- 1 WEB DuBois Clubs of America
- 2 Washington State CP
- 3 Meeting Ted Kennedy
- 4 People's World
- 5 Birthday Greetings to William "Red" Davis
- 6 CPUSA Farm Commission meeting
- 7 Endorsed Communist Party Call
- 8 Communist Party USA
- 9 Backing Barack Obama
- 10 Backing Barack in Baltimore
- 11 Campaigning for Patty Murray in Washington State
- 12 Clallam County Democrats
- 13 Peoples World personnel
- 14 Obama supporter 2012
- 15 References
Tim Wheeler is the national political correspondent of the CPUSA's newspaper, People's World. He has been a reporter and editor for the working-class press for 43 years. He lives in Baltimore, MD, and in Sequim, WA, with his wife Joyce Wheeler.
WEB DuBois Clubs of America
In 2014, Tim Wheeler was listed a a friend on the DuBois Clubs Facebook page.
Washington State CP
In May 1995 The Communist Party USA newspaper Peoples Weekly World published a May Day supplement. Included was a page of greetings to Will Parry, sending "warmest greetings" for his 75th Birthday. Almost all of the more than 100 endorsers listed, were identified members or supporters of the Washington State Communist Party USA.
Meeting Ted Kennedy
- I was a senior at Amherst College in the spring of 1964 when I boarded a chartered bus with my wife Joyce and our son Morgan, then less than six months old, for a trip to Washington, D.C., to lobby for passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. When we arrived in the nation’s capital we went to a hearing room in the Russell Senate Office Building.
- We were greeted there by a young freshman, senator from Massachusetts named Edward M. Kennedy. He welcomed us and offered some strong comments in favor of passage without crippling amendments of this landmark bill to end the shameful legacy of racist segregation. He was getting really wound up when Morgan started fretting. Joyce and I tried without success to quiet him and finally I took him and started for the door.
- “Don’t leave. Come on back and sit down,” Kennedy said. “A baby crying isn’t going to hurt any of us. Someday he’s going to be a Young Democrat.” The crowd laughed and applauded and I sat down. And as I remember, Morgan stopped crying. I never forgot that incident. Ever since, I’ve had a warm spot in my heart for Ted Kennedy.
In 1986 Tim Wheeler was a Staff Writer for the Communist Party USA newspaper People's World From 1991 to 2003 Wheeler served as editor of the Peoples Weekly World. Currently he is the Peoples World national political correspondent.
Birthday Greetings to William "Red" Davis
- In the fight for the unity and integrity of the Party in St. Louis, Missouri, in the post-war years, "Red" has been a rock of confidence and commitment to building the Communist Party.
CPUSA Farm Commission meeting
Party members present were Erwin Marquit, Helvi Savola, Jack Brown, Peter Molenaar, Morgan Soderburg, Bill Gudex, Mark Froemke, Scott Marshall, Gary Severson, Mike Madden, Becky Pera, Charlie Smith and Tim Wheeler.
Mark Ritchie (now Secretary of State for Minnesota) also attended and addressed the meeting. In a written report on the meeting by Tim Wheeler, Ritchie is referred to as a "non-party friend" of the Communist Party. The report was marked "not for publication". Click here for the entire report.
Endorsed Communist Party Call
On March 30 2002 the Communist Party USA paper People’s Weekly World called for a national holiday in honor of late Farm Workers Union leader Cesar Chavez. The article was followed by a long list of endorsersincluding Tim Wheeler, Almost all endorsers were confirmed members of the Communist Party USA.
Communist Party USA
Backing Barack Obama
- It is chilly and threatening rain but the media is predicting a record voter turnout of people fired up by Obama's message of hope. I rode down from Baltimore on a bus with 40 other volunteers. It was chartered by three members of the Maryland General Assembly who have kept us working diligently since we arrived. Nights we sleep on the gymnasium floor of the Y, strewn with mostly youthful volunteers from as far away as California...
- I have been canvassing with a friend, Rev. Pierre Williams, a United Methodist minister in Baltimore. We got a vivid feel for just how deeply Obama's message is resonating here going door-to-door in a working class neighborhood yesterday.
Tim Wheeler was in Obama's campaign HQ as the primary results came in;
- The Obama people are over the moon. I was at a precinct some four or five miles outside of Columbia, mainly a rural area. And it was a steady stream of voters all day. Overwhelmingly African American voters. There was a feeling of victory in the air.
