Phil Angelides  has made his mark in California and the nation as an effective public leader, as a successful businessman, and as a trailblazing environmental innovator.
Angelides is Chairman of the Canyon Johnson Urban Communities Fund, a partnership of Canyon Capital Realty Advisors and Earvin “Magic” Johnson, focused on investing in, improving, and greening residential rental and mixed use properties in urban communities across America.
Angelides has received numerous awards for his work, including the National Inner City Leadership Award from the Initiative for Competitive Inner City; the California League of Conservation Voters Environmental Leadership Award; and the Congress for the New Urbanism Lifetime Achievement Award.
For over two decades, Angelides has been a leader in the movement for sustainable economic progress. In the 1980’s, he pioneered the planning and building of smart growth communities long before the concepts of sustainability were embraced by the marketplace. Among his ventures was the town of Laguna West...which sparked a national dialogue around building more livable, environmentally responsible communities.
Democraric Party/green activism
Angelides was the California State Treasurer from 1999-2007 and the Democratic Party nominee for Governor of California in 2006.
During his eight years in elected office, Angelides;
- transformed the State Treasurer’s Office into a force for progress, launching ground breaking policy initiatives. He directed $26 billion in state investments to promote smart growth and create jobs, housing, and opportunities in inner cities, catalyzing a wave of reinvestment in America’s urban centers. He put the weight of California’s $400 billion pension funds behind investment in clean energy and the fight against global warming – seeding the “green tech” investment revolution. And, he mobilized investors across the nation to usher in a new era of corporate social and environmental responsibility.
- If you look for any Democrats over the past half-decade who have actually challenged the current workings of American capitalism, you’re not going to find them on Capitol Hill. But you are going to find them in Elliott Spitzer, who has actually stepped into the breach created by Republican control of the Securities and Exchange Commission, and done the work of that commission while Attorney General of New York.
- Or California Treasurer Phil Angelides, who has been a major force on the state pension boards, calling for socially responsible investment of public pension funding and blowing the whistle on some dubious corporate practices. Angelides, unlike Schwarzenegger, pushes tax hikes.
Angelides chairs the board of the Apollo Alliance
America's Future Now!
- http://www.dsausa.org/dl/Winter_2006.pdf Democratic Left, Winter, 2006]
- Democratic Underground.com, Jan-01-06
- Our Future website: Take Back America 2010 Speakers (accessed on July 12, 2010)