For Loraine Reitman, if Manning is in fact the man behind the leaked information, she said, "I think he's a hero and we should all recognize that."
Military leaders believe Manning, who is facing a court-martial and a sentence of more than 50 years, is the source of 77,000 classified Afghan war reports posted on the WikiLeaks website.
"I think we are starting to understand the war in a way we never understood before," said Reitman, a writer with a local nonprofit.
She said the video compelled her to join and become a leader in the Bradley Manning Support Network. So far, the group has raised $50,000 from more than 700 donors for Manning's defense.
"If there's information that leads to troops being harmed, doesn't that fit the definition of being a traitor?" asked 10News' Michael Chen.
Reitman replied, "I believe the information is old and not sensitive. I think he was standing up to injustice within his own system."
"If we don't know what's going on in Afghanistan, how can we possibly make decisions about whether or not we should be there? I believe I am a patriot. I'm standing up for the best interest of America," said Reitman.
Bradley Manning Support Network
- Gerry Condon, national co-chair of the Veterans for Peace GI Resistance Working Group
- Bob Meola, member of War Resisters League National Committee
- Jeff Paterson, project director of Courage to Resist
- Loraine Reitman, privacy advocate
- Kevin Zeese, co-founder and executive director, Voters for Peace
Speaking with Marjorie Cohn
On May 8, 2011 Loraine Reitman and Marjorie Cohn gave a lecture at Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of San Diego, "Just What is Cruel and Unusual Punishment?", sponsored by Activist San Diego for Networking for Social Justice. This lecture was in support of U.S. Army Pfc Bradley Manning, he has been accused of leaking classified information to Wiki leaks. 
- http://www.10news.com/news/24707982/detail.html, San Diego News, Local Woman Leads Support For Military Whistleblower Loraine Reitman Among Leaders Of 'Bradley Manning Support Network' POSTED: 6:26 pm PDT August 20, 2010
- stand with accused whistle-blower US Army Pfc. Bradley Manning page. BMSN website, accessed January 24, 2011
- http://uufsd.org/2011/05/, Just what is Cruel and Unusual Punishment?, Posted on May 8, 2011 by uufsd ]