Empowerment '92: A Call to Action Conference
Empowerment '92: A Call to Action Conference, was held June 6 to 9, 1992. African American community activists, joined with trade unionists, politicians, peace activists, environmentalists and others to discuss how to change the nation's priorities as the economic crisis deepens.
Of the upcoming conference DC Statehood Senator Jesse Jackson said..."We issue this Call to Action to reaffirm and reassert our vision of a true world order, one based on peace, justice and human priorities. our message, translated into action can, and must srt a new direction for our nation".
- Rep. Maxine Waters, (D - Calif.)
- Dorothy Height, President of the National Council of Negro Women
- Sen. Al Gore (D-Tenn.)
- David Dinkins (NYC mayor)
- Richard Trumka (President, United Mine Workers
- Dennis Rivera, Local 1199
- Ron Brown, chair of Democratic Party
- Sen. Paul Simon (D-Ill.)
- Karen Nussbaum,executive director of 9 to 5 National Association of Working Women
- Toney Anaya, former Governor of New Mexico.
- Peoples Weekly World, May 25, 1991, page 8