Margy Lima Wilkinson
Margy Lima Wilkinson...
Margy Lima Wilkinson is the daughter of leading Communist Party USA activist Frank Wilkinson. She joined the partyat the age of 18 where she worked with Dorothy Healey before leaving a few years later.
- I can’t remember the first time I met Dorothy – I was probably 6 or 7. But my first memory of her is in 1952 during the Smith Act trial here in LA. Dorothy, my father and 12 other Communist Party leaders in California had been arrested under the Smith Act. Their crime? Advocating to teach the overthrow of the government by force and violence.
- The California 14 decided to base their defense on the constitution – specifically on the rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights – freedom of speech, press, and assembly.
- I don’t know if bringing us kids to court was part of a defense strategy to show what totally normal people these communists were, or if it was simply a matter of juggling child care and the trial. In any event we went to court. And what I remember is that on my first day in court – I was 9 – there was Dorothy, twinkling with energy and love, with a bag full of comic books, coloring books, crayons and games for us kids. I loved her madly.
- When I was 18, I joined the CP. Over the next dozen years I worked with Dorothy in the party – her leaving was not a surprise to me. I am more surprised that I stayed. Over the last 30 years I saw her occasionally and we exchanged a few cards and letters...
Communist Party reformer
In 1991 Margy Wilkinson , Northern California, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA membersto sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party"-most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
- Addendum to Initiative document Nov. 13 1991
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Margy Wilkinson, secretary AFSCME, Berkeley, endorsedthe Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.