Million Man March
Key organizers of the Minnesota component of the 1995 Million Man March included Randolph Staten, Al McFarlane, Minister James Muhammad, Peter Hayden, Mahmoud Al-Kati, Tyrone Terrell, Bill English, Marvin Smith, Keith Ellison, Leon Tazel, Spike Moss, Andre Bullock, Rev. Devin Miller, Rev. Jerry McAfee, Raven Mason, Lester Collins, Alfred Babington-Johnson, Yusef Mgeni, Nathaniel Khaliq. The Million Man March was led by Louis Farrakhan.
Socialist Workers Party Activities
Chris Nisan, August Nimtz, Keith Ellison and their comrade Yusef Mgeni are mentioned in the Socialist Workers Party (SWP) publication “The Militant” as speaking at various events sponsored by the SWP:
- August Nimtz and Yusef Mgeni: “GRENADA: BLACK REVOLUTION IN THE CARIBBEAN”,
- August Nimtz and Yusef Mgeni: “STOP THE RACIST ATTACKS! RACISM IN AMERICA & MINNESOTA. MULTIPLE MURDERS IN BUFFALO & ATLANTA”,
- August Nimtz and Yusef Mgeni: “Malcolm X: the Struggle for Freedom”
Housing Panel with Keith Ellison and Julian Castro
Decades later, in October 2015, Yusef Mgeni became the St. Paul NAACP vice president, where he was featured with his old comrade Keith Ellison in a panel discussion about housing that additionally included then-Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro.
Teaching Catholic Children about Racism
In May 2017, Yusef Megeni was featured in a St. Paul area church bulletin. The Saint Thomas More Catholic Church featured Yusef Mgeni as a part of it's "Racial Justice and the Catholic Church" series.
- Book Study Series Exploring Fr. Bryan Massingale’s: Racial Justice and the Catholic Church Sundays
- "Join us for a series of discussions about our history of racial justice in the broader Catholic Church and within our Archdiocese. Sessions will be facilitated by Yusef Mgeni using Fr. Massingale’s text."
- [My Country Tis of Thee, by Keith Ellison page 91]
- Mgeni, Yusef and August Nimtz. “GRENADA: BLACK REVOLUTION IN THE CARIBBEAN,” The Militant, Feb. 20, 1988 LINK: http://www.themilitant.com/1988/5208/MIL5208.pdf, accessed May 11 2018
- Mgeni, Yusef and August Nimtz, et al. “STOP THE RACIST ATTACKS! RACISM IN AMERICA & MINNESOTA. MULTIPLE MURDERS IN BUFFALO & ATLANTA,” The Militant, November 9, 1980 LINK: http://www.themilitant.com/1988/5208/MIL5208.pdf, accessed May 11 2018
- Mgeni, Yusef and August Nimtz. “Malcolm X: the Struggle for Freedom,” The Militant, Sept. 21, 1980 LINK: http://www.themilitant.com/1980/4434/MIL4434.pdf, accessed May 11 2018
- President Bill Clinton’s White House Website (archived) “One America: Promising Practices The President’s Initiative on Race” LINK: https://clintonwhitehouse3.archives.gov/Initiatives/OneAmerica/Practices/pp_19980804.3503.html, accessed May 11 2018
- https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2015/11/lot-people-believe-twin-cities-needs-more-affordable-housing-lot-fewer-agree “A lot of people believe the Twin Cities needs more affordable housing; a lot fewer agree on where to build it,” Minnesota Post, November 5 2015, accessed May 11 2018
- http://www.morecommunity.org/parish/images/stories/documents/bulletins/20448_05-06-2018.pdf accessed May 12 2018