- 1 New American Movement 10th convention
- 2 Texas DSA State Meeting
- 3 DSA Feminist Commission
- 4 Black Radical Congress
- 5 “Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century”
- 6 Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- 7 Black Commentator
- 8 The Black Activist
- 9 Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout
- 10 Left Forum 2010
- 11 Left Forum 2011
- 12 Online University of the Left
- 13 Black Left Unity December 2013
- 14 The Movement for Black Lives
- 15 References
Rose M. Brewer writes and teaches in the African American and African Studies Department on the Twin Cities campus, University of Minnesota. She is a long time activist scholar. She is the Morse Alumni Distinguished Professor of African American Studies at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities. She writes extensively on radical Black feminism, political economy, social movements and the Black Liberations Movement, publishing over 60 articles, book chapters and essays. her co-authored, The Color of Wealth received the Gustavus Meyer national book award in 2006 and she is one of the editors of the The United States Social Forum: Perspectives of a Movement, 2010. In 2012, she was an organizer of the Black Environmental Thought II conference at the University of Minnesota. Her deep commitment to ending racism, national oppression, sexism, imperialism, and economic exploitation in the U.S. and globally took root in Black student activism and local community struggles for social change. The struggle for her continues to be about fundamental social transformation. She is a core organizer of the United States Social Forum, a 2015 polycentric forum.
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Glenn Scott, Chair, Anti-racism Committee; Rose Brewer; Brenda Eichelberger, National Alliance of Black Feminists and Bob Niemann, LA NAM spoke on a mini-plenary entitled Racism and Reaganism at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
Texas DSA State Meeting
A Texas Democratic Socialists of America State Meeting "Priorities for 1984 and Beyond" July 9 was held Education Building, Akiva Room.
- Rhonda Williams, Prof Economics UT Austin
- Timothy Sears, Bricklayers Union Houston
- Janice Heine, AFSC Texas/OK
- Larry Smith, College of the Mainland, Galveston
- Diana Osborne, Houston Organizing Project
- Ben Levy, Circuit Judge Houston
- Glenn Scott, DSA National Executive
- Norm Glickman, LBJ School UT Austin
- Rose Brewer, Sociology UT Austin
- Linn Rodriguez, CISPES
DSA Feminist Commission
Black Radical Congress
“Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century”
10th Anniversary Meeting of the Black Radical Congress, “Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century” Black Radical Congress, June 20-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri.
Endorsers for the Congress included Rose Brewer Scholar/activist-University of Minnesota.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Rose Brewer, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
The Black Activist
Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout
Circa September 19, 2009, Rose Brewer signed a petition initiated by the Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout entitled, Petition to Demand a People's Bailout which includes the statement, "Tax the rich, make them pay for their crisis!"
Left Forum 2010
The US Social Forum and US Social Movements: The Road from Atlanta to Detroit 2010:
- Walda Katz-Fishman, (Chair), Sociology and Anthropology, Howard University; US Social Forum; Board Chair, Project South
- Jerome Scott, League of Revolutionaries for a New America; USSF National Planning Committee
- Rose Brewer, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; USSF Gender Justice Working Group
- Harmony Goldberg, New York Study Group; Graduate Center of the CUNY
Left Forum 2011
- Cindy Wiesner, Grassroots Global Justice Alliance
- Helena Wong, CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities
- Jerome Scott, League of Revolutionaries for a New America; National Planning Committee of the U.S. Social Forum
- Rose Brewer, Black Left Unity Network, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; USSF Gender Justice Working Group
Online University of the Left
The Online University of the Left, a new `Left Unity’ project, was initiated by the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism in 2012. It’s core orientation is Marxist, but it contains teaching resources reflecting the full range of views on the wider left. About 50 left academics are involved in the core group so far-Richard Wolff, David Schweickart, Rose Brewer, Timothy Johnson, Gregory Morales, Bill Tabb, Ellen Schwartz, Jerry Harris, Linda Alcoff, Dana Cloud, Gar Alperovitz, to name a few.
One of the OUL’s key aims is to solve this problem of scattered resources, creating a web portal that will bring much of this valuable material together in one spot in cyberspace.
Black Left Unity December 2013
Group portrait at the conclusion of the December 21, 2013 Black Left Unity Network meeting. Seated, left to right: Ajamu Dillahunt, Saladin Muhammad, Abdul Alkalimat, Ashaki Binta, Kathy Knight. Standing, left to right: Roger Newell, J. R. Fleming, T. Menelik Van Der Meer, Dennis Orton, Kia Van Der Meer, Sam Anderson, Shafeah M'Balia, Rose Brewer, Anthony Monteiro, Toussaint Losier, Rukiya Dillahunt, Taliba Obu, Jonathan Stith, Carl Redwood, Tdka Kilimanjaro, Jamal Oliver, Akinjele Umoja.
The Movement for Black Lives
- Black Radical Women and Revolutionary Movement Building: Critical Insights and Actions, Rose Brewer.
- Freedom Summit 2014 speakers list
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- DSA Feminist Commission Directory, 1985
- 1986 DSA Feminist Commission Directory
- BRC Today Vol 1,Issue 4 p 11
- Info Exchange, 10th Anniversary Meeting of the Black Radical Congress, June 20-22, 2008
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- [Summer 2013 | The Black Activist | Issue 1]
- MN Coalition for a People's Bailout website: Petition, circa Sept. 19, 2009 (accessed on Oct. 5, 2010)
- CCDS discussion page, accessed July 8, 2012
- [ http://movementforblacklives.org/schedule/speakers/Movement for Black Lives conference program, accessed November 20, 2015]