"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Michael Kennedy signed the statement.
Hirono staffer Betsy Lin traveled to Havana, Cuba 05/08/14-05/13/14, paid for by the Center for Democracy in the Americas. She met with Cuban officials; attended meetings on U.S-Cuban relations; toured agricultural facilities.
- Liberal Education website: Bill Ayers supporters
- Legistorm. Rep. Mazie Hirono (-Hawaii, 2nd) - Privately Financed Travel
- https://philanthropy.com/article/US-Cuba-Thaw-Is-Making/230573 The Chronicle of Philanthropy , June 04, 2015 U.S.-Cuba Thaw Is Making American Nonprofit Work on the Island Nation Easier By Megan O’Neil]