- 1 "Special May Day Greetings, 1989"
- 2 Solidarity salute
- 3 Progressive salute
- 4 Communist Party's May Day Salute
- 5 Communist Party Labor Day call
- 6 Salt of the Earth Labor College
- 7 ”D-M Six”
- 8 Endorsed Communist Party Call
- 9 Raging Granny
- 10 WIDF
- 11 ACLU
- 12 Women's Equality Commission
- 13 Working with ACORN
- 14 HCAN
- 15 Health town hall with Raul Grijalva
- 16 Arizona "progressive" community
- 17 Attacking Sheriff Joe
- 18 New member phone bank
- 19 National Party Building Conference
- 20 Romero connection
- 21 References
"Special May Day Greetings, 1989"
From the "Special May Day Greetings, 1989" issue of the "People's Daily World" (PDW), Section B, we read the following: "Tucson's progressive community congratulates the PDW on its anniversary and sends May Day greetings to all our friends across the country. The need to struggle against nuclear holocaust, to preserve a liveable and pleasant environment on our planet, and to bring peace, justice and economic well-being to all humanity is now more apparent than ever. Join us to make a better world."
Most signatories were members of the Arizona District Communist Party USA.Signatories included Carolyn Trowbridge.
In 1991 Carolyn Trowbridge signed a Solidarity Day 2 Salute in the Communist Party USA paper People's Weekly World from Tucson. Most signatories were known members of the Tucson Communist Party, Arizona District Communist Party USA..
In May 1992, the Communist Party USA newspaper, Peoples Weekly World published a May Day supplement. This included a signed greeting from "Southern Arizona's progressive community", most of who were known Communist Party USA members.
One of the signatories was Carolyn Trowbridge..
Communist Party's May Day Salute
In 1995 the Communist Party USA newspaper People's Weekly World, published a "May Day salute" to the "heroes in the class war zone". More than 100 unionists/activists endorsed the call, mostly known affiliates, or members of the Communist Party.
Communist Party Labor Day call
Of the more than 100 endorsers listed, almost all were identified members of the Communist Party USA.
Carolyn Trowbridge ,Tucson, was on the list.
Salt of the Earth Labor College
2014 Salt of the Earth Labor College speakers included;
- March 22nd, HOW ABOUT A SOCIALIST USA? , Workshop/Panel with local activists Carolyn Trowbridge, Joe Bernick, and Dereka Rushbrook.
Even the judge who found a group of Tucson peace activists guilty of criminal trespass yesterday complimented the defendants on their commitment and integrity.
”I don’t believe your motivation was anything other than what you said,” Tucson City Magistrate Mitchell S. Eisenberg told the group, which has earned the nickname ”D-M Six.”
”I’ve never met anyone with convictions such as you.”
The group was arrested at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base on March 1, 1998, after it crossed the front gate in an effort to inspect the base for weapons made with depleted uranium.
”It’s a timely issue now that we may go back to war with Iraq,” group member Lisa Kiser said.
”Davis-Monthan has confirmed that uranium is stored on the base and that, yes, we will deploy if there is a war. There are huge safety issues with those (weapons) coming in and out of Tucson.”
The six Tucsonans convicted yesterday of criminal trespass for entering Davis-Monthan Air Force Base without permission are Gery Armsby, Felice Cohen-Joppa, Carolyn Epple, Lisa Kiser, Dwight Metzger and Carolyn Trowbridge.
A City Court magistrate yesterday said the group violated state law by trespassing on the Air Force base and sentenced them to unsupervised probation plus community service. A conviction for misdemeanor criminal trespass carries a maximum sentence of 30 days in jail and a $500 fine.
Tucson police arrested the six March 1 after they entered D-M without permission.
The group’s attorney, Paul Gattone, yesterday wasn’t sure whether he would appeal the judge’s decision to Pima County Superior Court.
”A lot was accomplished here today,” Gattone said. ”I’m proud of them. The judge by his own admission learned something.”
Endorsed Communist Party Call
On March 30 2002 the Communist Party USA paper People’s Weekly World called for a national holiday in honor of late Farm Workers Union leader Cesar Chavez. The article was followed by a long list of endorsersincluding Carolyn Trowbridge, Almost all endorsers were confirmed members of the Communist Party USA.
On July 13 2005, five Raging Grannies were arrested in Tucson for protesting the war on Iraq. Their alleged crime was entering a military recruiting office and asking to enlist in the U.S. Army, so young soldiers stationed in Iraq could safely return home.
A year later the Grannies — all old enough to be grandmothers, and some of them veteran peace activists — are still raging against war in the Middle East and injustice at home.
On the anniversary of their arrest, 14 black-shrouded Grannies, joined by 40 supporters, rallied at the federal courthouse. They then marched to Republican Sen. John McCain’s office to deliver a petition on Iraq demanding an immediate end to the U.S. occupation, the closing of all U.S. military bases and the removal all U.S. mercenaries and corporate involvement.
Earlier the Grannies sang some of their signature protest songs. They also heard from Raging Granny Carolyn Trowbridge and listened to a reading of an antiwar speech by Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.).
Women's Equality Commission
Working with ACORN
- Carolyn Trowbridge has worked closely with ACORN.
- We were told ACORN's Tucson contact left over the summer so we're not sure what the status is at their office. Carolyn Trowbridge told us ACORN's presence here has been hit and miss.....
Health town hall with Raul Grijalva
Congressman Raúl M. Grijalva hosted a town hall regarding the health and welfare of Arizona’s senior citizens on Wednesday, July 1 2009, St. Mary’s Hospital, Tucson, AZ.
