- Studied Social Work at Georgia State University
- Studied Interdisciplinary Studies at Emory University
- Studied Poly Sci at Georgia Perimeter College
- Went to North Atlanta High School
- Grassroots Organizer at RESULTS
- Leader at Global Paradigm Shift
- Volunteer Group Leader at RESULTS
- Former Comrade at Occupy Atlanta
23 Arrested over Bill to Repeal “Stand Your Ground”
In February 2014, for its fourth week of action, Moral Monday Georgia continued to tackle the issue of the state government’s enabling gun violence through the “Stand Your Ground” law and new legislation nicknamed the “carry anywhere” bill, HB 875, which allows concealed weapons in churches and bars, and minimizes fines for carrying on campuses. LOB Feb10
A Feb. 5 committee hearing on Sen. Vincent Fort’s bill to repeal Stand Your Ground was adjourned by Chairman Jesse Stone before any of the many supporters present (except for one expert witness) could testify. In response, 23 Moral Monday protesters accepted arrest on Feb. 10 for refusing to leave Senator Stone’s office, demanding that the hearing on SB 280 be continued so the public could be heard.
Six Democratic Socialists of America members were among those arrested: Greg Ames, Lorraine Fontana, Timothy Franzen, Daniel Hanley, Misty Novitch, and Roger Sikes. Others arrested included Rev. Timothy McDonald, Joe Beasley, Shawn Adelman, Ron Allen, Mary Britting, Britney Grey, Tabatha Holley, Darien Jones, Keiota Jones, La’die Mansfield, Peggy Marx, Jean Miller, Ronnie Mosley, Adam Quick, Reynaldo Roberts, Jacqueline Rodriguez and Heshimu J.D. Sparks.
The bail fund, was organized through the Georgia Civil Disobedience Support Fund. This fund is facilitated by representatives from the Atlanta Economic Justice Program of the AFSC, Atlanta Jobs with Justice, and Metro Atlanta Democratic Socialists of America.
Misty Novitch May 24, 2016;
- Decatur folks! Don't forget to vote in the local primary for my good friend and activist colleague Renitta Shannon against the do-nothin' DINO Rahn Mayo today by 7pm! Power to the People!
Fight for $15
- [Metro Atlanta DSA website, Feb, 2012, MMGA, Feb. 10: 23 Arrested Demanding “Full and Fair Hearing” on Bill to Repeal “Stand Your Ground”]