Down Home North Carolina
Down Home North Carolina is a rural North Carolina socialist organization.
According to Brigid Flaherty.
- Down Home North Carolina is a member-led grassroots organization. We believe in building power for working communities in small-town and rural North Carolina. We actually were formed right after the election. Todd Zimmer and I have been friends and organizers for many years. When we saw the results of the 2016 election, we felt really inspired to do something different and make big changes in our lives, because it felt like the political realities that we were facing required that of us.
- We were looking at the political makeup of North Carolina and what had happened since 2010 and the far-right takeover of the state. Moving into 2016, we watched that happen at the federal level. It felt like the best offense that we were going to have was to make sure that we were building strong local leadership in places in North Carolina that weren’t necessarily the places that had a lot of infrastructure. For us, this felt like a long-term project that needed to happen in order to make sure that working people get what they deserve.
- We said in November that we were going to start Down Home and then actually got off the ground in June this year. We have been around for about six months. Originally, it started out just Todd and me doing the organizing. I moved back to the mountains where my mother lives, and I was actually living with her for the first few months and Todd was organizing in Alamance in the central part of the state. We went door to door using a listening survey. We went with three broad questions: What are the issues that matter most to you and your family? Who or what is responsible for those issues? What are your solutions?
- One of the things we learned from the 2016 election is that a lot of working people don’t feel listened to. The parties have never contacted them. It felt like a lot of people were speaking for them and yet they were like, “Y’all have never come to our door. You have never sat in our living room.”
Down Home North Carolina leaders include;
- Brigid Flaherty is the co-founder and co-director of Down Home North Carolina, and lives in Balsam, North Carolina.
- Juan Miranda is an organizer with Down Home North Carolina, and lives in Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Kischa Pena lives in Nevin, North Carolina, and is a member leader of Down Home North Carolina.
Down Home North Carolina October 28, 2017 ·
Beautiful day, beautiful people out for the Down Home NC community canvas in Alamance County!