Congressman Grijalva was joined by Jim Murphy of Pima Council On Aging, Carolyn Trowbridge of Quality of Life and Care Alliance, Wendy Cevallos of the Attorney General’s office, Dr. Mindy Fain of UA College of Public Health Center for Aging, Robin Landers of the City of Tucson Senior Center Representative, and Deborah Totten from Carondolet Health Network.
Arizona "progressive" community
- Arizona’s progressive community extends May Day and Cinco de Mayo greetings to all our friends across the country. We commit ourselves to join the struggle for jobs, equality, national health care, a fair immigration policy, and for peace and justice in the Middle East. Let’s make this planet a good place to live for all its inhabitants.
Arizona Peace Council, AZ4NORML, Campaign for Labor Rights, The Einstein Academy, Casa Maria/Catholic Worker East Valley Club Communist Party USA, Law Office of Payson & Gattone, The Latino Doctrine (TV show) Revolutionary Grounds Books and Coffee, Salt of the Earth Labor College Tucson Club CPUSA , Tucson Peace Action Coalition
Clyde Appleton, Mary Elinor Adams, Rolande Baker, Anne Brenner, Joe Bernick and Cat Stelman, Nancy Bissell, Jack Blawis, Don Buchanan, Richard Boren, Susan Clark, Rebeca Cartes, Eugenia Chilton, Jack DeWeese, Howard Druan, & DD Sande, Gregory Feesl, Ray Figueroa, Brian Flagg, Michael Flower, Sean Fowlkes, Nancy Gallen, Maggie Gerring, Michael Gray, Nancy Graham, James Hannley, Beverly Halkias, Jeff Imig, Mansur Johnson, James Jordan & Raquel Mogollon, Frank Jents, Marilyn Kramer, John Kromko, Jim Kincaid, Brandy Lintencum, Rob McElwain, Mary MacEwan, John Mackoviak, Jane Martin & Bob Vint, Jon Miles, Nancy Myers, Kathy Norgard, Richard Osburn, Ismael Parra, Nancy Pontius , Alice Ritter, Carlos Salaz, Sr., Mazda Shirazi, Rosemary Solarez, James Stewart, Brian Stevens, Olga Strickland, Donald Tewels, Dennis Tallent & Laura Tallent, Anita Torrez & Lorenzo Torrez, Carolyn Trowbridge & Keith Bagwell, Susan Thorpe, Steve Valencia & Janet Valencia, Edward Vargas, Steve Wheaton, Michael Wheeler, Susan Willis , Wendell Wilson, Deb Wilmer.
Attacking Sheriff Joe
In an October 2009 interview with Pepe Lozano of the People's World, Carolyn Trowbridge heavily criticized the famous Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio for his allegedly harsh treatment of Latino immigrants.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has removed controversial Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio's authority to arrest suspected undocumented immigrants on the streets based solely on their immigration status.
Carolyn Trowbridge, a Tucson, Ariz., immigrant rights activist and a state board member of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the government's move was correct. The Maricopa County sheriff "has clearly violated people's human rights on a grand scale" in tracking down and sweeping up anybody with brown skin.
- "In most cases he is clearly out of his jurisdiction and clearly he is also out of his mind...The guy is a maniac."
Trowbridge said Arpaio is known for causing confrontations with small town mayors and chiefs of police who speak out against his immigration roundups.
- "Arpaio and his posse will arrest anybody who looks like an immigrant and his definition of ‘illegal' is anybody with dark skin... Racism plays a major role here."
In March, the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division announced it was investigating Arpaio's office on accusations of racial profiling, discrimination and unconstitutional searches and seizures.
"There needs to be a real change in how we view immigration rights in this country and I'm heartened to know that the Obama administration is looking at this process in a more humane way," said Trowbridge.
New member phone bank
New member phone bank Public · Hosted by Communist Party USA.
Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11 AM - 4 PM EDT
Your living room
- We're organizing a phonebank to our new members on Saturday and we need your help. The callfire service allow you to make the calls from home, using your smartphone, laptop or deskstop. You'll get a real charge from talking to them! Aint' nuthin like it!! Please click "going" if you can make calls! Thanks!
Those invited to participate on on Facebook included Carolyn Trowbridge.
National Party Building Conference
Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 12 PM – 6 PM EST
Join Communist Party activists and members in a national conference. You can register here https://tinyurl.com/ycdouk3y
The conference will take place November 11th to 12th to plan our work in the fight against the Trump Administration and its white supremacist ruling class backers. Find information here about how to participate. http://www.cpusa.org/2017-national-party-building-conference-resist-organize-vote-grow/
The conference will be streamed from Chicago to regional meetings in New Haven, Los Angeles, and Orlando. Whether you’re on the East Coast, West Coast, in the MIdwest or the South, you’ll be able to participate.
Those invited on Facebook included Carolyn Trowbridge.
Regina Romero November 10, 2017 near Tucson, AZ ·
- People's Weekly World Aug. 13 1991 p 19
- Peoples Weekly World May 2 1992, May Day supplement
- People's Weekly World May 6 1995 p 2
- People's Weekly World Sep 2 1995 p 14
- PWW August 31, 1996, page 8
- SELC, Class Schedule for Spring 2014
- Tucson Citizen, Judge convicts, praises ‘D-M 6′.by Stephanie Innes on Dec. 11, 1998
- Peoples Weekly World July 26 2006
- [ http://peoplesworld.org/tucson-s-grannies-rage-against-iraq-war/PW, Tucsons Grannies rage against Iraq war by: JOE BERNICK july 28 2006]
- PW Women of the world unite for peace and solidarity, by: Carolyn Trowbridge June 22 2007
- [http://grijalva.house.gov/news-and-press-releases/congressman-grijalva-to-host-a-senior-health-and-welfare-town-hall-on-july-1/, Raul Grijalva, press release, Congressman Grijalva to Host a Senior Health and Welfare Town Hall on July 1 Tuesday June 23, 2009]