Defending the Public, Our Families, and Our Communities
A forum "Defending the Public, Our Families, and Our Communities" was held Saturday, April 9, 2011, Chicago Temple, 77 West Washington, Chicago.
- Join progressive leaders and activists to discuss strategies for defending our rights to earn, learn, and live in dignity. In the wake of the all-out attack against workers' rights and against programs that help our communities, it is more important than ever to come together across movements and push to realize a vision of FDR's "Second Bill of Rights." Panelists will discuss a roadmap to fight back and push for progressive priorities including ending wars and militarism; enhancing workers' rights; and developing economic policies that promote jobs and communities instead of corporate profits.
Opening Remarks: Jesus Garcia Cook County Commissioner, 7th District
- Adrienne Alexander Policy & Legislative Specialist, AFSCME Council 31
- Bill Barclay Chicago Political Economy Group
- Judge William Cousins (ret.) Member of the Board, South Side NAACP
- Bamshad Mobasher United for Peace & Justice, Oak Park Coalition for Truth and Justice
- [ http://www.chicagodsa.org/ngarchive/ng135.html, New ground 135, March -- April, 2011]