Workers Charter was based in Auckland, New Zealand.
On July 2, 2005, a Steering Committee of 20 - emerged from a Workers Charter meeting. Held in Auckland, those in attendance were (in alphabetical order) :
- Rachel Asher
- Paul Carrucan
- Cathy Casey
- Luke Coxon
- Stuart Fancy
- Cecil Fowler
- Roger Fowler
- Jennifer Francis
- Chrissy Holland
- Robyn Hughes
- Maria Humphries
- Daphne Lawless
- Matt McCarten
- Grant Morgan
- Pat O'Dea
- Sam Quayle
- Melody Shinnock
- Mike Treen
- Elaine West
Workers Charter conference
The Workers Charter Movement was the embryo of a new left wing political party, modeled on the successful British “Respect” coalition and the less successful Australian Socialist Alliance. It was also a co-ordinating body for militant union trade union activity. The “movement” published a “Workers Charter” newspaper.
- This Saturday, 7th October, starts 11am
Auckland Trades Hall 147 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn
- 11 – 11.10am Welcome from chair (Daphne Lawless).
- 11.10am – 12.30pm – Workers Charter, a paper for the movement – introduced by John Minto (editorial) & Bronwyn Summers (financial).
- 1.30 – 3pm – Unions in the 21st century – intro by Laila Harre (NDU), Andrew Little (EPMU), Sue Bradford (Green MP), Mengzhu (Radical Youth) and Joe Carolan (unionist & socialist).
- 3.15 – 4pm – Human Rights for Workers campaign – introduced by Vaughan Gunson (unionist & socialist) and Eliana Darroch (Radical Youth).
- 4pm – 4.30 pm – Graham Matthews, Australian unionist.
- 4.30 – 4.45pm – election of expanded, national editorial board of Workers Charter paper.
- 4.45 – 5.30pm – Climaction Day (4 November) to build a campaign for
System Change, Not Climate Change. Speaker(s) to be confirmed.
- [http://archive.indymedia.org.nz/article/72416/workers-charter-conference, www.indymedia.org.nz Workers Charter Conference Submitted by Anonymous on 4 October 2006]