Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement
STORM - (Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement) was a Bay Area, Maoist leaning revolutionary group active from approximately 1995 to 2002.
STORM members and associates
Known STORM members and associates include;
- Ilana Berger - associate
- Adam Gold - member
- Harmony Goldberg - member
- Jo Hirschman - associate
- Van Jones - member
- Raquel Lavina - member
- Jason Negron-Gonzales - member
- Maria Poblet - member
- Lateefah Simon - associate
- Cindy Wiesner - member
- Mei-ying Williams - associate
- Steve Williams - member
Three STORM leaders also traveled to South Africa in 1998 for the South African Communist Party conference.
- One of the most formative "political education sessions" of this period was a group trip to Cuba in the summer of 1999.
- Several STORM members participated in the Venceremos Brigade to see and support one of the world's few surviving socialist states.
- Members came back with a heightened understanding of both socialism and capitalism and a stronger commitment to red politics.
"Reclaiming Revolution: History, Summation, and Lessons from the Work of Standing Together to Organize a Revolutionary Movement" written and endorsed by a majority of former STORM members makes it clear that most former STORM members are still committed to the revolutionary movement;
From page 49.
- When the last sixteen STORM members decided to dissolve, each committed as an individual revolutionary to helping this emerging trend continue to consolidate.
- Some are building organizations in working class communities of color...Some are promoting revolutionary ideas. Some are developing revolutionary cadre...
- Some are finding other ways to serve the people.