New Wave Party
In the spring of 1979, concerned students at the University of Iowa believed they were poised to help initiate a fresh movement of political activism on campus. Capturing this idea by calling themselves the New Wave Party, these students organized a progressive party within the university student government and entered the election campaign for seats in the Student Senate the following year. Since 1980, when they won 8 of the 21 seats, they enlarged their support base and solidified an aggressive platform built around their support of a wide range of social causes. Key New Wave Party activists included Joe Iosbaker, Stephanie Weiner and Linda Yanney.
'70s Anti-Apartheid network
Joe Iosbaker December 5, 2013 ·
This plaque is among my most treasured possessions. Remember Nelson Mandela! Continue the struggle against apartheid in Israel! Victory to the liberation struggles of oppressed nations!
— with Dennis O'Neil, Lester Dragstedt, Lynne Adrian, Tracy Van Quaethem, Carol DeProsse, Richard Berg, Jim Potter, John A. Smith, Daniel Hughes, Mike Ascroft, Bob Hearst, Andrew Harvey, Josef Ignatious Fortier, Amy Kratz, Bob Cotter, Craig Perrin, Mike Price, Michael Turnure, Patrick Kearns, Kris Penniston, Stephanie Weiner, Judith Mentzer, Chris Iosbaker, Joe Burns, Bridgette Sheridan, Prexy Nesbitt, Tomas de Bourgha, Kit Bonson, Brenda Barton, Anne Evens, Juliet Holt Klinger, Michael Harvey, Saed Abu-Hijleh, Chip Young, John Stonebarger, Robin Potter, Barbara Ransby, Keith L. Perry, Mick Kelly, Tom Wilson, Beau Barry, Amy Smith, Lj Yanney, Richard Saks, Bruce Nestor, Hermalee Webb and Bethany McIvor.
FRSO Womens Commission
PSN Steering Committee
Gulf War event
In 1991 a Freedom Road Socialist Organization/Forward Motion Forum was held in Chicago. Speakers were Bernardine Dohrn, former Nat. officer Students for a Democratic Society, Abdul Alkalimat, convenor Malcolm X conference, Camille Odeh from the Arab Community Center, Joe Iosbaker from Freedom Road Socialist Organization. Stephanie Weiner of Freedom Road Socialist Organization moderated.
Chicago New Party
In 1998 Willie Delgado won Chicago's 35th Ward (state representative for the New Party. His 15th precinct team of New Party volunteers included Yakira Nunez, Mary Robles, Sergio Vargas, Peter Shearn, and Stephanie Weiner, (wife of Joe Iosbaker), "who has also been working that precinct for 10 years".
September 24, 2010 FBI Raids
Sept. 27 outside Chicago FBI HQ
On September 27, an estimated "four hundred people gathered in front of Chicago FBI headquarters on Monday, September 27, to protest last Friday’s outrageous raids and attacks by FBI agents against anti-war and Solidarity movement supporters in Minneapolis, Chicago and other cities." Speakers at the protest included:
- Jim Fennerty, National Lawyers Guild (the attorney representing Hatem Abudayyeh)
- Stephanie Weiner and husband Joe Iosbaker
- Stan Willis, National Conference of Black Lawyers, Black People Against Police Torture
- Ahmed Rehab, executive director, Council on American-Islamic Relations (Chicago)
- Jorge Mujica, leading immigration rights activist
- Andy Thayer, Gay Liberation Network, leading Chicago anti-war activist
- and speakers from American Muslims for Palestine, International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network (Chicago)
- University of Iowa Libraries: Records of the New Wave Party (accessed on Oct. 2, 2010)
- [New Voices: Student Activism in the '80s and '90s By Tony Vellela]
- Committee to Stop FBI Repression: Who are the targets of the FBI and Grand Jury Witch Hunt? (accessed on Nov. 23, 2010)
- Revolutionary Communist Party USA: Snapshot of rally in support of anti-war/Solidarity activists in Chicago, September 30, 2010 (accessed on Oct. 6, 2010)