MinKwon Center for Community Action
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is a community-based organization founded in 1984. In 2009, as it entered its 25th year, the Young Korean American Service and Education Center (YKASEC) was renamed the MinKwon Center for Community Action. The MinKwon Center focuses on the promotion of civil rights, civic participation, community organizing and advocacy, social services, culture, and youth empowerment.
Board of Directors
MinKwon Center for Community Action Board of Directors, as of January 2018;
- Mee Eun Chang
- Chung-Wha Hong
- Byung Ho Kang
- Hee Sook Kim, CPA.
- Jennifer Heejin Kim, Esq. VICE PRESIDENT
- Sukon Kim, M.D.
- Sungok Lee
- Yu Soung Mun PRESIDENT
- Chul Pak, Esq.
- Michelle Park
- Sungyeon Park
- Yangsun Park SECRETARY & TREASURER
- Yong Chun Rim
As of January 2018;
- Seungwoo Back, CIVIC ENGAGEMENT FELLOW
- Eri Cahill, LEGAL SERVICES ASSOCIATE
- Ju-Bum Cha, SENIOR CONSULTANT OF STRATEGY AND SPECIAL PROJECTS
- Sonya Chung, IMMIGRANT JUSTICE CORPS – JUSTICE FELLOW
- Grace Cui, CHINESE COMMUNITY OUTREACH COORDINATOR
- Jake Dong, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
- James Hong, CO-DIRECTOR
- Julie Jo, OPERATIONS ASSOCIATE
- William Juhn, STAFF ATTORNEY
- Jisu Kim, PROGRAM ASSOCIATE
- Yoon Ji Kim, SOCIAL SERVICES DIRECTOR
- Jaehyun Lee, COMMUNITY ORGANIZING INTERN
- Kit Lee, IMMIGRANT JUSTICE CORPS - COMMUNITY FELLOW
- Michael Oh, STAFF ATTORNEY
- John Park, CO-DIRECTOR
- Quinn Haemin Rhi, SOCIAL SERVICES ASSOCIATE
- Ying Yu Situ, YOUTH & CIVIC ENGAGEMENT ORGANIZER
- Eric Yun, DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
Rally for DACA
New York City: October 5, 2017, the Asian American Federation held a rally at Trump Tower with our member agencies and leading immigrant advocacy groups to speak out in support of Asian American Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients, who are being impacted by the dissolution of the DACA program under the Trump administration. Twenty-three organizations and nearly 200 New Yorkers, including Congresswoman Jo-Ann Yoo, executive director of the Asian American Federation, Grace Meng, Council Member Margaret Chin, Assemblymember Yuh-line Niou, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, and Comptroller Scott Stringer, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Rep. Nydia Velazquez, Mayor Bill de Blasio Assemblymember Deborah Glick, Assemblyman Ron Kim, Assemblywoman Nily Rozic, Public Advocate Letitia James, Council Member Daniel Dromm, Council Member Rory Lancman, Steven Choi, executive director of the New York Immigration Coalition, Margaret Fung, executive director of the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Christopher Kui, executive director of Asian Americans for Equality, Annetta Seecharran, executive director of Chhaya Community Development Corporation, Mae Lee, executive director of the Chinese Progressive Association (New York), Wayne Ho, executive director of the Chinese-American Planning Council, Kavita Mehra, executive director of Sakhi for South Asian Women, Robina Niaz, executive director of Turning Point for Women and Families, joined hands with the Federation to defend the future of our DREAMers.
Rally Co-Sponsors: Adhikaar, Alliance of South Asian American Labor, Arab American Association of New York, Asian American Arts Alliance, Asian American Bar Association of New York, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Asian Americans for Equality, Chhaya Community Development Corporation, Chinese-American Planning Council, Chinese Progressive Association (New York), Council of People’s Organization, Desis Rising Up and Moving, Japanese American Association of New York, Japanese American Social Services, Inc., Korean American Family Service Center, Korean Community Services of Metropolitan New York, MinKwon Center for Community Action, National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance, New York Immigration Coalition, OCA-NY, Sakhi for South Asian Women, Turning Point for Women and Families, University Settlement.
- [http://aafederation.org/press/pressrelease.asp?prid=366&y=2017Asian American Federation, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 10/6/2017 CONTACT: Jo-Ann Yoo, Asian Americans Rally in Support of DACA and TPS]