- 1 Support from Onward Together
- 2 Congressional Progressive Caucus
- 3 Medicare for All Act
- 4 Millennials For Revolution
- 5 #HealthcareJustice
- 6 Honigman connection
- 7 Made add for Porter
- 8 Political Organizer
- 9 Socialists Campaigning for Katie and Harley
- 10 Unity Party at Democrats of Greater Irvine
- 11 NIAC endorsement
- 12 Council for a Livable World
- 13 National Nurses United endorsement
- 14 Vote Common Good 2018 endorsements
- 15 References
Katie Porter (Democrat California), won election in 2018.
Support from Onward Together
Congressional Progressive Caucus
Shortly after the 2018 election Katie Porter joined the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
Medicare for All Act
In February 2019 Rep. Pramila Jayapal introduced H.R.1384 - Medicare for All Act of 2019. By May 29 she had 110 co-sponsors including Rep. Katie Porter.
Millennials For Revolution
In December 2018 Millennials For Revolution called for "progressives" Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Pramila Jayapal, Ro Khanna, Katie Porter to be appointed to key Congressinioal Committees.
Bill Honigman August 29, 2018:
YUUUGE thanks #MedicareForAll #Medicare4All #mfa #m4a candidate for Congress Katie Porter CA45 attendees and organizers of this rally for #HealthcareJustice. Onward to #FlipThe45th #FlipTheHouse — feeling motivated with Amanda Cotylo, Amy Wiwuga, Susan Meyer and Bryan Fazio.
Bill Honigman January 4 2019:
Just made my first ever call to the Capitol Hill office of my new Rep. Katie Porter CA45 @katieporteroc in response to Public Citizen's request to voice my support for her cosponsorship of HR1 to clean up our elections and restore democracy in America. 😁👍🌊🗽 — in Tustin Foothills, California.
Made add for Porter
Bill Honigman August 23, 2018:
Proud to be a part of making this very positive ad for my next Representative to Congress Katie Porter CA45, advocate for we the people and #MedicareForAll #Medicare4All #mfa #m4a. Onward to #Flip45 #FlipTheHouse !!! — feeling motivated.
Progressive Democrats of America November 21, 2018:
PDA's Dr Bill Honigman/Political Organizer Katie Porter Katie Porter CA45 Victory Block Party outside of her front yard in University Hills next to UC Irvine.
Socialists Campaigning for Katie and Harley
Bill Honigman August 29, 2018:
Great group today in support of Katie Porter CA45 and Harley Rouda CA48 to #FlipTheHouse for #MedicareForAll #Medicare4All #mfa #m4a and #HealthcareJustice — feeling motivated with William Moses Summerville and Octavia Tuohey in Aliso Viejo, California.
John T. Williams also campained for katie Porter.
Unity Party at Democrats of Greater Irvine
Bill Honigman June 17, 2018:
Packed house for Unity Party at Democrats of Greater Irvine in support of candidate for Congress Katie Porter CA45, and #HealthcareNotWarfare #WindmillsNotWeapons #EducationNotIncarceration and #CorporationsAreNotPeople — feeling motivated with Iyad Afalqa.
From an October 16 2018 NIAC Action press release.
NIAC Action is proud to endorse Katie Porter in her campaign to become the next Representative of California’s 45th Congressional district. For the Iranian-American community, Porter’s strong opposition to Trump’s Muslim ban and commitment to overturn the discriminatory order is a sharp contrast to the incumbent, Mimi Walters – who has been a rubber-stamp for Trump’s policies. Moreover, Porter supports the Iran nuclear deal struck under President Obama as an alternative to war and will oppose efforts to destroy the vital diplomatic accord.
Porter is no stranger to the Iranian-American community. Her district is home to over 20,000 Iranian Americans – the second largest Iranian-American population of any Congressional district. The Iranian-American community, she says, “is woven into the fabric” of her family’s daily lives – including at her daughter’s school and the cub scout pack that Porter led for many years. As a result of this strong connection, Porter plans “to be an engaged committed partner to Iranian-American families and the community at large” as a Representative in Congress.
With so much at stake, the Iranian-American community needs a fighter like Porter in Congress. Porter argues that the ban was “created to enshrine discrimination into immigration policy.” As a representative in Congress, she will highlight the toll of the Muslim ban on families in her district and “fight for judges and a justice system that recognizes the unconstitutionality of discrimination.” On foreign policy, while working to protect the deal, she will support dialogue between the two countries and seek to “hold the regime to international human rights norms.” Critically, Porter notes that broad-based economic sanctions “have only served to strengthen regimes hand by depriving citizens of their ability to make a living.”
Porter brings a wealth of experience fighting entrenched interests via her experience as a Consumer Protection Attorney, including by “taking on Wall Street banks and powerful financial institutions who cheat middle-class families.” Given this experience and her strong knowledge of the Iranian-American community’s hopes and fears, we believe she will help ensure that the 45th District of California – home to so many Iranian Americans targeted by Trump’s policies – finally has representation that holds the President accountable.</ref>https://www.niacaction.org/katie-porter/
Council for a Livable WorldIn 2018 Katie Porter was endorsed by Council for a Livable World. Again in 2020.
- The Council for a Livable World endorsed Katie Porter in 2018 when she defeated two-term incumbent Mimi Walters 52% – 48% as Orange County, CA, swung heavily from its Republican moorings to the Democrats. Porter currently has several Republicans competing for the nomination to take the seat back for the Republican Party.
- Before entering Congress, Rep. Porter spent nearly two decades taking on the special interests that dominate American politics. She was appointed by then-Attorney General Kamala Harris to be California’s independent watchdog against the banks. She is a former student and protégé of Senator Elizabeth Warren.
- Using this expertise, she gained a seat on the House Financial Affairs Committee where she has developed a reputation for tough questioning of heads of major banks.
- Porter has a near-perfect record in 2019 voting against the low-yield nuclear weapon for submarines, against the use of military force against Iran without prior authorization from Congress, and for deep reductions of the Overseas Contingency Operations portion of the Pentagon budget.
National Nurses United endorsement
National Nurses United 2018 endorsements in California included:
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-01 – Audrey Denney
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-03 – John Garamendi
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-17 – Ro Khanna
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-27 – Judy Chu
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-41 – Mark Takano
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-45 – Katie Porter
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-47 – Alan Lowenthal
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-48 – Harley Rouda
- U.S. House of Representatives, CA-50 – Ammar Campa-Najjar
Vote Common Good 2018 endorsements
Vote Common Good 2018 endorsements included Katie Porter.