Brave New Films
Brave New Films (Originally Brave New Foundation) promotes social justice through film and social media.
They describe themselves as "non-partisan, non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization that carries out the Brave New Films mission by creating and distributing educational films. Brave New Films Action Fund is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization that conducts legislative activity necessary to carry out the mission of the Brave New Films family. Neither of the Brave New Films organizations makes contributions to or expressly advocates for the election or defeat of candidates for public office."
Their 2016 990 form shows the non-profit to have over 4 million in assets.
Brave New Films was founded by Robert Greenwald in 2005.
April 2016 Democracy Alliance meeting
April 2016 Some of the biggest donors on the left huddled behind closed doors with liberal politicians including Nancy Pelosi to strategize about electing Democrats and confirming Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland, but they also discussed ways to use Hollywood to advance their causes.
The occasion was the annual spring investment conference of the Democracy Alliance, which officially kicks off at the tony Fairmont Hotel in Santa Monica, California.
On Wednesday, interested donors were taken to the headquarters of a non-profit production studio called Brave New Films for a discussion with actor Martin Sheen about “why this is an important moment for advocacy in media.”
The agenda introduced the session by noting that “This year, #OscarsSoWhite trended on social media and once again diversity in media became a focus of discussion across the country.”
#OscarsSoWhite is an online movement protesting the absence of nominees of color for the highest-profile Academy Award categories over the last two years, but it doesn’t appear to have any formal institutional backing.
The Democracy Alliance agenda, though, suggests that Brave New Films is uniquely positioned to address the issues raised by the movement.
“Brave New Films has long been a leader in diversity in their social justice media and this year started a Diversity Fellowship program with the help of the Atlantic Foundation,” says the agenda, referring to a $2.5 million grant from The Atlantic Philanthropies. The grant is intended to help train “racially diverse individuals from marginalized communities, who have traditionally been underrepresented in media and progressive organizations,” according to The Atlantic Philanthropies.
But the grant doesn’t fully fund the program, and Brave New Films would welcome donations from Democracy Alliance donors, said Robert Greenwald, the founder and president of Brave New Films. His group is equal parts political organization and film studio, producing documentaries and videos meant to serve as rallying points for campaigns against liberal bete noires ranging from Fox News to Walmart to the Koch brothers.
And Greenwald said the diversity fellowship is about much more than Hollywood. “It trains people who can go out and use their talents on everything from the news media to Silicon Valley to NGOs to unions to political campaigns. There is a huge large world that will benefit from having a more diverse work force. Hollywood is a piece of it, but it’s only a small part of a much larger world that we are training people for.”
On January 26 2018, Brand New Films sent out a mass email asking for funds for their next anti-Trump film. From the mailing:
- "Did you know that for just $10 you can support the production of our next Trump piece?
- "Seven million people watched 16 Women and Donald Trump and ignited a firestorm that brought Trump’s sexual misconduct back into the mainstream media. Now we are working on a new series of short videos to continue this work.
- "Will you donate $10 right now so we can continue production on this critical series? With every donation, big or small, you will be supporting breakthrough content.
- "Among the most egregious of Trump's actions are the policies he is putting in place to make himself, his family, and his friends richer. From his attacks on clean energy to his wall we need resources to continue to tell these stories and shine a light on these unfair practices.
- "Donate $10 today to keep production running on our Trump series."
Brave New Educators
Brave New Films offers their films free of charge to educators: The following films are offered:
- Immigrant Prisons
- Home is a Human Right: A Series on Immigration
- Racial Justice Series
- The Bail Trap: American Ransom
- Making A Killing: Guns, Greed, and the NRA
- Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price
- Unmanned: America's Drone Wars
- To Prison for Poverty
- War on Whistleblowers
- Koch Brothers Exposed
- Guns in America
- Restorative Justice Series
- National Security
- This is Crazy
- Preying on Puerto Rico
- Economic Inequality
- Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism
Brave New Films describes the following organizations as "friends":
- Advancement Project
- America Votes
- American Family Voices
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
- Amnesty International
- Arizona Inter-Tribal Veterans Association
- Business Leaders for Sensible Priorities
- California Council of Churches/California Church IMPACT
- Campaign for America’s Future
- Campus Progress
- Center for Corporate Policy
- Center for Media and Democracy
- Center for Progressive Leadership
- Center for Social Inclusion
- Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW)
- Coalition Against Militarism in Our Schools
- Corp Watch
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- Creative America Project
- Democracy Cell Project
- Democracy for America (DFA)
- Displaced Films
- Drinking Liberally
- Drum Major Institute
- Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- Episcopal Peace and Justice Ministries
- Equality California
- Faithful America
- Faith in Public Life
- Faith Voices for the Common Good
- Feminist Majority
- Free Press
- Free Speech TV
- GI Special
- Global Exchange
- Gold Star Families For Peace
- Gold Star Families Speak Out
- Gold Star Wives of America
- Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center
- Human Rights First
- Human Rights Watch
