Harris County is by no means the only arena in which TOP and its allies scored convincingly in 2016. East Dallas County, a band of suburbs to the east and south of Dallas, comprises House District 107 in the state legislature. Despite a Latino and African-American majority, Republicans have been carrying the district for years, albeit with narrow margins. This time, however, thanks to an intense registration and organizing drive by Texas Organizing Project and other groups, including labor unions, Victoria Neave, the Democratic candidate, ousted her Republican opponent by 836 votes.
“The interesting thing about that race,” Amber Mostyn told Andrew Cockburn, “is that the Republicans spent around a million dollars. There was no more than three hundred and fifty thousand dollars spent on our side, and no television — the Republicans probably spent half a million dollars on TV. Our campaign was focused on getting folks to turn out, and we knew that a lot of them don’t have time to watch a bunch of TV. They’re working two jobs, they’re not engaged in the political process anyway, so if they see a commercial, it means nothing to them. But Victoria Neave was out talking to people, TOP was out talking to people, labor was out talking to people — it’s the one-on-one engagement that makes the difference.”
PowerPAC+ 2016 Endorsements
- Lucy Flores - U.S. Congress - Nevada-04
- Mary Gonzalez - Texas State Legislature
- Kamala Harris - U.S. Senate, California
- Jane Kim - California State Legislature
- Victoria Neave - Texas State Legislature
- Michael Tubbs - Mayor of Stockton
TOP 2016 endorsements
Texas Organizing Project PAC, November 6, 2016.
Instead of worrying about the outcome of the election, let's act to make sure we elect Hillary Clinton, Ed Gonzalez for Harris County Sheriff, Kim Ogg for Harris County District Attorney, Ann Harris Bennett for Tax Assessor Collector - Voter Registrar, Javier Salazar for Bexar County Sheriff, Pete Gallego for Congress, Victoria Neave for Texas State Representative and Friends for Terry Meza HD 105!
TOP PAC 2018 endorsements
- Judge Elizabeth Frizell for Dallas County District Attorney
- State Representative Victoria Neave (Dist. 107)
- Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins
- Terry Meza for State Representative (Dist. 105)
- Julie Johnson for State Representative (Dist. 115)