- 1 Early Life and Family
- 2 We've Carried The Rich For 240 Years! Let's Get Them Off Our Backs!
- 3 FRSO member
- 4 Forward Motion
- 5 AFSCME
- 6 Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout
- 7 September 24, 2010 FBI Raids
- 8 FBI raids
- 9 US Social Forum
- 10 Anti-Trump
- 11 Make the country "ungovernable"
- 12 References
Steff (Stefanie) "Stef" Yorek is a leading member of the Freedom Road Socialist Organization/Freedom Road Socialist Organization/FightBack! for nearly 20 years. She has been active in the movements for peace and justice since she became involved in protests against the Persian Gulf War in 1991, as a student.
She is the wife of Jess Sundin.
Early Life and Family
We've Carried The Rich For 240 Years! Let's Get Them Off Our Backs!
We've Carried The Rich For 240 Years! Let's Get Them Off Our Backs! is the name of a 2016 Facebook group for folk to exchange views and memories of the Revolutionary Union/Revolutionary Communist Party/Revolutionary Workers Headquarters lineage of the '70s New Communist Movement.
- This group is for folks who were members of these groups or those who were “never actually in the RCP but I knew a lot of people who were.” Scholars, whether rigorous or casual, of the US left are also welcome.''
Members included Steff Yorek
Yorek has been active in the anti-war movement and in the union movement since her student years, including helping to reorganize American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 1164 at the University of Minnesota Hospital after it was privatized. She has held the positions of Secretary and Union Steward with AFSCME Local 3800 at the University of Minnesota.
Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout
Circa September 19, 2009, Steff Yorek, AFSCME 3800, Minneapolis, MN signed a petition initiated by the Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout entitled, Petition to Demand a People's Bailout which includes the statement, "Tax the rich, make them pay for their crisis!"
September 24, 2010 FBI Raids
On September 24 the F.B.I. raided the homes of twelve leftist activists across the U.S.A. looking for links to foreign terrorist organizations. Steff Yorek was one of those whose home was raided and who is being investigated by the FBI.
The material that the FBI copied and returned comes from the homes of Twin Cities activists Jess Sundin, Steff Yorek, Mick Kelly, Meredith Aby, Anh Pham and Tracy Molm and the office of the Anti-War Committee. All of them are among the 23 anti-war and international solidarity activists summoned to appear in front of a Chicago grand jury headed by U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, investigating ‘material support for terrorism.’
US Social Forum
Freedom Road Socialist Organization/FightBack! table at the US Social Forum - Another World is Possible in San Jose, California. — with Masao Suzuki, Chrisley Carpio, Jared Tony Hamil, Steff Yorek and Gregory Lucero.
In the aftermath of the dramatic 5000-person protest that caused Trump to cancel his March 11 campaign appearance on the campus of the University of Illinois, Steff Yorek, the political secretary of Freedom Road Socialist Organization/FightBack!, urged progressive activists around the U.S. to follow Chicago’s example.
“We need two, three, many Chicagos,” said Yorek. “Trump is an open advocate of racism and national chauvinism. Forcing Trump to chicken out of his Chicago campaign appearance was a real victory. Chicago protesters of all nationalities sent a message to the world, that here in the U.S. there is widespread and militant opposition to his reactionary agenda.”
Make the country "ungovernable"
Speaking to a protesters assembled in Columbus Circle, Jan. 20, 2017, the Freedom Road Socialist Organization/FightBack! Political Secretary Steff Yorek said, “We need to stay in the streets the entire four years opposing Trump and making the country ungovernable.”
- Committee to Stop FBI Repression: Who are the targets of the FBI and Grand Jury Witch Hunt? (accessed on Nov. 23, 2010)
- MN Coalition for a People's Bailout website: Petition, circa Sept. 19, 2009 (accessed on Oct. 5, 2010)
- [http://www.fightbacknews.org/2011/11/2/fbi-copies-50000-plus-pages-materials-seized-raids-minneapolis-peace-and-international-sol FBNews, FBI copies 50,000-plus pages of materials seized in raids on Minneapolis peace and international solidarity activists – now they give back the originals Serious FBI violation of civil rightsBy staff | November 2, 2011]
- June 27
- FRSO: After Chicago shutdown, keep Trump on the run By staff | March 12, 2016
- FightBack News! FRSO leader tells Washington DC protest to make country ‘ungovernable’ By staff | January 20, 2017