Speaking with Bernardine Dohrn
Gerald Graff and former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bernardine Dohrn spoke together at a public gathering sponsored by The Center for Public Intellectuals & the University of Illinois-Chicago, April 19th-20th, 2002, at the Chicago, Illini Union; Bill Ayers and Barack Obama shared another panel at the same event.
"Intellectuals: Who Needs Them?
Panel I. Why Do Ideas Matter?
- Timuel Black, Chicago activist; Prof. Emeritus, City Colleges of Chicago
- Lonnie Bunch, President, Chicago Historical Society
- Bernardine Dohrn, Northwestern University Law School, Children and Family Justice Center
- Gerald Graff, UIC, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Gerald Graff of the University of Illinois at Chicago signed the statement.