- I'm at the Obama headquarters and you can hear the cheering all over. It's really very exciting.
Backing Barack in Baltimore
In early 2008 Tim Wheeler, his wife Joyce Wheeler and another Communist Party USA couple Jim Baldridge and Margaret Baldridge were all active members of Obama's Baltimore operation-organizing canvassing, phone banking and general campaign work. .
Campaigning for Patty Murray in Washington State
- The highest profile election victory here Nov. 2 was the reelection of Sen. Patty Murray. She defeated Republican Dino Rossi by more than 100,000 votes.
- I was asked to coordinate street-corner "waves" for Murray here in my hometown. We could tell Murray was doing well by the number of motorists, especially women, who honked and gave us the thumbs-up salute, far outnumbering the Republicans who gave us a sour look and the thumbs-down.
- My wife Joyce and I spent one afternoon canvassing for Murray up on Bell Hill, where my family once owned a dairy farm. It is now crowded with luxury homes with panoramic views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Mount Baker.
- One wealthy resident told me she had already mailed in her ballot, marked for Patty Murray, and was "praying for our country," that voters reject the lies of the rightwing demagogues. I told her that in my youth, I herded cows on what is now her front lawn...
- Washington State voters helped put up a firewall against the ultra-right in reelecting Murray, blocking a GOP majority takeover of the Senate. Victory was won when the coalition of unions and other progressive organizations succeeded in getting out the vote.
Clallam County Democrats
The Clallam County Democratic Central Committee Quarterly Meeting, took place Jan. 5, 2013, Democratic Headquarters
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Matthew Randazzo in the party headquarters , Port Angeles.
More than 45 people attended.
Elected precinct committee officers present were Andrew Shogren, Pat Johansen, Derek Medina, Marcia Farrell, Roger Fight, Kim Bowlby, Earl Archer, Steve Tharinger, Pam Stinson, Chuck Hatten, Steve Markwell, Sylvia Hancock, Loren Kruetner, Norma Turner, Joe McGimpsey, Ed Grier, Dale Holiday, Hank Warren, Kris Grier, Katie Osorio, Cliff Tassie, Mike Doherty, Graham Hutchins, Scott Clausen, Doug Lewis and Matthew Randazzo.
Others attending included Patsy Feeley, Paula Doherty, Leroy Martin, Jay Garrett, Ron Johnson, Jr., Max Mania, Nina Richards, Ron Richards, Tim Wheeler, Joyce Wheeler, Honeybee Wheeler, Dan Duncan, Dottie Nicassio, Richard Jepson, Barbara Jepson, Paul Martin, Tanya Altstatt Menchaca and John Marrs.
Peoples World personnel
- Co-editors, Joe Sims, Susan Webb, Teresa Albano
- Mundo Popular Coordinators, Rossanna Cambron, Barbara Russum
- Labor Editor, John Wojcik
- Political Correspondent Tim Wheeler
- Business Manager, Jenn Delgado
- Contributing Editors, Marilyn Bechtel, Pepe Lozano, Barbara Russum, W. T. Whitney, Joel Wendland, Roberta Wood
- Volunteer Translators and Copyeditors (list in formation), Sijisfredo Aviles, Jesus Alvarado, Bill Appelhans, Jim Lane, Owen Williamson
Bureau Chiefs and National Contibutors, Juan Lopez (N. Calif.), Rossanna Cambron (S. Calif.), Joelle Fishman (Conn.), John Bachtell (Ill.), John Rummel (Mich.), Tony Pecinovsky (Mo.), Dan Margolis (N.Y.), Rick Nagin (Ohio), Libero Della Piana, Scott Marshall, Elena Mora, Emile Schepers, Jarvis Tyner, Sam Webb
Obama supporter 2012
- FB friends page
- PWW May Day Supplement May 6 1995
- PDW Dec. 9.
- Peoples Weekly World December 9, 1995 page 19
- CPUSA Farm Commission report, Tim Wheeler, December 16, 1999
- CPUSA Farm Commission report, Tim Wheeler, December 16, 1999
- We salute the labor movement!, People's World, September 1, 2006
- The thumbs up win in Washington State, Tim Wheeler, Peoples World, November 12, 2010
- Clallam County Democratic Central Committee Quarterly Meeting, Jan. 5, 2013
- Contact the People's World, accessed Dec. 27, 2010