Raahi Reddy is a veteran labor organizer, having worked for Service Employees International Union for a decade, most recently serving as Organizing Director of SEIU Local 715 in San Jose. She has organized workers on large private sector hospital, nursing home, and public sector campaigns, and has organized healthcare workers in many states throughout the nation. Raahi also played a key role in the development of the Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance–AFL-CIO (APALA), the first and only national organization of Asian Pacific American union members.
She has taught at numerous APALA conferences and most recently in the UCLA APALA Asian Leadership School. Through APALA, Raahi has also helped ininternational solidarity efforts with trade union movements in Asia, and has traveled to China and South Korea to learn of their trade union move- ments. Raahi currently coordinates the Labor Center's leadership development programs with Bay Area trade unions, as well as the Labor Center’s campus outreach activities.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Youth Exchange An exchange of experiences among progressive youth activists. Helping to define the issues, methods and aims of the new movement among young people
- Lateef Daumont, raptivist, Cenceremito, Oakland
- Eric Quezada, youth service worker, East Palo Also, CA
- Raahi Reddy, student activist, Rutgers Univ., NJ
- Kim Davis, elementary school counselor, SF
Committees of Correspondence
The following are listed in order of votes they received as members of the Committees of Correspondence National Coordinating Committee, elected at the Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19 1992.:
- Angela Davis, SF
- Gus Newport, Berkeley
- Elizabeth Martinez, SF
- Alva Buxenbaum, NY
- Leslie Cagan, NY
- Peter Camejo, Alameda, CA
- Giuliana Milanese, SF
- Robert Chacanaca, Freedom, CA
- Mildred Williamson, Chicago
- Barry Cohen, NY
- Mark Solomon, Boston
- Barbara Lee, Sacramento
- Maudelle Shirek, Berkeley
- Raahi Reddy, New Brunswick, NJ
- Margy Wilkinson, Berkeley
- Yvonne Golden, Florida
- Mary Idosidis, Mill Valley, CA
- Pat Fry, Detroit
- Marty Price, Oakland
- Frances Beal, Oakland
- Marshall Garcia, NY
- Betty Kano, Berkeley
- Michael Myerson, NY
- Sharon Stewart, LA
- Carmen Rumbaut, San Antonio
- Maurice Jackson, Washington, D.C.
- Geoffrey Jacques, NY
- Arthur Kinoy, Montclair, NJ
- Melinda Brown, LA
- Leslie Shaheen, NY
In 1996 "Labor Activist" was published by the Democratic Socialists of America Youth Section Labor Solidarity Committee
Carmen Mitchell, DSA Youth Organizer
Raahi Reddy, Organizer, Service Employees International Union
"Union Summer was a great social experiment because unions were opening the door to young people from the community and saying we want you to participate, to take some responsibility," explained Raahi Reddy, an organizer with SEIU and the Union Summer 1996 Site Coordinator for New York City.
Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance
Center for Public Accountability
In June 2008 , SEIU Local 721 created a new Center for Public Accountability (CPA) to support external organizing by doing in-depth, action-oriented investigations and analysis on the quality, cost effectiveness and integrity of public services. The Center "will have an especially strong focus on privatized public services. It will provide support for campaigns to ensure that public funds are not used to fund substandard jobs; identify opportunities to partner with responsible public service providers and oppose abuses by irresponsible contractors. The Center will be linked to External Organizing and will work closely with other Local 721 Departments."
Center Director Steve Askin holds an MBA from Columbia University School of Business. During his 14 years with the International, he led strategic research that contributed to SEIU’s success in obtaining election agreements from such multibillion companies as Tenet Health Care and Healthcare Corporation of America (HCA).
Deputy Director Raahi Reddy is former organizing director of legacy Local 715 and played a leading role in that local’s campaigns to organized privatized public services.
- ↑ http://www.apalanet.org/ht/d/sp/i/71931/pid/71931
- ↑ Conference program
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ http://www.greenleft.org.au/1994/155/9068
- ↑ Convention program, July 1996
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20010211122648/www.dsausa.org/archive/LA/LabAct33.html
- ↑ Democratic Left, September/October 1996, page 6]
- ↑ http://www.apalanet.org/ht/d/sp/i/80015/pid/80015
- ↑ http://localsdev.seiu.org/about/President%27s%20Report%202008-08.pdf