150th Anniversary of the Communist Manifesto
In May 1998 Julia Fitzgerald traveled France was a conference sponsored by the educational arm of the French Communist Party, Espace Marx. The conference was part commemoration of the 150th Anniversary of the Communist Manifesto, part call for international analysis of capitalism at the millennium.
She attended with several other Democratic Socialists of America members including Honorary Chair Bogdan Denitch (who was a speaker at the conference), John Mason (member of DSA's Internationa] Committee) and Robert Saute and Gina Neff (both members of the City University of New York DSA chapter and organizers of the Socialist Scholars Conference).
In addition to the DSA contingent, the Americans included representatives from the Committees of Correspondence (including Co-Chair Charlene Mitchell, who spoke at the opening plenary), people from Monthly Review magazine and the Marxist School in New York City and unaffiliated leftists, mostly academics. 
The Manifesto Commemoration Committee included Eric Canepa, coordinator; Sam Anderson, Sylvia Aron, Steve Brier, Mary Boger , Kira Brunner, Andrew Comer, Peggy Crane, Steve Duncombe, Peter Filardo, Rosa Garcia, Dan Georgakas, Joan Greenbaum, Ron Hayduk, Bill Henning, Diane Greene Lent, Danny Luce, Bill Koehnlein, Biju Mathew, Eli Messinger , Liz Mestres, Yusuf Nuruddin, Adele Oltman, Ed Ott, Leo Panitch, Renee Pendergrass, Merle Ratner, Colin Robinson, Rosina Rodriguez, Frank Rosengarten, Rob Saute, S Shankar, Sean Sweeney, Kit Wainer, Paul Washington, Juanita Webster, Ethan Young.
"Family and Gender"
DSA Renegotiate NAFTA petition
DSA Economic Crisis Group
In 2009 DSA member Rob Saute was the primary mover behind the establishment of NYC DSA Economic Crisis Group, which has since attracted the active participation of Karie Gubbins, Jason Schulman, Michael Hirsch, Itzhak Epstein, Peter Frase, and Chris Maisano.
- The NYC DSA Economic Crisis Group seeks to study the reasons why the current economic crisis happened and possible ways in which the local, national, global economies can be restructured along more democratic and egalitarian lines.
- It will attempt to use such understandings to conduct economic organizing in New York City, produce a small number of short pieces of popular literature on the crisis, and conduct public educational fora that will advance an analysis and program of action that reflects the ideological and political orientation of DSA in the broad left, which could use an infusion of the kind of visionary yet pragmatic radicalism that is our organization’s hallmark. Such activities will also be aimed at recruiting new members who are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the causes and consequences of the crisis and who are open to embracing the particular intellectual and political contribution DSA can make. We believe that these goals are achievable, and that any socialist organization worth its salt should have a theoretical and practical program concerning the deepest crisis of capitalism in 80 years.
Thanked by Zweig
"The Working Class Majority: America's Best Kept Secret, Second Edition By Michael Zweig acknowledged Joe Berry, Ron Blackwell, Jim Borbely, Ross Borden, Gene Bruskin, Jeff Crosby, Fernando Gapasin, Penny Lewis, Stephanie Luce, Maria Maisto, Jack Metzgar, Rachel Micah-Jones, Dennis O'Neil, Jay D. Mazur, Steven Pitts, Warren Sanderson, Heidi Shierholz, Craig Smith, Megan Smith, Ralph Trioche, Luis Valenzuela, Victor Wallis, Kris Warner, Devon Whitham, Anne Weigard, and Robert Saute for their help.
- [Democratic Left Issue 3 1998, page 19]
- Mail Archive website: Communist Manifestivity Conference Schedule, Oct. 28, 1998
- Democratic Left Spring 1999
- New York Democratic Socialist May 2001, page 1
- Renegotiate NAFTA website: Signatories to the petition to President Barack Obama, April 16, 2008
- NYC DSA website June 5, 2009