- Institute for Policy Studies (IPS)
- Institute on Race and Poverty
- Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility (ICCR)
- Iraq Veterans Against the War
- Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity
- Log Cabin Republicans
- Media Matters
- Methodist Federation for Social Action
- Metropolitan Community Churches
- Military Families Speak Out
- Mississippi ACLU
- Mocha Moms
- Mother’s Day Radio
- Moving Forward Gulf Coast
- Ms. Magazine
- National Alliance to Restore Opportunity to the Gulf Coast & Displaced Persons
- National Association of Latino Independent Producers
- National Council of Churches
- National Organization for Women (NOW)
- No More Victims
- Operation Soldier Assist
- Oxfam America
- Peace Economy Project
- People for the American Way
- Plenty International
- Progressive Christians Uniting
- Progressive Democrats of America
- Progressive Jewish Alliance
- Progressive Majority
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
- Shalom Center
- Small Business Majority
- Social Investment Forum
- Social Venture Network
- Soldiers’ Angels
- Soldiers’ of Today and Yesterday
- Stonewall Democrats
- Swing the State
- The 270 View
- The Common Good
- The Nation
- True Majority
- Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations
- Unitarian Universalist Ministers’ Association
- United Church of Christ
- United for Peace and Justice
- United Spouses Association
- Veterans for America
- Veterans for Peace
- Voters for Peace
- War Relief Kids
- War Resisters League
- Win Without War
- Women’s Action for New Directions
- Working Assets
- Working Families Party
- World Can’t Wait
- World Policy Institute
- Young Democrats of America (YDA)
- Young People For
- Young Progressive Majority
From the Brave New Films website:
- "Our mission is to champion social justice issues by using a model of media, education, and grassroots volunteer involvement that inspires, empowers, motivates and teaches civic participation and makes a difference.
- "Robert Greenwald and Brave New Films are creating a better America, and we want you to join us. Using media, films, volunteers and internet video campaigns, Brave New Films has created a quick-strike capability that informs the public, challenges mainstream media with the truth, and motivates people to take action on social issues nationwide.
- "From exposing the private prison crisis to helping middle class and poor workers to understanding where your tax dollars are going, our groundbreaking social media campaigns have revolutionized activism. We are reaching millions through YouTube, bloggers, networking sites, and strategic partnerships — and we’re getting results.
- "You are critical to advancing these hard-hitting campaigns. We can't create a socially conscious nation alone."
Racism Isn't Over- Fight Back
Brave New Films posted a movie and a pledge against "white privilege":
- "I acknowledge that racism is an everyday reality, that white privilege exists, and that it is my duty to make the United States a more just and equitable place in my lifetime!
- "Something is wrong when thousands of resumes are mailed to employers with identical information and black-sounding names are 50% less likely to get a call back. Something is wrong when black people are charged prices roughly $700 higher than white people when buying cars. Something is wrong when black drivers are twice as likely to get pulled over by the police and black male teens are 21 times more likely to be killed by cops than their white counterparts. Something is wrong when black people are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of white people.
- "And something is terribly wrong if we stand by and continue to let this happen.
- "Let’s work together to open eyes to the brutal reality of racism and make some real change in this country.
In November 2012, Brave New Films sent out an email fundraiser which read in part:
- "In 2012, with your support, we continued to take on the Kochs with our investigation Koch Brothers Exposed, war profiteers have no place to hide with the launch of War Costs, and the Latino electorate was empowered through the work of Cuéntame. You have been a pivotal part of the success of these campaigns. Will you consider sharing this important work with others this holiday season?
- "Since 2005, we've been fighting for a more just America with such films as Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism and Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. Have you seen them all? Do you know a passionate activist that would love our work? We have our first five years of videos compiled into one big box set including the ones mentioned above PLUS Iraq for Sale, Rethink Afghanistan and hundreds of shorts. And you get the full length doc Koch Brothers Exposed. This is the perfect gift for a like-minded friend or family member this holiday season!
- "Share the work you have made possible by sending a friend our Activist DVD Gift Package.
- "Want to know the best part? By getting these DVD’s, you’re helping us in continuing to expose injustice – and keeping our work available for free online. We are gearing up to expose mass incarceration with our Beyond Bars project and continuing the War Costs work with films on Drones and Whistleblowers. Your donation will help support this work directly.
Cited by MoveOn.org
A Brave New Films movie was cited in an email blast by MoveOn.org's Noah T. Winer in October 2009. The email asked readers to sign a petition that they will not watch Fox News. The email cited Brave New Films "Outfoxed: Fox News technique: cut their mic!" released on May 11, 2007:
- ""Democrats often appear on FOX in hopes of reaching out to conservative viewers. But FOX cuts off their mic, distorts what they say, or runs biased headlines at the bottom of the screen.4 In the end, Democrats always lose on FOX."
- Brave New Films, accessed 12-11-2017
- GuideStar 990 Form for Brave New Films, accessed 12-11-2017
- Politico, Donors seek to harness Hollywood to boost liberal causes By KENNETH P. VOGEL 04/09/2016
- Brave New Educators Program, accessed 12-11-2017
- Friends accessed 12-11-2017
- Racism, accessed 12-11-2017
- MoveOn.org Asks Democrats To Stay Off Fox News, accessed 12-11-2017
- accessed 12-11-2017
- Board, accessed 12-11-2017
- Staff, accessed 12-11-2017