Danny Glover is an actor and "progressive" activist.
World Social Forum
Not In Our Name
In August 2004 Danny Glover an actor endorsed an anti “Bush Team” Protest at the Republican National Convention in New York, organized by Not In Our Name, an organization closely associated with the Revolutionary Communist Party.
Meeting with Hugo Chavez
Speaking at the ILWU
Glover spoke at the 2006 Convention of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union. During his speech, he stated:
- "It doesn’t take a rocket scientist—it really doesn’t — to figure this out. We can talk about all kinds of statistics and strategies around profit, about all the theories around markets. But there is something in that discussion that cannot be reduced, that cannot be ignored. What cannot be reduced is those who don’t care about what happens to human beings, what happens to children, what happens to those who work all their lives and who then retire. We cannot be reduced to forgetting about that. No matter what the market strategies, whatever the market theories, whatever the current economic theories are, we cannot be reduced to believing that all of this is natural science. This is not natural science. This is about what human beings do and how human beings transform themselves or not transform themselves, how human beings themselves act and decide what is important. If life and the preservation of life is important, then that is what we have to elevate. Not the preservation of profits, not the preservation of evil-spiritedness, not the preservation of inhumanity. We have to hold on to the preservation of people. And unions do that. Unions talk about the people and they do that."
Progressives for Obama
Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
Manufacturing workers support tour
In late May, 2009, actor Danny Glover joined labor, political and civil-rights leaders on one of the first stops of a four-day, 11-state tour supporting U.S. manufacturing workers.
The 'Lethal Weapon' star told a crowd of mainly union workers Monday in the Detroit suburb of Hamtramck the 'deindustrialization of the nation' began in Michigan, and its workers can be 'the architects of their own rescue.'
Glover, the son of union members, said he stands with those affected by plant closings.
The Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee held its 50th anniversary conference at Shaw University here, April 15-18, 2010.
At its founding here on April 17, 1960, the now-legendary civil rights organization adopted its first formal program. Life long Communist Party USA activist Debbie Bell was a founding member, serving alongside Julian Bond, Harry Belafonte, John Lewis (now a member of Congress from Georgia), Freedom Singer and Sweet Honey in the Rock founder Bernice Johnson Reagon, the Revs. David Forbes and James Lawson, Joyce Ladner and Dick Gregory.
- Glover and Holder were too young to be part of SNCC, but both emphasized that they would not be where they are today without SNCC and its heroic struggle for African American liberation.
- Danny Glover also talked about the system of capital and pointed out that SNCC and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, led by Dr. Martin Luther King, met their stiffest resistance from the establishment when they "dared to challenge the very basis of capitalism, money."
"Free the Cuban 5"
From an April 8,2011 letter.
"Dear President Carter:
We, Actors and Artists United for the Freedom of the Cuban 5, want to extend our deepest gratitude for your recent visit to Cuba, as well as our support for your statements promoting improved relations between our countries.
Your call for the release of Gerardo Hernandez Nordelo, Antonio Guerrero Rodriguez, Fernando Gonzalez Llort, Ramon Labanino Salazar, and Rene Gonzalez Sehwerert, known as the Cuban 5, and your willingness to visit with their family members in Cuba mean a great deal to all involved. We strongly agree that there is no reason to keep these men, who were simply trying to protect their country from terrorism, imprisoned any longer...
Further, we enthusiastically support you in having subsequent discussions with President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and hope you will call for urgent action on their part to make right this unjust situation.
Again, we thank you and look forward to the possibility of improved relations and future visits to Cuba.
Ed Asner, Co-Chair , Danny Glover, Co-Chair, Jackson Browne , James Cromwell, Mike Farrell, Richard Foos, Elliott Gould, Chrissie Hand , Francisco Letelier, Esai Morales, Graham Nash , Bonnie Raitt, Susan Sarandon, Pete Seeger, Martin Sheen , Betty Sheinbaum, Stanley Sheinbaum, Andy Spahn, Oliver Stone ,Haskell Wexler
- ↑ World Social Forum website: Programme of Testimonies, Jan. 23, 2003 (accessed on Nov. 10, 2010)
- ↑ http://www.revcom.us/a/1247/rnc_protest_nion_call.htm
- ↑ ILWU website: 2006 Convention - Speakers
- ↑ Signers of Campaign to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, Now
- ↑ PW, Danny Glover joins tour supporting union manufacturing workers, May 22, 2009
- ↑ http://peoplesworld.org/sncc-50th-anniversary-meet-mixes-nostalgia-and-determination/
- ↑ [http://mltoday.com/subject-areas/cuba/letter-from-san-antonio-activists-supporting-the-cuban-5-1231.html, Marxism-Leninism Today, Letter from San Antonio Activists Supporting the Cuban 5 PDF Print E-mail Oct. 2, 2011]