- 1 Education
- 2 Color of Change
- 3 Presente.org
- 4 ROC United event
- 5 "Resisting Together"
- 6 People's Summit
- 7 Ferguson
- 8 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 9 Early Harris supporter
- 10 Education for the People
- 11 Radical pizza
- 12 “Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century”
- 13 References
Matt D. Nelson is from from Medellin, Antioquia. Executive Director, Presente Action. Matt Nelson is the Colombian-born, Midwestern-raised Executive Director of Presente.org—the nation’s largest online Latinx organizing group; advancing social justice with technology, media, and culture. Before his work at Presente.org, Matt was the Organizing Director at ColorOfChange.org and co-founded several worker-owned cooperatives in multiple midwestern cities. He is a seasoned campaign strategist who has won dozens of local and national campaigns and a skilled community organizer who has trained thousands of activists. He was recently featured in the first major book on the Ferguson Uprising, entitled, "Ferguson is America: Roots of Rebellion", FergusonAmerica.org. He also contributed to the book, “Welcome to the Revolution: Universalizing Resistance for Social Justice and Democracy in Perilous Times“.
Studied at University of Wisconsin - Madison.
Color of Change
Matt Nelson worked at Color of Change until 2015.
Matt Nelson March 26, 2018 ·
WOW!!! It’s been an incredible past few days at Presente.org. Two major victories with amazing partners! When we organize, we win!
1) We blocked Trump’s Department of Labor from stealing workers tips, adding protections for millions of workers and defending $Billions in tips. And;
2) We were able to renew Latinx Netflix series One Day At A Time. Grateful to the amazing Presente team, our awesome partners in liberation, and the legions of Presentista members who make the movement move!
- Victory — with Kelly Ortiz, Erick Garcia, Erika Andiola, Elisa Batista, Oscar A. Chacon, Favianna Rodriguez, Gabriel Rey-Goodlatte, Reetu Mody and Erica Scott-Pacheco.
ROC United event
Matt Nelson January 13, 2018 ·
Honored to have such great Partners in Liberation like Saru Jayaraman, and the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC United) family. Such a heart-warming, inspiring, and powerful night with true Legends, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, working to end workplace harassment and demand #1FairWage for restaurant workers. Onward! — with Jocelyn Wong and Sharon J. Mulligan.
Matt Nelson June 13, 2017 ·
Today I had the honor presenting on an amazing "Resisting Together" panel hosted by Legal Aid at Work. So great to build with my colleagues and comrades Mana Barari, Elica Vafaie, and Cat Brooks. Such an important conversation about building enough power with the people to put out the Trumpster Fire. Onward!
Matt Nelson June 11, 2017 ·
KPFA September 2017:
We speak with organizers Jamala Rogers, Michelle Higgins, and Matt Nelson about the protests that erupted in St. Louis after local police officer Jason Stockley was found not guilty of first-degree murder for the 2011 shooting of black motorist Anthony Lamar Smith.
Matt Nelson February 10, 2016 - Matt Nelson with Jamala Rogers·
Matt Nelson August 9, 2015 ·
Connecting with the Author-Sister-Mentor @JamalaRogersSTL as #FergusonRemembers Mike Brown one year on. — with Jamala Rogers.
Matt Nelson August 3, 2015 ·
This labor of love (book) is coming out soon! Don't sleep on it! Ferguson is America: Roots of Rebellion! #FergusonAmerica. Honored to be part of such an amazing team! Jamala Rogers Azizi Blissett Dalychia Saah Glen Avery, et. al….
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Matt Nelson.
Early Harris supporter
Matt Nelson January 21 2019·
Just sayin...back in 2013. Kamala Harris.
Education for the People
Matt Nelson June 11, 2015 ·
And last but not least, Coleta's Pizza Collective! The 4th business (3rd chronologically) and the one and only pizzeria. The people and the pizza were equally unforgettable. Pizza y Libertad! So much community love, and I miss our daily community meals at Coleta's. Much could be written about our sacred pizza circle. To date, I've never had better pizza or worked with a better team of people. Yes to collective brilliance! Back then, I felt like we owned a slice of Milwaukee! Special recognition to Chuck. So honored to know this brother and continue to work with him all these years! — with Jennifer Ward, Charles Daniels, Jr., Iris Acevedo, Sangita Nayak and Leana Nakielski.
“Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century”
10th Anniversary Meeting of the Black Radical Congress, “Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century” Black Radical Congress, June 20-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri.