration for its support of Prime Minister Sharon’s government in Israel, advocate a stop to racial profiling, and protest the treatment of Muslims at home and abroad.
The event was coordinated by the organization Act Now to Stop War and End Racism.
Speakers included Larry Adams - Labor Against the War, Pam Africa Activist International Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal, Sami al-Arian Professor University of South Florida (Tampa, FL)->Computer Science, Tariq Ali Author, Luis Alvarez Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques, Nihad Awad Co-Founder and Exec. Dir. Council on American-Islamic Relations, Brian Becker, Co-Director International Action Center, Vernon Bellecourt Director (Former) American Indian Movement, Mahdi Bray Director Muslim Public Affairs Council->Communications, Helen Caldicott M.D. Founder Physicians for Social Responsibility, Illel Cohen Activist, , Tarek Elgawhay Spokesperson Muslim Student Association Shaker Elsayed, Secretary-General Muslim American Society, Sara Flounders Spokesperson Iraq Sanctions Challenge, Jane Franklin Author, Teresa Gutierrez Co-Director International Action Center, Graylan Hagler Minister Plymouth Congregational Church of Christ (Washington, DC), Cheri Honkala, Founder and Executive Director Kensington Welfare Rights Union, Rafik Jaber President National Islamic Association for Palestine, Teresita Jacinto Member Committee for Indigenous Solidarity, Randa Jamal Member Palestine Right to Return Coalition, Amer Jubran Activist, Sala Kahn, Activist Magdy Mahmoud, President , Metropolitan Muslim Federation->New York, New Jersey, Carl Messner Co-Founder, Partnership for Civil Justice, Riya Ortiz, Representative Asha Samad-Matias Spokesperson Muslims Against Racism, Grace Trevettn Activist.
US Social Forum National Planning Committee
Our Revolution support
- Democratic Left, Fall 2000
- [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/internetdemocrats1/message/4715, internetdemocrats1 · Internet Democrats1, National Town Hall Meeting Posted By: impeach_bush@...Mon Jun 4, 2001]
- 20, 2002 International A.N.S.W.E.R. CSPAN Rally Activists representing various groups met on the Ellipse in Washington, DC to voice their support for a Palestinian